PDA

View Full Version : Weekends Games

luce
24-09-2010, 09:45 PM
This section is like dead.

So who have you got this weekend and when have you got them!

we've got bolton and it should be a comfortable win

Arron
24-09-2010, 10:24 PM
no point in trying in this thread tbh!

Don't underestimate Owen Coyle's Bolton. They have the ability to upset teams at the Rebok. I just hope we don't concede silly, sloppy goals, especially last gasp equalizers/winners!

StefanWolves
25-09-2010, 09:59 AM
RIP Sports Forum.

Villa tomorrow. Wolves win.

Bun
25-09-2010, 12:40 PM
watford away, boro will win!

JackBuddy
25-09-2010, 03:57 PM
West Ham just won their cup final.

Wasn't really expecting much when I saw the team sheet- a back four of Hutton, Bassong, Corluka & Bale and Crouch up front. Lennon hasn't been the same player since his injury last season/ world cup. Typical of us for the opposition keeper to have a blinder too.

luce
25-09-2010, 08:10 PM
West Ham just won their cup final.

Wasn't really expecting much when I saw the team sheet- a back four of Hutton, Bassong, Corluka & Bale and Crouch up front. Lennon hasn't been the same player since his injury last season/ world cup. Typical of us for the opposition keeper to have a blinder too.

that was a bit of a shocker but it was cool that they got their first points from a neutral point of view.

I'm also glad that city one for the first time in my life slowed chelsea down a little.

Deak
25-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Played Leeds & lost 1-0. It was a shocking game in which sheff u was slightly the better team. Overall the game was destined for a 0-0 draw unless there was a mistake of which we made and they scored with their 2nd shot of the game.

AlexOC
26-09-2010, 12:06 AM
City 1 Chelsea ZERO

Solid, professional performance with a decent result. The work of future league winners i tell ya!

JackBuddy
26-09-2010, 12:51 AM
City 1 Chelsea ZERO

Solid, professional performance with a decent result. The work of future league winners i tell ya!
I can't believe how cautious you were, at home!

AlexOC
26-09-2010, 12:58 AM
I can't believe how cautious you were, at home!

6 - 0
6 - 0
2 - 0
3 - 1
4 - 0

I think Mancini had a small reason in his head for the defensive mindset.

Minstrels
26-09-2010, 09:34 AM
6 - 0
6 - 0
2 - 0
3 - 1
4 - 0

And they wonder why the sports section dies with comments like his, surprised you bothered to reply to it Alex.

luce
26-09-2010, 10:48 AM
And they wonder why the sports section dies with comments like his, surprised you bothered to reply to it Alex.

yep. I don't think any team will set up and attack this season against chelsea. we'll just play counter attack, as always. and then probably loose anyway :P

Andeeh
26-09-2010, 02:21 PM
2 - 1 victory against Oldham, top of league 1. New stadium around the corner. Happy days!!!

Arron
26-09-2010, 06:13 PM
heard on the radio we drew 2-2. not surprised really, i think owen scored. so to me it counts as a win :)

JackBuddy
28-09-2010, 01:56 PM

6 - 0
6 - 0
2 - 0
3 - 1
4 - 0

Here we go again, the all knowing Messiah is back on his high horse.

I was only saying that the game was one of the cagiest matches I have seen all season. I thought that being at home City in particular would have had a bit more of a go.

By the way, I was only referring to that game, not your previous 5.

Minstrels
28-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Here we go again, the all knowing Messiah is back on his high horse.

I was only saying that the game was one of the cagiest matches I have seen all season. I thought that being at home City in particular would have had a bit more of a go.

By the way, I was only referring to that game, not your previous 5.
Ahh I see. Well I quite enjoy our football at the minute, strong in defence and quick on the counter. Working on possession football, the Italian way and all that jazz. Must say, I prefer it to the way Tottenham are putting into practise this season. Why? Well look at the table.

