PDA

View Full Version : Should NZ apologize to India?

ihatehash
08-10-2010, 05:38 AM
New Zealand morning show presenter Paul Henry has be called a racist and India has asked the New Zealand government to apologize. personally I don't think it is the governments problem. Yes you shouldn't be racist on tv, but you can not say it isn't hilarious. Also Paul Henry has be suspended for two weeks and will return soon.

Warning video contains some strong language!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhRvmNyid24

Warning added by Apple (Trialist Forum Moderator).

Apple
08-10-2010, 07:05 AM
I have watched it and he sure does take the piss out of her name but I'm not sure if it's fair to say he was being racist? He should certainly make an apology to her.

xxMATTGxx
08-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Unless the TV show is owned by the government which I doubt very much, I don't agree that the New Zealand government have to say sorry to India. The show and the presenter saying the content should do.

Minstrels
08-10-2010, 08:07 AM
Agree with above, it'd be like Andy Grey saying something about Germany on SS and Germany demanding an apology from the Government. India are just being mard arses.

karter
08-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Agree with above, it'd be like Andy Grey saying something about Germany on SS and Germany demanding an apology from the Government. India are just being mard arses.

Protest is obviously natural , The comment was very much rude . The Government anyways , need not apologize but this is at least worth an apology from the reporter and the news channel.

Minstrels
08-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Protest is obviously natural , The comment was very much rude . The Government anyways , need not apologize but this is at least worth an apology from the reporter and the news channel.
Watch a bit of Jimmy Carr, Fawlty Towers, Mock The Week, Bernard Mannings etc and you'll see it's just India being mard arses.

karter
08-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Watch a bit of Jimmy Carr, Fawlty Towers, Mock The Week, Bernard Mannings etc and you'll see it's just India being mard arses.

No country wants to be the base of mockery or joke. I guess its natural .

GommeInc
08-10-2010, 10:46 AM
The Government don't have to apologise. If India demand they do it's the same as the United States demanding the UK apologise for the BP oil spillage when the Government and the company are seperate entities. Does India not have a system where IF the woman was offending, she can make a complaint or is it all done through the Government, because they should be apologising to her IF she is offended, not the country.

He's not being racist though, just highly inappropriate :P He's being intentional ignorant about someone's name by mispronounciating it, which people do all the time but he just did it on TV infront of millions.

ihatehash
08-10-2010, 11:07 AM
The New Zealand Government have apologized to India to keep this incident from getting in the way of NZ's endeavor to start trading with India. I think it's a bit silly that a television show is getting in the way of trading though

karter
08-10-2010, 11:57 AM
The Government don't have to apologise. If India demand they do it's the same as the United States demanding the UK apologise for the BP oil spillage when the Government and the company are seperate entities. Does India not have a system where IF the woman was offending, she can make a complaint or is it all done through the Government, because they should be apologising to her IF she is offended, not the country.

He's not being racist though, just highly inappropriate :P He's being intentional ignorant about someone's name by mispronounciating it, which people do all the time but he just did it on TV infront of millions.

I agree with what you said but he was actually being racist when he said "After all it's an Indian name".

I don't think the New Zealand Government had to apologise , He himself should've apologised to her.

Neversoft
08-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Wow, was that on a breakfast show? Over here they would have cut him off, apologised or warned him straight after pronouncing her name wrong and Ofcom would have had a field day. Still, that guy is quite hilarious.

GommeInc
08-10-2010, 01:00 PM
I agree with what you said but he was actually being racist when he said "After all it's an Indian name".

I don't think the New Zealand Government had to apologise , He himself should've apologised to her.
Ah, well then he's probably being racist then. Difficult to say when he's clearly an idiot. If anything he was offending himself, his country and India with the childish behaviour :P

Pyroka
08-10-2010, 01:18 PM
I LOL'D ON WATCHING THE VIDEO OK but I'm not racist ;I

Serious though, New Zealand proper bent over and took one up the shaft just so they could maybe trade with India. Tut tut.

-:Undertaker:-
08-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Why should he apologise let alone the government?

Do we now all have a right not to be offended/hear things we do not like? (well we certainly do in Great Britain)

AgnesIO
08-10-2010, 05:43 PM

Do we now all have a right not to be offended/hear things we do not like? (well we certainly do in Great Britain)

If someone walked up to your mum and called her a 'fat ginger ****' you would expect an apology though. So I think HE should apologise - but not the government.

