PDA

View Full Version : Matt Murray Retires

StefanWolves
29-08-2010, 03:47 PM
A few days late but it's better late than never.

Popular Wolves keeper Matt Murray has today taken the difficult decision to announce his retirement from professional football.

After a long and arduous road to try and get back to fitness after rupturing his patella tendon, Murray has, at the age of 29, decided he will not be able to recover to the standard required for the professional game.

Murray this morning informed Wolves boss Mick McCarthy and CEO Jez Moxey of his decision, as well as his team-mates and the medical staff who have given him so much support.

It goes without saying that everyone connected with Wolves wishes Matt all the best wherever his career takes him, which could yet see him return to Molineux in some capacity.

Source - http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/News/0,,10307~2135293,00.html

Without a doubt he would have been an England international. During the 2002-2003 season he almost single-handedly got us promoted via the play-offs, like wise in the 2006-2007 season where if it weren't for him we wouldn't have made the play offs. Unfortunately, after both season leading the the play offs, Murray suffered multiple injuries meaning he missed, during the past 8 years, 6 years of football due to serious injuries and never fulfilled his dream of playing in the Premier League.

Feel so sorry for him. An absolute legend down the Wolves, many of you may not know him, but just YouTube him, he was a fantastic talent and would have been one of the best Goalkeepers in the country by now if it weren't for his non-stop injury problems.

Did I mention he was only 29? that's far, far to young for a goalkeeper to retire, but he had no choice, he just could not recover.

Good luck for the future Matt! You're a legend.

Deak
29-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Yeh i were guna say when i opened the post that it was a bit late, but nothing he can do if the problem is just going to keep coming back.

From what i saw of him he was a decent keeper, im sure he will become a goalkeeping coach somewhere in the near future.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!