PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound weird to you?

Gnome
17-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Okay, i got a phonecall on tuesday about a job i applied for a while ago, It's based in Edinburgh so i'd appreciate if anyone from Edinburgh would reply to this telling me if they have heard of a company named ' Done And Dusted ' it's like a betterware company that sell general household goods.

anyway, i got a phonecall saying i'd applied for it, and they asked if i was still looking for work, and atm im on a trainingcourse getting 60 a week, so thats terrible and anything is better, so i said yeah ill take it. and he asked if i had any family commitments or anything and i told him no, he then said hed get back to me in the next couple of days, and he phone me on the friday asking if i was still up for it.

He then said that someone pullled out of the 4 week training period and i was eligible to fill his spot, so isaid yeah, he then told me the position was in Edinburgh, Living in a mansion type thing 8 miles out of the city on one of the main trainlines. But i'll be sharing the house with other people from the sales team. The house has a gym, TV room, pool room, swimming pool.

So after saying yeah i'dhappily do it, he then told me i'd be working for 4 weeks with professioonals getting to know the company, making 150 p/w then after the 4 weeks id be guaranteed a job making 300-500 p/w.

It's all came as a surprise and it's all happened so quickly, im getting picked up from Dundee train station tomorrow to go live in edinburgh.

does this sound dodgy to any of you? I might just be getting abit paranoid, but im not sure.

Thread moved by Apple (Forum Moderator): From "Discuss Anything"

Samantha
17-10-2010, 01:32 PM
I live in England myself, but if you applied for the job, and the same person has rung you up, surely it's not a hoax or anything? People do drop out, people do get replaced.

You can and have said yes, and so you may as well try it out. It may have seemed a bit sudden, but maybe the position needs to be filled quite rapidly so the training can get underway.

If you get me :).

Richie
17-10-2010, 02:23 PM
The only strange thing is I've never heard of company's offering accommodation that sounds a little weird lol

Robbie
17-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Is this it? http://done-dusted.co.uk/

matt$
17-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Invitation to get raped in a mansion, nice.

Samantha
17-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Maybe they are trying to buy your dedication if you get me. So you won't resign from the job or anything.

Gnome
17-10-2010, 02:30 PM
It's not cleaning no, we sell household products. I dunno.. it sounds childish but i've had my mum phone up the guy to doublecheck things. I guess it is happening though, gnna miss all my mates :(

matt$
17-10-2010, 02:31 PM
It's not cleaning no, we sell household products. I dunno.. it sounds childish but i've had my mum phone up the guy to doublecheck things. I guess it is happening though, gnna miss all my mates :(

Good luck with it.

Gnome
17-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Good luck with it.

think ill need it haha

Inseriousity.
17-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Wow, good luck! I'll be honest and say that they're probably bigging up the house. Maybe it does have all that stuff but shared with how many people? That's what I'd be wondering! I'd also be wondering what made the other guy drop out cos it might have been a really stupid reason like 'i miss my mommy' or it could have been an actual reason like the job is a load of crap.

Only one way to find out though and that's to give it a go. Even if it does turn out to be a crappy job, you can still walk away with the experience :)

Gnome
17-10-2010, 03:00 PM
aye, i've already got experince in sales from a previous coure i attended, hopefully i will add this to my CV and attempt to get a shop in a mobile phone shop, the other boy dropped out because of ' family commitments ' and im not too sure on how many people i share the house with tbh.. i never asked.. it should be a laugh none the less, my mum got off the phone with the boy there and said its geuine. i'd love to get the adress of the house first though..

AgnesIO
18-10-2010, 05:11 PM
aye, i've already got experince in sales from a previous coure i attended, hopefully i will add this to my CV and attempt to get a shop in a mobile phone shop, the other boy dropped out because of ' family commitments ' and im not too sure on how many people i share the house with tbh.. i never asked.. it should be a laugh none the less, my mum got off the phone with the boy there and said its geuine. i'd love to get the adress of the house first though..

You need the address lol Demand the address then google streetview ;)

hairpins
18-10-2010, 05:15 PM
eye wud take tht job neday hun thats amazin gud luck!!! it sownds lyke yew will have loadz of fun n make loads of moniz
maybe yew kan treat us all 2 sum hcs lol

Gnome
18-10-2010, 09:45 PM
eye wud take tht job neday hun thats amazin gud luck!!! it sownds lyke yew will have loadz of fun n make loads of moniz
maybe yew kan treat us all 2 sum hcs lol

i think i fell in love with you.

Anyway, i left the job. After being told on the phone it was sales in the company store i got picked up from the bus station in a broken down van and taken back near where i/my friends live and was given a rucksack and went around doing door to door sales of really stupid things. And would be working like.. 7 hours a day doing doors.

Needless to say i told them it wasn't what i was looking for nor what i was told i was doing on the phone.

The Don
18-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Goodluck, hopefully it's nothing like the film 'Hostel' :L:L.

Inseriousity.
19-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Jobs are never what they'd say on the phone! :(
lolol I could never be a door salesman. They have the signs with 'We do not buy anything' (a sign politely saying **** OFF) and I'd feel guilty about knocking. Don't think you're allowed a conscience if you're a door-to-door salesman. Good luck finding a new job :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!