JackBuddy
28-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Ahh I see. Well I quite enjoy our football at the minute, strong in defence and quick on the counter. Working on possession football, the Italian way and all that jazz. Must say, I prefer it to the way Tottenham are putting into practise this season. Why? Well look at the table.

It's turned into a "my Dad is better than your Dad" now.

There's 3 points between us and our poor results haven't really suprised me considering our right back and 6th choice centre back have been playing in central defence (along with a relatively poor keeper). Add the absence of Defoe to that and it doesn't exactly forecast amazing results does it?

Can you seriously not take anybody that isn't a City fan commenting on your precious club? I swear the only reason you read this forum to criticise rather than to contribute.

Minstrels
28-09-2010, 05:15 PM
It's turned into a "my Dad is better than your Dad" now.

There's 3 points between us and our poor results haven't really suprised me considering our right back and 6th choice centre back have been playing in central defence (along with a relatively poor keeper). Add the absence of Defoe to that and it doesn't exactly forecast amazing results does it?

Can you seriously not take anybody that isn't a City fan commenting on your precious club? I swear the only reason you read this forum to criticise rather than to contribute.
No, it's always been a footballing debate, a debate on a game built on opinions.

So you're putting your results down to injuries? You've had blunders against sides such as Wigan, West Ham and West Brom, teams you should be beating in the league. These teams should be beaten by teams with Champions League experience. Surely with your European quest 'Arry prepared and has a good enough squad? Either that or he's shown some inexperience. I'll let you decide whether it was down to manager inexperience with European football and the league to juggle or simply down to poor play from the team.

With the absence of Defoe that surely allows either Pav' or Keane to step in? Both good strikers. It's a bit like me saying with the injuries of Kolarov and Balotelli we only have Tevez to rely on so I'm not expecting much. You've got to have a big mentality if you wish to be a big club. Admitting that your squad isn't good is, in my opinion, stating that your manager doesn't know how to juggle European football and the league at once.

So you're saying the only reason I read this forum is to reply to posts? Well I urr...

JackBuddy
28-09-2010, 06:28 PM
That comment is you in a nutshell.

No, it's always been a footballing debate, a debate on a game built on opinions.

So you're putting your results down to injuries? You've had blunders against sides such as Wigan, West Ham and West Brom, teams you should be beating in the league. These teams should be beaten by teams with Champions League experience. Surely with your European quest 'Arry prepared and has a good enough squad? Either that or he's shown some inexperience. I'll let you decide whether it was down to manager inexperience with European football and the league to juggle or simply down to poor play from the team.

With the absence of Defoe that surely allows either Pav' or Keane to step in? Both good strikers. It's a bit like me saying with the injuries of Kolarov and Balotelli we only have Tevez to rely on so I'm not expecting much. You've got to have a big mentality if you wish to be a big club. Admitting that your squad isn't good is, in my opinion, stating that your manager doesn't know how to juggle European football and the league at once.

So you're saying the only reason I read this forum is to reply to posts? Well I urr...

Champions League experience? We've played 1 game (3 if you include Young Boys). Is that going to make us unbeatable all of sudden? Our 'failure' this season (despite being 3 points behind you) is due to a mixture of injures and a disappointing transfer window.

Crouch does a job but doesn't score enough (and sometimes doesn't suit our style of play).
Pav is frustrating to watch and cannot be relied on throughout the whole of a season.
Keane is past it.
Defoe is our best striker and it looks like we will miss him until he returns in a couple of months time. He normally starts the season well and it's no suprise we are struggling to score goals without him.
Last season we were lucky enough to have strikers finding form at various times throughout the season.

It's obvious that King and Woodgate can't be relied upon but who would have thought that Kaboul, Dawson and Gallas would each be out at the same time too?

Fabiano was our top target this summer. In the end the money behind it didn't make financial sense and if the deal jeoparidsed the financial future of the club then fair enough. There was little movement during the transfer window unless there were oil-rich arabs behind a club. Harry isn't afraid to spend money and if there weren't any players good enough available then there isn't a lot he can do.

