PDA

View Full Version : The Afterlife

Inseriousity.
24-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Hey!

So being a spiritual person (spiritual, not religious), I've always been interested in other people's views on the afterlife. Do you think it exists? If so, why? What do you think it is? Is there anyone who believes in reincarnation?

Obviously, we'll never know the answer but that won't stop us trying to guess so let us know what you think and maybe we'll have a proper debate :D

Gibs960
24-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Personally I don't believe that there is definitely an afterlife but I think there could be! Reincarnation might be true also, I've thought about it and I think "Well, I might be in a different body, but I just don't remember!"

Dan2nd
24-09-2010, 08:39 PM
I'll be honest and say I just don't know, I do however often wonder to myself why I was born now, and why during the billions of years of our Universes evolution I was destined to be alive now. Also without sounding 'up myself' I find it extreamly hard to imagine that I only have 50 - 70 odd years left on this planet and then thats it, the world will continue without me for another Billion years like I never existed. That is my greatest fear in life that there will be no one to remember me!

I'd like to think an after life exists and one day I'd be reunited with loved ones that have passed on but until my day comes I guess I'll never know!

Fez
24-09-2010, 09:49 PM
The reality is that we can never know for sure. I fundamentally believe that your concious form, you reading this write now, just can't 'become nothing'. You can't just be 'nothing'. More than likely this might be beyond human comprehension but I like to believe in something that keeps me from panicking; peace.

Rest in peace.

Whatever is beyond there, we are without torment. Through the ultimate pursuit of happiness (family, career etc.) we can only guarantee our happiness to a certain extent. But we pursue personal peace, when we can rest and finally stop just 'thinking'. There's only one way to do that and that's to stop pursuing peace altogether, meaning that death is the only way out. Through not wanting to find peace, we find peace.

Get what I mean?

I'm not looking forward to dying, but I'm not scared either.

Apple
25-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I'll be honest and say I just don't know, I do however often wonder to myself why I was born now, and why during the billions of years of our Universes evolution I was destined to be alive now. Also without sounding 'up myself' I find it extreamly hard to imagine that I only have 50 - 70 odd years left on this planet and then thats it, the world will continue without me for another Billion years like I never existed. That is my greatest fear in life that there will be no one to remember me!

I'd like to think an afterlife exists and one day I'd be reunited with loved ones that have passed on but until my day comes I guess I'll never know!

I share the same thoughts as this. I don't think that we will die and that will be the end, whether or not we come back as another person (reincarnation) I'm not sure, I don't really think we would come back as other animals because we have a much more intelligent thought system than say a cow for example. It's hard to explain what I mean by thought system, I am talking about our minds/consciousness.

Whatever happens though, we will all find out when we die.

Bun
25-09-2010, 12:46 PM
i don't believe in it because i don't believe in having a soul, i think we just rot and decompose ha. however i am fickle because i know for a fact i would change to believing it if a close family member (or me) was about to die. i'd be like cya in afterlife xox.

karter
26-09-2010, 09:34 AM
I believed in After Life (yeah , kinda) But now now , after watching Inception.

ifuseekamy
26-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Not really, it's just a coping mechanism. The only thing separating us from other living beings is our level of consciousness. There's not much else separating us from other living beings like insects. We're just a bunch of individual cells being controlled by a few neuron impulses when it comes down to it.

Faye
26-09-2010, 03:14 PM
i dont believe in an afterlife. i believe that you only get one life and its up to you what you do with it and whether you make your time here worthwhile or not.

Arron
26-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Everytime I think about "what happens next?" i freak out. i hate not knowing what will happen to me. Well I know my vital organs will be donated, but I mean what happens. Will I ever see the sun rise again? Will I ever experience a different life with better surroundings. It's just a scary thought when it comes across me.

lmprovising
27-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Of course I believe in the afterlife, but I do not believe in reincarnation. I've heard in church that reincarnation was a work of Satan, don't mean to offend anyone because some religions do believe in it.

Moh
27-09-2010, 06:42 AM
They say that energy cannot be created nor destroyed - it simply changes into something else. So when we die, the energy within us will not die, just change into something else. So I guess in a way, that energy could change into another human one day.

I do think once you die.. that's it though.

Wig44.
28-09-2010, 08:47 PM
At an atomic level we are no different to anything else, our structure is different but every single thing on this earth, including it, was once part of a star. What seperates us from anything else? When you die you are recycled in a way, just like everything else when it rots. We are not different, there is no afterlife. The notion of the after life has been used to control people for thousands of years, so effectively.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!