Just an example - thought of ginger because you have a very orange user bit (pic, vip, avatar). No offence meant Dan

Nemo
08-10-2010, 06:01 PM

I'm sorry but what a silly thing to say. When offending an entire country (okay, worse things have been said and this is pretty minimal), one should atleast apologise for being so immature and well, rude.

However, bit dumb wanting the government to apologise, just get the person who said it to and the network or whatever and that's that.

Oh and i didnt find the video funny, that guys laugh is ****** annoying

Wig44.
08-10-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm sorry but what a silly thing to say. When offending an entire country (okay, worse things have been said and this is pretty minimal), one should atleast apologise for being so immature and well, rude.

However, bit dumb wanting the government to apologise, just get the person who said it to and the network or whatever and that's that.

An entire country? No, he said things about one woman. Secondly, he was not racist. He didn't say her name is **** because of her skin colour or anything. I think people need to learn that people have the right to say and believe what they want, no matter how ignorant that is and that india has been far too sensitive with this. Despite their trading efforts I really don't think NZ should have apologised to India.. what first impression does that set? Hey, we're New Zealand, feel free to bend us over and **** us anytime you want!

GommeInc
08-10-2010, 06:14 PM
That's what got me to be fair. It wasn't funny at all, it was just irritating because he obviously was doing it for a reaction. I'm amazed the woman next to him didn't punch him in the jaw, she looked a bit annoyed and so did the guy who corrected him :/

08-10-2010, 07:24 PM
If someone walked up to your mum and called her a 'fat ginger ****' you would expect an apology though. So I think HE should apologise - but not the government.

Just an example - thought of ginger because you have a very orange user bit (pic, vip, avatar). No offence meant Dan

Then that is upto him to apologise, not for you and the rest of the politically correct brigade to force that apology from him (because then its obviously not an apology is it). I understand people may not like what he said, but for gods sake - he has a right to say it.

With your example by the way, I wouldn't get offended because I rarely ever get offended - because I understand the simple concept that people can say whatever they want in a supposed free country and i'm glad that I can also exercise that freedom and so should you be.

No it isn't a silly thing to say, you have no rights to not be offended.

That's what got me to be fair. It wasn't funny at all, it was just irritating because he obviously was doing it for a reaction. I'm amazed the woman next to him didn't punch him in the jaw, she looked a bit annoyed and so did the guy who corrected him :/

But isn't it great that we live in a (supposed) world where people can say what they want.. but judging by the over the top reactions by some on here aswell, that idea goes out of the window.

Its time people get over themselves/taking offense at everything.

But overall what I find really interesting and disturbing at the same time is the outcry over non-issues such as this where people get offended for the sake of it over a TV programme in another country - at a time when there are wars and sinister motives going on around the world - but then I guess thats just the typical dumbing down of the media.

AgnesIO
08-10-2010, 07:29 PM
-:undertaker:- you are a pathetic waste of space, and this forum would be ten times better if you weren't on it.

---

I do not actually think this, as I do enjoy your presence. But some times free speech isn't the right thing - as seen above. Although it isn't our choice to decide what happens to this guy, this is a debate, so obviously we are going to debate our reasons.

Again Dan, I was not aiming to hurt your feelings there. Just showing how free speech is not always a good thing.

08-10-2010, 07:36 PM
-:undertaker:- you are a pathetic waste of space, and this forum would be ten times better if you weren't on it.

---

I do not actually think this, as I do enjoy your presence. But some times free speech isn't the right thing - as seen above. Although it isn't our choice to decide what happens to this guy, this is a debate, so obviously we are going to debate our reasons.

Again Dan, I was not aiming to hurt your feelings there. Just showing how free speech is not always a good thing.

I haven't got one problem with what you just said even if you meant it - thats your view and you have a right to air it (especially considering we are on a forum). Free speech is always a great thing - the only people who have feared free speech throughout history have been dictators/politicians/the bad guys in general who have everything to loose by the truth being aired.

I will give one example, if somebody said they hated this country and they wanted say, a world government - I love this country but that does not offend me what they've said - instead of trying to ban what they've said/slander them, you debate it.

Swastika
08-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Quite an idiot that presenter, i have to say - there was only him laughing, everybody else looked puzzled?

GommeInc
08-10-2010, 08:57 PM
I will give one example, if somebody said they hated this country and they wanted say, a world government - I love this country but that does not offend me what they've said - instead of trying to ban what they've said/slander them, you debate it.
But there is no reason to debate what happened in New Zealand with this clearly troubled man. He wasn't at all funny. He was annoying and quite insulting. Sure he has free speech, and as you said - you debate it. There's nothing really to debate here, the conclusion is he's an idiot and he may have offended this person who has quite a bit to do with the games. However, it is one huge over-reaction and could of easily of been done in private.