I'm sorry but you post on here from your pedestal looking down from above with your vast and expansive 'football knowledge' constantly trying to disprove anybody's opinions just because you are all knowing. That post above is just typical of you.

I can't believe this has all started just because I thought City would give Chelsea a bit more of a game at the weekend.

Minstrels
28-09-2010, 08:09 PM

Champions League experience? We've played 1 game (3 if you include Young Boys). Is that going to make us unbeatable all of sudden? Our 'failure' this season (despite being 3 points behind you) is due to a mixture of injures and a disappointing transfer window.

Crouch does a job but doesn't score enough (and sometimes doesn't suit our style of play).
Pav is frustrating to watch and cannot be relied on throughout the whole of a season.
Keane is past it.
Defoe is our best striker and it looks like we will miss him until he returns in a couple of months time. He normally starts the season well and it's no suprise we are struggling to score goals without him.
Last season we were lucky enough to have strikers finding form at various times throughout the season.

It's obvious that King and Woodgate can't be relied upon but who would have thought that Kaboul, Dawson and Gallas would each be out at the same time too?

Fabiano was our top target this summer. In the end the money behind it didn't make financial sense and if the deal jeoparidsed the financial future of the club then fair enough. There was little movement during the transfer window unless there were oil-rich arabs behind a club. Harry isn't afraid to spend money and if there weren't any players good enough available then there isn't a lot he can do.

I'm sorry but you post on here from your pedestal looking down from above with your vast and expansive 'football knowledge' constantly trying to disprove anybody's opinions just because you are all knowing. That post above is just typical of you.

I can't believe this has all started just because I thought City would give Chelsea a bit more of a game at the weekend.
Indeed it is me in a nutshell, posting my opinion directed towards Alex and laughing at any potential upset coursed by a few letters on an internet forum.

You drew to Bremen did you not? Away from home too? That single game would have matured a number of players, all it takes is one game away from the norm and you get a small taster of what it's like. Then you can prepare yourself for the rest of the journey. Preparation is key in this game, as proven by your recent form because of "injuries", 'Arry should have prepared for them in the summer. Roberto Mancini, a man of European experience, has purchased a few players allowing us to have a strong first and second team when all fit aswell as an 'alright' third team who with a mixture of first team players (let's not forgot that a whole starting 11 wont be injured), should be capable of defeating the likes of West Ham in the league. I can honestly say if we played our first team aswell as Helan and Boyata or Mee and Boyata or Guidetti and Mee (you get the idea), that we'd win considering it's only a sprinkle of third team players.

It's what makes a strong team, look at Real Madrid, Kaka in the reserves for a bit. Look at Chelsea, Kakuta sprinkled in with the first team. Look at Arsenal, a third team with a lot of talent. You're failures have been down to incompetent management. Everyone knew that if you got into the Champions League you would need more defenders and strikers. What do you buy? A Dutch midfielder, who is good, but wont slot into your defence when needed in times such as now. I would also like to add that the 'three' points looks a lot bigger when you realise we've played Liverpool and Chelsea already.

What is your style of play then? Why do you have a player who doesn't gel with the team? Surely this is down to more lacklustre management? You complain you have no funds to purchase players to fit the way you go about your games, why not sell Crouch and purchase someone who does fit in all the time? You signed Pavlyuchenko for around £14,000,000, correct? You could have purchased Gignac for a million more. Keane is past it, once again, why not sell and add to the Crouch funds even if it is a million or two? Screams to me that it's down to poor management who underestimated the strain of the Champions League, and you're only three or so games in for crying out loud.

Indeed it is obvious that King and Woodgate are injury stricken and pretty much dead so why not sell them, flog for two million each. You've now got Dawson, Gallas and Kaboul. Use the money you spent on a Dutch midfielder who plays the same game as Modric and the lad from Pompey on a centre back then you can match him up with a youth defender like Manchester City would with Mee and Boyata, Manchester United would with Smalling and Evans etc.

