PDA

View Full Version : Standing Up on flights

Jordan
13-09-2010, 02:29 PM
You may remember an old thread I made about the possibility of standing up whilst flying. Well it's true. Problem is, they may not allow it in the UK.

http://l.yimg.com/i/i/uk/tr/front2.jpg
http://l.yimg.com/i/i/uk/tr/back4.jpg

An aircraft interior design company has released the first images of controversial new 'stand-up' plane seats.

Italian firm Avioninteriors, which is developing the SkyRider seat, claims it will offer both cheaper fare options and more capacity on board, reports Travolution.

The designs were released just months after Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary said that he planned to introduce standing room on his flights, with tickets selling for as little as £5 per passenger.

A representative for the company producing the seat said: “The SkyRider is intended as a new basic class. The passenger’s seating position is similar to that of a touring motor-scooter rider.

“This posture permits that the overall longitudinal space occupied by the seat with the seated passenger is far less than that of a conventional, very high density 28-inch economy class seat.”

It also claims that the new 23-inch seats will allow airlines to increase passenger numbers on board.

Air safety regulator the CAA is expected to turn down any proposals to introduce the 'standing seats' on UK airlines.

Alkaz
13-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Why not just let people lean up against the sides of the plane instead. Stupid idea from the start.

Etc
13-09-2010, 02:51 PM
I don't see this as very practica in terms of safety measures...

Imosae
13-09-2010, 02:54 PM
why would you stand up for hours in flight, im happy there not allowing it in the UK

Minstrels
13-09-2010, 02:57 PM
No doubt Ryanair will put it in use for flights from Ireland to England, Manchester to London etc if they somehow get permission.

Jordan
13-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Why not just let people lean up against the sides of the plane instead. Stupid idea from the start.
because of take off and landing, and tbh it is a stupid idea, it basically is a seat.

Mathew
13-09-2010, 03:57 PM
I think you're all being pessimistic and can't handle letting go of the past. We need to go forward and try new things rather than sit around (or in this case, stand around) and not progress.

I don't know if it's just me, but I really don't see why everyone is hating these new "seats" so much? Your feet push against the floor so you're not going to go anywhere during take off and landing; not to mention it is their intended use to be on short-haul flights, so your feet aren't going to ache. Again.. maybe it's just me, but if you could go from Manchester to Amsterdam for a mere £5, I'd be booking in a heartbeat, regardless of whether I had to stand up or not. You have feet - use them.. and stop shooting everything down!

kuzkasate
13-09-2010, 03:58 PM
stupid idea tbh but i sppose it might be kinda interesting some how.
but yeh, we shouldn't really call it a crap idea, cos we haven't tried it out ourselves yet so yeh.

Deak
13-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Interesting... but there will probably be some safety issues which need sorting out. At least people will be able to get cheaper flights but to be truthful i'd still prefer to sit down that stand on a flight somewhere.

wixard
13-09-2010, 04:09 PM
oh ok better than what i thought which was standin up like on a train

flatface
13-09-2010, 04:12 PM
oh ok better than what i thought which was standin up like on a train

i thought that too

i hope this happens, it looks fun

Jordy
13-09-2010, 04:17 PM
because of take off and landing, and tbh it is a stupid idea, it basically is a seat.It has elements of a seat but which would you rather do, lean on that or sit on a seat? They're quite different :P

I'm not against the idea, it's not like you're forced to stand up on flights, it's your choice. For any flight less than 90 minutes I'm sure it'll be fine.

.x.miss.angel.x
13-09-2010, 04:35 PM
it would proberbly something for short flights to places such as across the country, or to france or ireland

Special
13-09-2010, 04:42 PM
they look very uncofortable, i won't be flying on these planes if those seats are introduced.... i'll sit on the floor first

xxMATTGxx
13-09-2010, 05:52 PM
I think you're all being pessimistic and can't handle letting go of the past. We need to go forward and try new things rather than sit around (or in this case, stand around) and not progress.

I don't know if it's just me, but I really don't see why everyone is hating these new "seats" so much? Your feet push against the floor so you're not going to go anywhere during take off and landing; not to mention it is their intended use to be on short-haul flights, so your feet aren't going to ache. Again.. maybe it's just me, but if you could go from Manchester to Amsterdam for a mere £5, I'd be booking in a heartbeat, regardless of whether I had to stand up or not. You have feet - use them.. and stop shooting everything down!

Airport taxes make it so it isn't £5 though. I don't want to go on an aircraft that will fly above 10,000ft and stand up (in a way) for my whole flight, I would want to sit down in comfort but then again I wouldn't' go on RyanAir so the chances of me actually using these types of seats are quite slim. Either way, if they get banned on UK Airlines then way to go CAA!