Tintinnabulate
08-10-2010, 10:30 PM
He is a moron anyway. And its because he said "so appropriate because she is Indian".

Anyway Jeremy Clarkson had to apologise for calling Brown a dumb Scottish so...

ihatehash
09-10-2010, 01:24 AM
Here is a collection of some of Paul Henry's past moments that have also caused uproar in New Zealand. Also TVNZ is reconsidering sacking Paul for this past incident.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/video.cfm?c_id=1501119&gal_objectid=10679225&gallery_id=114354

karter
09-10-2010, 04:19 AM
An entire country? No, he said things about one woman. Secondly, he was not racist. He didn't say her name is **** because of her skin colour or anything. I think people need to learn that people have the right to say and believe what they want, no matter how ignorant that is and that india has been far too sensitive with this. Despite their trading efforts I really don't think NZ should have apologised to India.. what first impression does that set? Hey, we're New Zealand, feel free to bend us over and **** us anytime you want!

About one women? If you listen to it carefully , he made a remark "After all its an Indian name".
Secondly , Racism is not always on the basis of your skin colour , its on the basis of one's Race , well let's see , If i call you a stupid Kiwi , for Instance ,won't you consider that a Racist remark? thirdly , no , People don't have the right to say anything about anyone.

Wig44.
09-10-2010, 07:42 PM
About one women? If you listen to it carefully , he made a remark "After all its an Indian name".
Secondly , Racism is not always on the basis of your skin colour , its on the basis of one's Race , well let's see , If i call you a stupid Kiwi , for Instance ,won't you consider that a Racist remark? thirdly , no , People don't have the right to say anything about anyone.

Firstly I'm british so that doesn't offend me - if I was from NZ that wouldn't offend me anyway. He said that her name was appropriate because she is indian, referring to HER. So yes, it was only about her. Thirdly, I can say whatever I want about whoever I want. Any attempt to stop me is censorship. What on earth makes you think you can tell me I can't say what I want?

Plus if you listen carefully he actually says 'it's so appropriate because she is indian' and if I'm not mistaken he is referring to preparations for the commonwealth games. It is not racism, if they hadn't had the commonwealth games there would be no pun. Stop being a pathetically sensitive PC moron. I'd like to point out that just because I can't say you're an idiot on these forums (which you are) doesn't mean that is how it is in reality. There is no freedom of speech on these forums. Chances are mods will jump all over this post like a priest on a young child.

Callum.
09-10-2010, 08:22 PM
His high laugh really got me going, it is hilarious no doubt.

Describe
09-10-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm sorry but that's ******* hilarious. Her name is clearly written down the way he is saying it and so everybody should know of her stupid name!

I wonder if India would be surprised to hear that a large, vast majority of people actually make fun of them based around the same sort of substance. I wouldn't have got the part where he said "well maybe she should be a **** in ****, do you know what I mean?" if people weren't openly racist.

He shouldn't apologise, he should be given a medal.

AgnesIO
09-10-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm sorry but that's ******* hilarious. Her name is clearly written down the way he is saying it and so everybody should know of her stupid name!

I wonder if India would be surprised to hear that a large, vast majority of people actually make fun of them based around the same sort of substance. I wouldn't have got the part where he said "well maybe she should be a **** in ****, do you know what I mean?" if people weren't openly racist.

Racist and ignorant post. You sir need to sort your morals out.

Describe
09-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Firstly, I didn't notice we were in the debating section. This is a section I don't post in; I apologise for not actually debating anything.

I only highlighted the fact that I feel India are oblivious to racism, I'm not hugely racist but I can't say I don't crack a few jokes when I'm out with my friends or that, I honestly don't think anybody wouldn't find this funny; get a sense of humour. Did you find this video funny?

09-10-2010, 11:21 PM

Where is the racism in that post? if anything, you are the ignorant one who throws words around willy nilly.

Speaking of racism and India though as we are, the caste system still exists there where the darker you are = the more unworthy you are. I would advise yourself and many others on this forum to go and find out the real meaning of racism and where it really goes on en mass; China, India, Japan - Asia in general. Infact (and rather ironically) it is your group (the politically correct and over-reactionaries) who fuel the fires of hatred and division.