If Fabianho was your top target why didn't you have a plan B and C? Gignac moved for around £15,000,000. Huntelaar for around £12,000,000 and Asamoah Gyan for around the same. All quality strikers and out of those surely one would suit your style (whatever that is). You spunked £8,000,000 on a midfielder you don't really need and could have put that towards a nice shiny striker or defender. Newcastle proved how to play the market, look at Ben Arfa. Could deal for them, if he's good sign him up after the loan if not tell them you wont be engaging the clause. Easy enough. If Newcastle and Sunderland can pull off deals such as Ben Arfa and Gyan I'm sure Tottenham are capable of Huntelaar and Gignac if they're willing to splash £8,000,000 on a midfielder.

Typical me? You really should stop going back to that same old point, it's rather boring now. Arf.

StefanWolves
28-09-2010, 09:02 PM

Keane is past it.

'Harry ain't no *REMOVED* wheeler dealer'

*REMOVED*

EDIT - LOL, just read Minstrels post in full, he's trying to take the piss out of Tottenham spending £8M on Van Der Vaart, when they spent £27M on Milner...

Edited by Amber (Forum Moderator): Please do not avoid the forum filter or be to rude to other members.

Minstrels
28-09-2010, 09:07 PM
EDIT - LOL, just read Minstrels post in full, he's trying to take the piss out of Tottenham spending £8M on Van Der Vaart, when they spent £27M on Milner...
Pardon?

StefanWolves
28-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Pardon?

er, pardon?

Minstrels
28-09-2010, 09:34 PM
er, pardon?
I'm just trying to spot what part of the post I took "the piss out of Tottenham spending £8M on Van Der Vaart", couldn't help could you? The only bit I can spot is where I said that although he's a good player he's not what they needed. They already had Modric and the lad from Portsmouth, they needed defenders and a striker. So as you can see, tad confused.

StefanWolves
28-09-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm just trying to spot what part of the post I took "the piss out of Tottenham spending £8M on Van Der Vaart", couldn't help could you? The only bit I can spot is where I said that although he's a good player he's not what they needed. They already had Modric and the lad from Portsmouth, they needed defenders and a striker. So as you can see, tad confused.
Okay, I phrased it wrong. You were hypocritical. Man City have something crazy like 12 midfielders. 12, yet you spend £27M on a midfielder that you didn't necessarily need. Yet you are saying Tottenham wasted £8M on a top, top class Midfielder when they have about 4 less midfielders, maybe more, than Man City.

Minstrels
28-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Okay, I phrased it wrong. You were hypocritical. Man City have something crazy like 12 midfielders. 12, yet you spend £27M on a midfielder that you didn't necessarily need. Yet you are saying Tottenham wasted £8M on a top, top class Midfielder when they have about 4 less midfielders, maybe more, than Man City.
Looking at Tottenhams website they have Bale, Bentley, Lennon and possibly Sandro as wingers. Which is good but Bentley has already made it clear that he wants first team action on a regular basis. Then they have Huddlestone and Palacios who both had good seasons with Spurs last season, but they've also got O'Hara who also had an excellent season who should be expecting first team action. Then they have Jenas who I believe JackBuddy has said is poor so I don't know whether Jenas knows if he's a squad player, probably considering he was halfway out the door to Stoke. Tottenham also have VDV, Dos Santos, Kranjcar and Modric battling for that single attacking midfield spot. Chuck in Rose expecting to break through and at first it looks strong which is great but not so great when you look at the defence and forwards. Then you have to question the purchase of VDV. Could that £8,000,000 be spent elsewhere? No arguing he's a good player but that £8,000,000 could have been spent on a player which is in desperate need, surely Modric, Dos Santos and Kranjcar would see you through till January at the earliest?

As for Manchester City, although we overspent on players we did it in a fashion which meant we're not left short. Yes we'll have selection problems but to an extent where it's players battling to start all over the pitch, not just in one area which is where Tottenhams problem is.

