PDA

View Full Version : School education system

Richie
13-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Do you think the school education system is expecting too much from pupils and are giving out far too much work? or do you think its perfectly fine and that people should stop whining and just put their heads down to study?

Rozi
14-10-2010, 03:44 PM
tbh the amount I moan about work is just pathetic, it's hardly anything and when I get it it's not challenging at all. I think we should all just get down to it, because tbh as long as you do the work its not that hard to get the grades.

Suspective
14-10-2010, 03:56 PM
They are saying that exams are getting easier and all. What is the point in moaning anyway? Isn't the work supposed to be hard and challenging? If you put in the effort and put in the work, you are going to reap the rewards at the end of the subject/course. I could easily moan about quite a few things, but I'd rather just get on with the work and hopefully I will come out much better on results day.

AgnesIO
14-10-2010, 03:59 PM
They are saying that exams are getting easier and all. What is the point in moaning anyway? Isn't the work supposed to be hard and challenging? If you put in the effort and put in the work, you are going to reap the rewards at the end of the subject/course. I could easily moan about quite a few things, but I'd rather just get on with the work and hopefully I will come out much better on results day.

They always say exams are getting harder don't they? :P (In recent years)

Nemo
14-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Do you think the school education system is expecting too much from pupils and are giving out far too much work? or do you think its perfectly fine and that people should stop whining and just put their heads down to study?
I think its expecting too much from some people who aren't able to pass exams even with working hard. It's like university and college is everything these days and those who don't go are useless to the world and get a crap ass job. The work load is perfectly fine. If anything im getting less work than i was at GCSE now that im doing A levels.

The thing that gets me is what the work is about. 90% of all my work is pretty much just repeating like a parrot, and once the exam is over then you forget it all, how exactly does that help you in your life? For example in computing, the practical is actually practical. You learn the basics and are then given a task to use the coding language you know to make something, it makes you think and try and get stuff wrong, but by getting it wrong you can correct yourself and see where you did. It's brilliant. But then you have the theory which is literally repeating like a parrot, wheres the knowledge in that?

AgnesIO
14-10-2010, 04:02 PM
I think its expecting too much from some people who aren't able to pass exams even with working hard. It's like university and college is everything these days and those who don't go are useless to the world and get a crap ass job. The work load is perfectly fine. If anything im getting less work than i was at GCSE now that im doing A levels.

The thing that gets me is what the work is about. 90% of all my work is pretty much just repeating like a parrot, and once the exam is over then you forget it all, how exactly does that help you in your life? For example in computing, the practical is actually practical. You learn the basics and are then given a task to use the coding language you know to make something, it makes you think and try and get stuff wrong, but by getting it wrong you can correct yourself and see where you did. It's brilliant. But then you have the theory which is literally repeating like a parrot, wheres the knowledge in that?

At my school they expect too much of people who are pretty intelligent. I am in the 'top' sets for all my lessons, along with a fair few other people, and they just expect you to know everything. Whereas the 'less academically intelligent' people seem to play connect 4 all day?

Nemo
14-10-2010, 04:04 PM
At my school they expect too much of people who are pretty intelligent. I am in the 'top' sets for all my lessons, along with a fair few other people, and they just expect you to know everything. Whereas the 'less academically intelligent' people seem to play connect 4 all day?
I get some teachers being like that with me, byt yeh the less intelligent people do seem to get put with less work, which doesn't really help them. But i was talking generally in society they tend to put pressure on EVERYONE to go to college + university

Suspective
14-10-2010, 04:10 PM
aha

Is university over rated though? There isn't enough graduate-standard jobs to go around in quite a few industries. I was reading an article the other day, and surprisingly the typical graduate was working in McDonalds or in a cafe or bar in low-level positions and professions.

University isn't everything, if you are willing to work hard - it is possible to work yourself up through a company. Many companies have an under-qualified CEO in terms of university education.

Plus, you don't have lots of debt hanging over your head.

AgnesIO
14-10-2010, 04:21 PM
I get some teachers being like that with me, byt yeh the less intelligent people do seem to get put with less work, which doesn't really help them. But i was talking generally in society they tend to put pressure on EVERYONE to go to college + university

Yeah - I always find it strange that they go to college and stuff on some days to do hairdressing etc - surely they need more maths and English etc - not learning how to cut hair or lay bricks? :P Guess that's Essex for you haha

aha

Is university over rated though? There isn't enough graduate-standard jobs to go around in quite a few industries. I was reading an article the other day, and surprisingly the typical graduate was working in McDonalds or in a cafe or bar in low-level positions and professions.

University isn't everything, if you are willing to work hard - it is possible to work yourself up through a company. Many companies have an under-qualified CEO in terms of university education.

University is brilliant depending on what you wish to do. It is fact though, that a degree will give you better chances at getting certain jobs.

Conservative,
14-10-2010, 04:25 PM
aha

This is true.