You devalue words.
You turn people against one another.
You slur those who have anything differing to say.

karter
10-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Firstly I'm british so that doesn't offend me - if I was from NZ that wouldn't offend me anyway. He said that her name was appropriate because she is indian, referring to HER. So yes, it was only about her. Thirdly, I can say whatever I want about whoever I want. Any attempt to stop me is censorship. What on earth makes you think you can tell me I can't say what I want?

Plus if you listen carefully he actually says 'it's so appropriate because she is indian' and if I'm not mistaken he is referring to preparations for the commonwealth games. It is not racism, if they hadn't had the commonwealth games there would be no pun. Stop being a pathetically sensitive PC moron. I'd like to point out that just because I can't say you're an idiot on these forums (which you are) doesn't mean that is how it is in reality. There is no freedom of speech on these forums. Chances are mods will jump all over this post like a priest on a young child.

First of all thank you for that really nice compliment that I am an idiot.
Since you called me an idiot and a sensitve PC moron , I would like to ask you , How is he referring to the preparation of Commonwealth games by saying "it's so inappropriate because she is Indian"? I don't think there were many glitches in the games . In fact , it was New Zealand who actually praised the Commonwealth preparation in India, and how is that not racism when he is actually making fun or speaking about her Nationality. You sir , are really overreacting to my reply. Rather than creating such rage , you actually learn the meaning of Racism

10-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Since you called me an idiot and a sensitve PC moron , I would like to ask you , How is he referring to the preparation of Commonwealth games by saying "it's so inappropriate because she is Indian"? I don't think there were many glitches in the games . In fact , it was New Zealand who actually praised the Commonwealth preparation in India, and how is that not racism when he is actually making fun or speaking about her Nationality. You sir , are really overreacting to my reply. Rather than creating such rage , you actually learn the meaning of Racism

Racism is to do with skin colour, not nationality or dialect.

karter
10-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Racism is to do with skin colour, not nationality or dialect.

Here is the definition of Racism : The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

10-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Here is the definition of Racism : The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

Yes, so thats what i'm saying; it is looking down on somebody for their skin colour - so it depends on whether you support civic nationalism or ethnic nationalism (to an extent but its not really the point). I suspect you support civic nationalism like myself, so again I will ask; which part of that video did we hear that presenter say something racist? because he did not mention race once.

For what he said to be classed as racism, he would have to mention a race and then say something about them that was negative and looked down on them because of their skin colour. Of course that brings us back to the point; he wasn't being racist in the slightest.

karter
10-10-2010, 12:21 PM
"it's so inappropriate because she is Indian"

Many of you won't consider this Racism , but it is , actually.

10-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Many of you won't consider this Racism , but it is , actually.

Why and how is that racism?

Could you explain where exactly he looks down on Indians, because being an Indian is civic nationalism and is not ethnic nationalism. To be an Indian is not a race. India is full of differing races. So again i'll ask, where does he mention race and where does he slur that particular race?

Some quotes please that back up them two core points.

GommeInc
10-10-2010, 01:16 PM

1. How is her name stupid? :/
2. Ah yes, a large majority of perfectly stupid individuals who would probably laugh at a dog taking a poo on the side of a pavement. That's what humour is all about :rolleyes:
3. Rewarding annoying, ignorant people for boring, flatline "jokes" is a stupid idea :rolleyes:

Please open your desk, put you head inside, and slam it shut.

I'm amazed people found this funny. If he was joking then sure, but he was blatantly being serious (serious as in, stupid people doing what they do best, being stupid on purpose). He was irritating and incredibly annoying, picking on a name which isn't even that funny. It's not funny as in "I went to a town called "*****", "Hello and welcome to *****", because that's not criticising a name. He criticised it by saying "Well, that's India for you" which is making an analysis of the name. It wasn't funny, because he was being serious. It's not full blown racism, but for those who like to sit on the edge of life, it could be to them. I don't even know why he brought it out. What is he, 12?

Also, Undertaker, race isn't just about skin colour ;) Technically he was border line racist, as he did mention something about "Well she is from India", which leaves what he said open to interpretation. Questions like:

What does he mean by that?
Is it positive or negative? - Technically negative, seeing as he was pointlessly ranting and blurping out some non-sensical rubbish about her name (attempting to be funny or not, though I think he was being serious judging by the way he was behaving).

Either way, the Government doesn't need to apologise, but he should do if the person (can't remember their name) was deeply offended by it. But what we can conclude is that he's not funny and pretty damn stupid :/

Wig44.
10-10-2010, 01:50 PM

I'm not 'creating such rage' as you put it, and I suggest you learn how to interpret a definition. Cute, you put me in your signature.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!