StefanWolves
28-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Looking at Tottenhams website they have Bale, Bentley, Lennon and possibly Sandro as wingers. Which is good but Bentley has already made it clear that he wants first team action on a regular basis. Then they have Huddlestone and Palacios who both had good seasons with Spurs last season, but they've also got O'Hara who also had an excellent season who should be expecting first team action. Then they have Jenas who I believe JackBuddy has said is poor so I don't know whether Jenas knows if he's a squad player, probably considering he was halfway out the door to Stoke. Tottenham also have VDV, Dos Santos, Kranjcar and Modric battling for that single attacking midfield spot. Chuck in Rose expecting to break through and at first it looks strong which is great but not so great when you look at the defence and forwards. Then you have to question the purchase of VDV. Could that £8,000,000 be spent elsewhere? No arguing he's a good player but that £8,000,000 could have been spent on a player which is in desperate need, surely Modric, Dos Santos and Kranjcar would see you through till January at the earliest?

As for Manchester City, although we overspent on players we did it in a fashion which meant we're not left short. Yes we'll have selection problems but to an extent where it's players battling to start all over the pitch, not just in one area which is where Tottenhams problem is.
*REMOVED*

Edited by dinasaw (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not be rude towards other forum members.

Minstrels
28-09-2010, 10:14 PM
did you seriously lookup on websites just to come back with that?

poor, poor you
Yes I checked the website to make sure that the point I was making was valid, which as far as I can see it is? I sometimes forget HxF is a forum for discussion, it's quite amusing seeing the users who articulate good, legthy posts which are able to continue a discussion without presuming the other user is in a tantrum, drift away from the forum and leave the drigs and drags who didn't add that much to the sports section when it was more 'healthy' to play with it until the section is a wasteland of two lined posts, must say you're doing a good job.

But anyway, as far as I can tell Tottenham invested in a midfielder where the money could have been invested in a more sensible investment. End of the matter for me unless I see a decent post, doubt it considering the likes of Adam, Adam and Harry, the old Arsenal fan (not CHA!N) have/are drifting away along with me. It's a shame JackBuddy and that Arsenal fan are still here having to put up with the otherwise drab posts from certain users.

Good night Stefan.

StefanWolves
28-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Yes I checked the website to make sure that the point I was making was valid, which as far as I can see it is? I sometimes forget HxF is a forum for discussion, it's quite amusing seeing the users who articulate good, legthy posts which are able to continue a discussion without presuming the other user is in a tantrum, drift away from the forum and leave the drigs and drags who didn't add that much to the sports section when it was more 'healthy' to play with it until the section is a wasteland of two lined posts, must say you're doing a good job.

But anyway, as far as I can tell Tottenham invested in a midfielder where the money could have been invested in a more sensible investment. End of the matter for me unless I see a decent post, doubt it considering the likes of Adam, Adam and Harry, the old Arsenal fan (not CHA!N) have/are drifting away along with me. It's a shame JackBuddy and that Arsenal fan are still here having to put up with the otherwise drab posts from certain users.

Good night Stefan.

*REMOVED*

Edited by dinasaw (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not be rude towards other forum members.

JackBuddy
29-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Indeed it is me in a nutshell, posting my opinion directed towards Alex and laughing at any potential upset coursed by a few letters on an internet forum.

You drew to Bremen did you not? Away from home too? That single game would have matured a number of players, all it takes is one game away from the norm and you get a small taster of what it's like. Then you can prepare yourself for the rest of the journey. Preparation is key in this game, as proven by your recent form because of "injuries", 'Arry should have prepared for them in the summer. Roberto Mancini, a man of European experience, has purchased a few players allowing us to have a strong first and second team when all fit aswell as an 'alright' third team who with a mixture of first team players (let's not forgot that a whole starting 11 wont be injured), should be capable of defeating the likes of West Ham in the league. I can honestly say if we played our first team aswell as Helan and Boyata or Mee and Boyata or Guidetti and Mee (you get the idea), that we'd win considering it's only a sprinkle of third team players.