My father left school at 18, but didn't go to Uni. Joined the navy to do his uni course but left after 2 years, so went looking for a job with no higher education qualifications other than A levels.
He's now at the top of his career, working his way up to a manager of a multi-million pound budget in a big management consultant firm.

But in my opinion, things are too easy. I'm in top sets for everything and I get bored because nothing challenges me. I got an A and 2 A*s in year 9 when I took all 3 sciences early, and predicted straight As. If anything, it's too easy imo, but that's my opinion lol.

AgnesIO
14-10-2010, 04:52 PM
This is true.

My father left school at 18, but didn't go to Uni. Joined the navy to do his uni course but left after 2 years, so went looking for a job with no higher education qualifications other than A levels.
He's now at the top of his career, working his way up to a manager of a multi-million pound budget in a big management consultant firm.

But in my opinion, things are too easy. I'm in top sets for everything and I get bored because nothing challenges me. I got an A and 2 A*s in year 9 when I took all 3 sciences early, and predicted straight As. If anything, it's too easy imo, but that's my opinion lol.

If you are telling the truth, you are one of the smartest people around (not exaggerating)..

Phil
14-10-2010, 11:34 PM
I think it's expecting far too much. i'm not sure about the GCSE's but the Leaving Cert is basically learning off all this stuff and never actually putting it into practical use and so much work is involved. It's the biggest exam we'll ever do into our lives and we are pressured by teachers and parents into non-stop studying. Not only that but we're doing these when we're 16-19 which I think is quite unfair to ask a teenager to dtermine th rest of thir lives now.

Special
14-10-2010, 11:35 PM
no at secondary school i remember it be being easy. new rules would could out syaing more gomework should be given - this would last about a week and teachers would be back to their lazy ways and give next to none out

dbgtz
15-10-2010, 02:53 PM
This is true.

Ok sorry but I do not believe this.
1 - unless you started gcses 1 year early like i did, you research everything you needed at home. Infact somehow you learnt all of the science you needed out of 2 years education into 1 year so you must have done alot at home by that logic.
2 - i doubt you got predicted grades and the ability to take it early in year 9
3 - the "manager of a multi-million pound budget in a big management" does not make sense therefore giving me more disbelief

anyway i think the school education system is flawed in the sense of if you can do it, you get a **** ton of work but if you absolutely suck, you get the same amount or less but never get ******* at. So much more is expected out of those who do well and i think itll eventually crush them, to a certain degree. I used to be expected so much of, and i still am by some, to be ultra successful and bla bla bla, eventually i just gave up because it was too much, and i was introduce to the ps3 xD

but someone i know has been taught at home for 2 hours a day (along with school) and is ok academically (he still kinda fails considering how long he has done it for), but his social skills are so dead. seriously he was bragging about how someone will pay his uni fees (as in a scholarship, which he hasnt got as it stands cos im year 11) and i asked him "how do you know someone will give you it?" he said: "because its me". he may be good academically but what really matters in an interview or something is your social approach, mostly anyway.

immense
15-10-2010, 02:54 PM
education system is corrupt!!!!!! revolution.

Conservative,
15-10-2010, 03:49 PM
For those who don't believe me, fine, but I think I'm the only one here who knows the truth, unless someone can read my mind?

And @Mr Selena Gomez...if you read on my dad is a "manager of a multi-million pound budget in a big management consultant firm" ;]

But the education system needs revamping. In my school, or my classes anyway, the clever(er) ones get bored and sit there while the teacher panders to the dumb ones. At GCSE we're only set for Maths, English, Science & I.T., so all my choices I'm stuck with people who are expected 4-5 grades below me, and I can do the work set in under half the lesson. My teachers often have to come up with something off the top of their heads because I get bored and lose focus if I have done all the work, and then I become "disruptive" lol.

Other than that, I think it's ok, although I personally think all these different exam boards like AQA, Edexcel, are unnecessary and there should only be 1 exam board.

So in that respect, that needs improving, and I'd like to see my school have sets for all subjects to at least the end of GCSE, because you can just choose any subject at GCSE, you don't need a certain grade. I suppose A level is different because you need certain GCSE grades to take it but yeah...

dbgtz
15-10-2010, 04:04 PM
For those who don't believe me, fine, but I think I'm the only one here who knows the truth, unless someone can read my mind?

And @Mr Selena Gomez...if you read on my dad is a "manager of a multi-million pound budget in a big management consultant firm" ;]

But the education system needs revamping. In my school, or my classes anyway, the clever(er) ones get bored and sit there while the teacher panders to the dumb ones. At GCSE we're only set for Maths, English, Science & I.T., so all my choices I'm stuck with people who are expected 4-5 grades below me, and I can do the work set in under half the lesson. My teachers often have to come up with something off the top of their heads because I get bored and lose focus if I have done all the work, and then I become "disruptive" lol.

