PDA

View Full Version : Unsure whether to just drop media

Nemo
09-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Basically doing maths/further maths/media/computing atm. they all seem to be like a lot of work really, and considering i wanna go to perhaps oxford, im gonna need 3 A/A*s, so im gonna need to work hard. Thats where im like ughhhh, because having media, i just realised i'm gonna have so much extra work to do. It was my mess about subject, but do i really wanna waste a year ? (i was gonna drop it anyway at like A2), i imagine i could use the given free periods much better and time at home more efficiently.

But im unsure if this is wise only doing 3 A levels, and if i can even do 3 a levels. D:

Robbie
09-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Oxford won't like Media.

Nemo
09-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Oxford won't like Media.
So it would be better to drop it than do it? I'd rather not take another proper subject like physics since i honestly dont think i could handle all the work and whatnot.

also related to college, with further maths, im doing half the periods i am for all other subjects. Is that normal?

Robbie
09-09-2010, 03:53 PM
So it would be better to drop it than do it? I'd rather not take another proper subject like physics since i honestly dont think i could handle all the work and whatnot.

also related to college, with further maths, im doing half the periods i am for all other subjects. Is that normal?

Do it at AS but drop it at A2.

Nemo
09-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Do it at AS but drop it at A2.
But then im gonna be spending like a whole year, and surely it wont make that much of a difference in terms of how good it looks?

also edited my last post

Inseriousity.
09-09-2010, 03:56 PM
3 A*/As are surely better than A*ABB imo. Not sure if admissions tutors would agree with me but it sounds logicial in my head :P. My friend took 4 A levels too and didn't get into York because she had a B in one of them with As in the rest, which I thought was slightly unfair but competition is fierce for the top universities like Oxbridge and I think you were warned in the other thread that media wouldn't be a wise decision. In fact, I think in general a 'mess about' subject is a bad idea because a) they're normally not as easy as you expected and/or b) the time can be better spent doing other things.

Nemo
09-09-2010, 03:58 PM
3 A*/As are surely better than A*ABB imo. Not sure if admissions tutors would agree with me but it sounds logicial in my head :P. My friend took 4 A levels too and didn't get into York because she had a B in one of them with As in the rest, which I thought was slightly unfair but competition is fierce for the top universities like Oxbridge and I think you were warned in the other thread that media wouldn't be a wise decision. In fact, I think in general a 'mess about' subject is a bad idea because a) they're normally not as easy as you expected and/or b) the time can be better spent doing other things.Well i didnt really have anything else i wanted to put. My only option was to put a mess about subject, and my sister got an A in media without revising ans shes in oxford, but yes i agree the time can be spent elsewhere. However i am pretty sure i had to put 4 a levels on my thing. But would all the oxbridge stuff even look at me with just 3 a levels?

Recursion
09-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Media is frowned upon just about EVERYWHERE drop it asap.

I only did 3 AS Levels, dropped business in the first October and took the three on into A2 this summer, never looked back.

Nemo
09-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Media is frowned upon just about EVERYWHERE drop it asap.

I only did 3 AS Levels, dropped business in the first October and took the three on into A2 this summer, never looked back.
Thing is though, my sister got into oxford with that as one of her 4, so its not impossible with it which is what im concerned about (making myself lesser than the opposition)

mmhk.

Inseriousity.
09-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Well they do take students with 3 A levels, it's not impossible. I think people just panic at the term oxbridge and the media doesn't help with "COMPETITION IS FIERCE" type headlines that people feel obliged to take more than 3 subjects. I imagine that the people being rejected with 3 A levels aren't because 3 A levels aren't good enough but because the A Levels they chose is seen as too 'soft' for them. I imagine you want to study something surrounding Maths/computers so do the relevant subjects for that course and you won't get caught out by strict admission staff.

Personally, I think the whole soft/hard subject debate is a load of rubbish. Someone good at maths isn't always good at writing essays but that's the system that Oxbridge have. In fact, I think Cambridge even make it obvious with a list of subjects they don't accept with Media being on the list. I'll see if I can find it again.

Nemo
09-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Well they do take students with 3 A levels, it's not impossible. I think people just panic at the term oxbridge and the media doesn't help with "COMPETITION IS FIERCE" type headlines that people feel obliged to take more than 3 subjects. I imagine that the people being rejected with 3 A levels aren't because 3 A levels aren't good enough but because the A Levels they chose is seen as too 'soft' for them. I imagine you want to study something surrounding Maths/computers so do the relevant subjects for that course and you won't get caught out by strict admission staff.

Personally, I think the whole soft/hard subject debate is a load of rubbish. Someone good at maths isn't always good at writing essays but that's the system that Oxbridge have. In fact, I think Cambridge even make it obvious with a list of subjects they don't accept with Media being on the list. I'll see if I can find it again.Okay well it seems like ill likely drop it then, perhaps have a talk with my tutor.

And yeah, i wanna do computer science, which according to their website i need a minimum of 3 As, and they want maths. Further maths and physics would be better but are not required. I dont think i would be very good at physics so i just went with the further maths and maths and chose computing (which is fun but im also good at :P) So yeah. Thanks for the advice.

dbgtz
09-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Well in the end, if you think that media will affect your other subjects grades then drop it. If not keep it. It does no harm keeping it there. In the end it is just an extra qualification :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!