It's what makes a strong team, look at Real Madrid, Kaka in the reserves for a bit. Look at Chelsea, Kakuta sprinkled in with the first team. Look at Arsenal, a third team with a lot of talent. You're failures have been down to incompetent management. Everyone knew that if you got into the Champions League you would need more defenders and strikers. What do you buy? A Dutch midfielder, who is good, but wont slot into your defence when needed in times such as now. I would also like to add that the 'three' points looks a lot bigger when you realise we've played Liverpool and Chelsea already.

What is your style of play then? Why do you have a player who doesn't gel with the team? Surely this is down to more lacklustre management? You complain you have no funds to purchase players to fit the way you go about your games, why not sell Crouch and purchase someone who does fit in all the time? You signed Pavlyuchenko for around £14,000,000, correct? You could have purchased Gignac for a million more. Keane is past it, once again, why not sell and add to the Crouch funds even if it is a million or two? Screams to me that it's down to poor management who underestimated the strain of the Champions League, and you're only three or so games in for crying out loud.

Indeed it is obvious that King and Woodgate are injury stricken and pretty much dead so why not sell them, flog for two million each. You've now got Dawson, Gallas and Kaboul. Use the money you spent on a Dutch midfielder who plays the same game as Modric and the lad from Pompey on a centre back then you can match him up with a youth defender like Manchester City would with Mee and Boyata, Manchester United would with Smalling and Evans etc.

If Fabianho was your top target why didn't you have a plan B and C? Gignac moved for around £15,000,000. Huntelaar for around £12,000,000 and Asamoah Gyan for around the same. All quality strikers and out of those surely one would suit your style (whatever that is). You spunked £8,000,000 on a midfielder you don't really need and could have put that towards a nice shiny striker or defender. Newcastle proved how to play the market, look at Ben Arfa. Could deal for them, if he's good sign him up after the loan if not tell them you wont be engaging the clause. Easy enough. If Newcastle and Sunderland can pull off deals such as Ben Arfa and Gyan I'm sure Tottenham are capable of Huntelaar and Gignac if they're willing to splash £8,000,000 on a midfielder.

Typical me? You really should stop going back to that same old point, it's rather boring now. Arf.

Jesus christ, Modric the same type of player as vdV? vdV is something we have been crying out for for years, we've never been able to play an effective 4-5-1. We played all of last season in a 4-4-2 and it was miraculous that we achieved the league results we did with that system. vdV gives us a 'Gerrard' type player who can play in the hole behind the striker, an attacking midfielder we have been craving for years. The purchase isn't questionable at all.

There were plan B's and C's. Huntelaar was on the market but we turned down the opportunity to sign him. Mistake? Maybe, but I'm sure the scouts and Harry know more about him and his game than somebody like you, or me. We were interested in the likes of Dzeko, Suarez and Fabiano initially. But when a £15m bid is accepted for a 30 year old Fabiano and he wants a 5 year contract worth £90k a week... from the top of my head that would cost around £35-40m during his time at the club. If there were no better options available on the market then I don't see why anybody should be bought if they don't upgrade what we already have. Harry said in the summer, he will get player who are available at the right price.

Selling players isn't as easy as you might think, the summer transfer window had such little movement when you exclude Milan, Barca and City. It makes business sense to get rid of the deadwood; Keane, Jenas, GDS and a few others were available but if there is no buyer then there isn't a lot that can be done. £8m on Sandro? We need a player like him, he's a huge prospect too. Have you seen Palacios play in the past year? Since his brother was found dead he has been a huge liability. Even Jenas has been playing instead of him as of late.

Sandro is a defensive midfielder, see above re: vdV.

Harry said he would get the right player if he was available at the right price. We weren't willing to pay the £25m wanted by Athletico Madrid for Forlan, quite rightly too. vdV didn't prevent the purchase of anyone else. I really can't tell if you are trying to say that having competition for places is a good or bad thing. The injury situation is unfortunate, and unlucky. The team can only do as well as they can without the players that are missing.

Honestly, I can't believe what this has escalated from.