Other than that, I think it's ok, although I personally think all these different exam boards like AQA, Edexcel, are unnecessary and there should only be 1 exam board.

So in that respect, that needs improving, and I'd like to see my school have sets for all subjects to at least the end of GCSE, because you can just choose any subject at GCSE, you don't need a certain grade. I suppose A level is different because you need certain GCSE grades to take it but yeah...

wait i think it was an error on my hand, do you mean he manages the money?

Conservative,
15-10-2010, 04:10 PM
wait i think it was an error on my hand, do you mean he manages the money?

No, he is in charge of something like £70million budget for travel.

Mathew
15-10-2010, 04:28 PM
In a simple reply to this, then no, I don't think the education system is expecting too much. We are a growing society and they constantly need to seperate the moderate kids from the bright ones.

There's no point dishing out GCSEs and A-Levels left, right and centre when the students don't deserve them. You need to work to get your money in real life, so you need to work to get your certificates now.

AgnesIO
15-10-2010, 04:28 PM

For someone who seems to have an IQ of more than 162, surely you know the correct grammar would be 'more clever' - instead of the 'cleverer' you used? ;)

Also getting predicted straight A's doesn't mean that much - I am predicted 13 A*/A's. But in all honesty I am not going to get it lol.

---

However, I personally feel for the more clever people in comprehensive schools it is not too bad, however I definitely think that the ******s less academically intelligent people should be pushed harder to get good grades in English and Maths. At my school if they don't do a language they play connect 4. Or they spend one day a week at College. If anything surely it is the smarter people who should be wasting time? :P

immense
15-10-2010, 04:31 PM
out of predicted grades at gcse

i got 7 higher than predicted
3 correct
and 2 below

they mean nothing

Conservative,
15-10-2010, 04:53 PM
For someone who seems to have an IQ of more than 162, surely you know the correct grammar would be 'more clever' - instead of the 'cleverer' you used? ;)

Also getting predicted straight A's doesn't mean that much - I am predicted 13 A*/A's. But in all honesty I am not going to get it lol.

---

However, I personally feel for the more clever people in comprehensive schools it is not too bad, however I definitely think that the ******s less academically intelligent people should be pushed harder to get good grades in English and Maths. At my school if they don't do a language they play connect 4. Or they spend one day a week at College. If anything surely it is the smarter people who should be wasting time? :P

Ha thanks for pointing out my mistake, even Einstein made mistakes so remember that ;]

And yeah i agree with you, but at my school no one gets pushed :/. The clever ones get bored, the dumb ones sit and play on computers or go to college and it doesn't make sense. There are 9 sets for Maths & English, and I'm in Set 1 for both, yet I find myself finishing the work within 20 minutes and having to ask for more, whilst some people sit there not getting it..in set 1. Then you got to set 9 and they're sitting watching videos...wth? lol.

dbgtz
15-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Ha thanks for pointing out my mistake, even Einstein made mistakes so remember that ;]

And yeah i agree with you, but at my school no one gets pushed :/. The clever ones get bored, the dumb ones sit and play on computers or go to college and it doesn't make sense. There are 9 sets for Maths & English, and I'm in Set 1 for both, yet I find myself finishing the work within 20 minutes and having to ask for more, whilst some people sit there not getting it..in set 1. Then you got to set 9 and they're sitting watching videos...wth? lol.

you ask for more work... why the **** do you do that?

anyway set 9 are ******s, their teacher has probs given up on them.

Conservative,
15-10-2010, 06:03 PM
you ask for more work... why the **** do you do that?

anyway set 9 are ******s, their teacher has probs given up on them.

Because I have nothing else to do. My friends & I were seperated in the first week for talking to much and well...I'd rather be doing something than nothing, unless it's poetry, in which case I go to sleep.

AgnesIO
15-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Because I have nothing else to do. My friends & I were seperated in the first week for talking to much and well...I'd rather be doing something than nothing, unless it's poetry, in which case I go to sleep.

Finally we agree on something haha

matt$
15-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Set 9? christ our school went to set 5 and i thought they were ******ed, imagine 9.. **** me.

Inseriousity.
15-10-2010, 10:50 PM
no at secondary school i remember it be being easy. new rules would could out syaing more gomework should be given - this would last about a week and teachers would be back to their lazy ways and give next to none out

haha I remember this, "homework timetables" were brought in where teachers had to give you a piece of homework on that day but a week later, that 'timetable' mysteriously vanished.

Anyway yeah, the education system is too politicial. A wide emphasis on targets and league tables means that students are often left at their target and that's that.. It happened a lot in my secondary school. Someone got a C but their teacher never pushed them further, never tried to get them higher, it was all 'right let's keep that up'. If you're predicted A*s and As then that's fine but it seems that the lower-intelligent aren't pushed further than their target as long as the school gets their 5 A*-C high percentage pass rate!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!