Alexx..
13-09-2010, 05:57 PM
RyanAir is crap sitting down, why would anyone "stand up" on them flights?!

xxMATTGxx
13-09-2010, 05:59 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/09/13/article-1311623-0B2ABAE0000005DC-472_634x594.jpg

Better image of the seats above, they look much better in this image then the one in the first post of the thread. I'm not too sure about them really, I would rather have a normal seat over anything really. They also need to be certificated by the European Aviation Safety Agency before any airlines start putting these in! (well for Europe anyway)

Jordan
13-09-2010, 06:02 PM
they are basically bloody seats just you lift up a little

Mathew
13-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Airport taxes make it so it isn't £5 though. I don't want to go on an aircraft that will fly above 10,000ft and stand up (in a way) for my whole flight, I would want to sit down in comfort but then again I wouldn't' go on RyanAir so the chances of me actually using these types of seats are quite slim. Either way, if they get banned on UK Airlines then way to go CAA!
Still works out cheaper than now though!

Despite how crap RyanAir are, I still give them credit for wanting to go ahead with something like this. I suppose they can't make their reputation any worse though :rolleyes:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/09/13/article-1311623-0B2ABAE0000005DC-472_634x594.jpg

Better image of the seats above, they look much better in this image then the one in the first post of the thread. I'm not too sure about them really, I would rather have a normal seat over anything really. They also need to be certificated by the European Aviation Safety Agency before any airlines start putting these in! (well for Europe anyway)

I prefer the ones in the main post tbh, not sure how they can label these "stand-up" seats when you're sitting down!
The ones above look incredibly uncomfortable, especially with that lump coming up between your legs!

Recursion
13-09-2010, 06:28 PM
It won't happen, at least in the UK and USA, we have sane safety laws in terms of air travel thank God.

Jordan
13-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Yeah, we know it wont happen in the UK, it was obvious. lol :( I wouldn't have minded for a short journey

Narnat,
13-09-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't see the point in this :S .. If people want to stand so badly they can stand up and walk to the toilets. The seats look really uncomfortable and really small and just eurrghhh.

GommeInc
13-09-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm not sure what to think of them. Personally, I'd rather just sit down - £15 to Amsterdam for a seat is fine by me, seeing as the main reason for this seems to be about the cost of flying and space on an aircraft than comfort, judging by the article. It looks as though there are a lack of planes, or space on planes, when booking flights, which I am sure isn't correct, it's not the most difficult thing in the world booking a flight and if you can't afford the already small fees then you probably should avoid going anywhere at all. That's my analysis at least :P

Nuxty
13-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Never heard anything so stupid! Who would want to stand up in the air, secured in to one space, standing? Terrible..

Apple
13-09-2010, 11:34 PM
I would feel like such an idiot sat/stood in one of them things. It's as if you are 50/50, half standing up and half sat down. If it is comfortable and you are strapped in then I see no reason why it shouldn't be allowed for the shorter flights. However I can't ever see myself flying like that.

HotelUser
14-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Based on those images they look like they'd hurt a male in our--err--downstairs setup.

JerseySafety
14-09-2010, 08:00 AM
I wouldn't want to stand....

If i want to stand I just walk around or go to the toilet, useless if you ask me :D

Richie
14-09-2010, 10:22 AM
why would you stand up for hours in flight, im happy there not allowing it in the UK

I think its only for short journeys

I heard about this ages ago I thought it was a joke lol

GommeInc
14-09-2010, 03:55 PM
I would feel like such an idiot sat/stood in one of them things. It's as if you are 50/50, half standing up and half sat down. If it is comfortable and you are strapped in then I see no reason why it shouldn't be allowed for the shorter flights. However I can't ever see myself flying like that.

It does look a bit like you're squatting over a toilet, in those images at least :P

Sharon
14-09-2010, 05:28 PM
what a idiotic idea really. i don't see what good it will do rly lmao...
rather pay extra $$$$$ knowing i'll be more confortable.

Jordan
14-09-2010, 05:34 PM
I would rather pay 5 quid and do that for a short journey lol :P

:odey:
14-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Short, cheap journey? - Go for it,
I would NOT be doing that for more than an hour though, you can forget it.. :P

Luke
14-09-2010, 08:38 PM
I think it needs to be trialed before an asumption can be made. I reguarly catch trains, and usually have to stand on the return leg due to the 'rush hour'. It's a 2 hour train journey, and it's not that bad..

AgnesIO
14-09-2010, 08:56 PM
The seats look annoying - slanted on a seat??

Jordan
14-09-2010, 08:58 PM
The seats look annoying - slanted on a seat??
There slanted because it's creating more space, making it more a stand up chair thing than actually a sit down chair. If you get what I mean. Now I know this will most likely not be introduced to the UK, but if it did, I would definitely try it out.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!