Minstrels
29-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Jesus christ, Modric the same type of player as vdV? vdV is something we have been crying out for for years, we've never been able to play an effective 4-5-1. We played all of last season in a 4-4-2 and it was miraculous that we achieved the league results we did with that system. vdV gives us a 'Gerrard' type player who can play in the hole behind the striker, an attacking midfielder we have been craving for years. The purchase isn't questionable at all.

There were plan B's and C's. Huntelaar was on the market but we turned down the opportunity to sign him. Mistake? Maybe, but I'm sure the scouts and Harry know more about him and his game than somebody like you, or me. We were interested in the likes of Dzeko, Suarez and Fabiano initially. But when a £15m bid is accepted for a 30 year old Fabiano and he wants a 5 year contract worth £90k a week... from the top of my head that would cost around £35-40m during his time at the club. If there were no better options available on the market then I don't see why anybody should be bought if they don't upgrade what we already have. Harry said in the summer, he will get player who are available at the right price.

Selling players isn't as easy as you might think, the summer transfer window had such little movement when you exclude Milan, Barca and City. It makes business sense to get rid of the deadwood; Keane, Jenas, GDS and a few others were available but if there is no buyer then there isn't a lot that can be done. £8m on Sandro? We need a player like him, he's a huge prospect too. Have you seen Palacios play in the past year? Since his brother was found dead he has been a huge liability. Even Jenas has been playing instead of him as of late.

Sandro is a defensive midfielder, see above re: vdV.

Harry said he would get the right player if he was available at the right price. We weren't willing to pay the £25m wanted by Athletico Madrid for Forlan, quite rightly too. vdV didn't prevent the purchase of anyone else. I really can't tell if you are trying to say that having competition for places is a good or bad thing. The injury situation is unfortunate, and unlucky. The team can only do as well as they can without the players that are missing.

Honestly, I can't believe what this has escalated from.
So may I ask what role Modric and Kranjcar play? A Gerrard type player, you mean box to box? Gerrard doesn't have the technique of VDV. Surely Modric and Kranjcar are both capable of playing behind the striker, sending through balls in? After all, that's the aim of a attacking midfielder, to produce the goods for the strikers to bag and create gaps. May I ask why you played 4-4-2? You had the players to play an effective 4-5-1 with Huddlestone, Palacios, Modric, Kranjcar, Lennon and Bale? Or are they not deemed good enough? I'm struggling to get my head round that.

Surely you would have gone in for Gignac and Gyan? Both capable players and Gignac wouldn't have commanded the same wages as Fabainho who is looking for his last big pay day, in my opinion. You've said that Pav and Crouch are incompetent in parts of the season, why not look into Gignac? Good player who would deliver the goods when given the option.

Even loaning out the likes of Keane with a option to buy, for example the Ben Arfa deal, would make more business sense. You're not paying his wages for a year and could receive a agree transfer fee if he has a good year, if not atleast you didn't pay his wages. So if Sandro is a defensive midfielder why not play him instead of Palacios and give him time to get his head together, recuperate and then come back a brand new player. It'd be a bit like the impact of Essien coming from back from injury, a brand new player by the way you make it sound.

'Arry is right not to pay £25,000,000 for Forlan but if he was willing to spend £15,000,000 on Fabiano then pull out on the wages why not bid for Gyan or Gignac? Cheaper wages and around about the same fee, if not cheaper. The purchase of VDV is a good one, but in my opinion, the money could have been spent elsewhere. You've stated you need a defender, don't purchase VDV and allow Modric, Knranjcar and Dos Santos to play the AM role and purchase a defender with that money. That way when injury strikes you'll have three attacking midfielders and so many defenders. It's purely down to personal preference, some people prefer to have strength in numbers all over the board such as Mancini and others tend to see a good buy and quickly swoop, not thinking about the other options first.

Can't believe what's escalated? It's a discussion about football in a sports forum? If you're implying it's an argument then you're getting the wrong end of the stick, I'm pushing my opinion on the section and you're replying with yours, it's a discussion where no opinion can be wrong or right.

