PDA

View Full Version : Help! (music)

Richie
20-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Hey,
I'm actually so stressed, I don't know what to do. I have to play an instrument, in what? 6 months infront of an instructor and I know nothing. I have a guitar but I don't know how to play it :(

Pls help lol any suggestions? I was thinking of singing but I actually can't sing..

Phil
20-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Hey, Richie. I'm doing the same course as you I would imagine. Are you doing Higher or Ordinary?

Richie
20-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Hey, Richie. I'm doing the same course as you I would imagine. Are you doing Higher or Ordinary?

I want to do higher but I'm screwed

Phil
20-10-2010, 11:28 PM
I want to do higher but I'm screwed

Are you only screwed for the practical exam?

Richie
20-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Are you only screwed for the practical exam?

well.. lol I'm going to be doing loadsa studying from now on in, I reckon I'd be okay with the main exam. My main concern is my practical after all it is allot of %

Phil
20-10-2010, 11:46 PM
It's only a lot of percet if you choose it do be. Remember it's:

Practical - 25%
Composition - 25%
Listening - 25% (this will include the set works and the Irish music I believe)

The extra 25% YOU CHOOSE which of the above three it gets added too but yes most people do choose the practial. For this extra 25% you could also do the thing on the computer which is basically putting music from a stave on a page in front of you to a stave on the computer but most schools don't offer that. If not, you could do a Listening Elective which is a 40 minute exam in the Laving Cert where you choose a theme of your choice, put ten songs that match that theme onto a CD, bring it into the exam, play it and write about the songs. Pretty handy if you ask me.

If you decide to go ith the practical and do higher level you're going to need to perform eight pieces of two different instruments/voice (four of each) or six of the same instrument/voice. Most people go with the four and four but you only have to do four on one instrument if you decide to put the other 25% elsewhere. If you decide to do that you could do group singing but for that you need to find a dedicated group that will do it with you. I don't think they listen to much for the actually voice but the technique and quality of it.

Samantha
21-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Richie why not sing, sing 'I want to be Lost_witness just for de day'

But seriously. if you can't play an insrument take a safe bet.?

Alex3213
21-10-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm going to say this, people may disagree but hey ho.

Don't play the instrument. Sing. To have a reasonable grip of strings, breathing, hand grip or mouth piece, whatever instrument you're doing takes a good 3 months I believe (baring exceptional circumstances). It's not worth trying. You've got 6 months and the only thing you need to sing is a voice! You've got that. However, don't make yourself feel that it is a pushover! It won't be. You've gotta work hard to make your voice push to the full potential and I am sure you have that in you.

I'd take the singing option (if I were you, otherwise I'd have taken an instrument), but do not get lazy with it.

Phil
21-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Yeah if I were you I'd do the four songs group singing and the listening elective!

Richie
26-10-2010, 03:26 PM
i might just sing lol but its embarrassing because I really can't but its better than doing nothing eh?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!