JackBuddy
29-09-2010, 05:10 PM
So may I ask what role Modric and Kranjcar play? A Gerrard type player, you mean box to box? Gerrard doesn't have the technique of VDV. Surely Modric and Kranjcar are both capable of playing behind the striker, sending through balls in? After all, that's the aim of a attacking midfielder, to produce the goods for the strikers to bag and create gaps. May I ask why you played 4-4-2? You had the players to play an effective 4-5-1 with Huddlestone, Palacios, Modric, Kranjcar, Lennon and Bale? Or are they not deemed good enough? I'm struggling to get my head round that.

Surely you would have gone in for Gignac and Gyan? Both capable players and Gignac wouldn't have commanded the same wages as Fabainho who is looking for his last big pay day, in my opinion. You've said that Pav and Crouch are incompetent in parts of the season, why not look into Gignac? Good player who would deliver the goods when given the option.

Even loaning out the likes of Keane with a option to buy, for example the Ben Arfa deal, would make more business sense. You're not paying his wages for a year and could receive a agree transfer fee if he has a good year, if not atleast you didn't pay his wages. So if Sandro is a defensive midfielder why not play him instead of Palacios and give him time to get his head together, recuperate and then come back a brand new player. It'd be a bit like the impact of Essien coming from back from injury, a brand new player by the way you make it sound.

'Arry is right not to pay £25,000,000 for Forlan but if he was willing to spend £15,000,000 on Fabiano then pull out on the wages why not bid for Gyan or Gignac? Cheaper wages and around about the same fee, if not cheaper. The purchase of VDV is a good one, but in my opinion, the money could have been spent elsewhere. You've stated you need a defender, don't purchase VDV and allow Modric, Knranjcar and Dos Santos to play the AM role and purchase a defender with that money. That way when injury strikes you'll have three attacking midfielders and so many defenders. It's purely down to personal preference, some people prefer to have strength in numbers all over the board such as Mancini and others tend to see a good buy and quickly swoop, not thinking about the other options first.

Can't believe what's escalated? It's a discussion about football in a sports forum? If you're implying it's an argument then you're getting the wrong end of the stick, I'm pushing my opinion on the section and you're replying with yours, it's a discussion where no opinion can be wrong or right.

Modric is more of a link up player, he is different to vdV. The reason we didn't play 4-5-1 last season was probably becuase Harry didn't think we had the right player to play in the advanced role behind the striker. Most of those "you should have bought 'x'" questions I cannot answer. Harry would have known who is available and being the manager, he decided who he wanted to buy and who he thought would be good enough to improve the squad.
Buying vdV didn't prevent buying any other players.

Modric and Kranjcar are both used on the left (and Modric in the middle in a 4-4-2).

I've lost faith in GDS, he's played on either wing and has done OK and when he has played as an AM he has just looked lost. He has been out on loan practically every season since he joined us because of his poor attitude and Harry gave him another chance to prove himself this season but he is yet to convince me.

Sandro is 21 and has just finished a very long season because of the Copa Libertadores, he wasn't included in the Champions League squad because Harry wanted him to adapt to English football first and I don't think anyone has expected him to jump into the first team straight away. It will take time for him to adapt.

There were clubs who wanted Keane on loan but next year he will be another year older, he was on loan last year too. I'm sure Levy would just rather sell him. I'm guessing that he would only have been sold if we bought another striker.

Walker
Hutton
Corluka
King
Woodgate (if you want to include him)
Kaboul
Bassong
Gallas
Dawson
BAE
Bale

At the beginning of the season I would have settled with that list of defenders, I still think that the injuries to the CB's is just unlucky. We managed last season without Gallas (and Kaboul before Jan).

Again, some of those questions and accusations I cannot answer because I'm not involved with the runnings of the club.

Nalfar
30-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Odemwingie > vdv

StefanWolves
30-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Odemwingie > vdv

Rofl, the Odemwingie effect won't last long. Dw.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!