View Full Version : Can someone explain the difference

dbgtz
14-11-2010, 08:46 PM
between:
Computing AS and A Level
Information and Communication Technology AS and A Level
Information and Computer Technology (Systems Support) BTEC National Diploma
Information Communications Technology Applied AS and A Level

I need it in simple terms so I know which to do. Also if you could list notable careers which are involved with it and courses in uni which are related (or possibly related). Thanks. +rep to anything helpful :P

Samantha
14-11-2010, 09:15 PM

is one A level.
so if you only want to take ict, then this isnt really the course to take.

Robbie
14-11-2010, 09:23 PM
between:
Computing AS and A Level
Information and Computer Technology (Systems Support) BTEC National Diploma
Information Communications Technology Applied AS and A Level

I need it in simple terms so I know which to do. Also if you could list notable careers which are involved with it and courses in uni which are related (or possibly related). Thanks. +rep to anything helpful :P

Different exam boards will have slightly different things but still:

Computing: http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2510-W-SG.PDF
ICT: http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2520-W-SG.PDF
BTECs: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/BTEC%20Nationals%20from%202010/BN021892-BTEC-Nationals-IT-L3-Spec.pdf

matt$
14-11-2010, 09:35 PM
I do some i.t practionior course thing and its ****, so stay away from tht :) hope this helped lol.

Conservative,
15-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Computing A & AS Level is programming computers - designing programmes, learning how they work, then if you carry onto A2 - you have to programme for a company as part of your coursework.

Information and Communication Technology AS and A Level - Going on from GCSE I.C.T. - learning how to use the computer further, doing complex things on several different programmes.

Information and Computer Technology (Systems Support) BTEC National Diploma - Is worth quite a lot of GCSEs, but isn't as hard as A levels. It's learning again, how to use a computer, rather than how to programme it.

Information Communications Technology Applied AS and A Level - Not sure about this, but I think it's like Applied science, you just do practicals (I think), rather than learning the theory behind it.

Jin
15-11-2010, 01:10 PM
I can only confirm that:
Computing - Learning types of programming languages and their use, databases, networks, hardware, types of software, basic binary, programming, system analysis, system design, system testing.

ICT - Using advance functions in common desktop office software bundles.

If you intend to do a computing based degree you will need computing as university's wont accept ICT.

dbgtz
16-11-2010, 09:34 PM
I can only confirm that:
Computing - Learning types of programming languages and their use, databases, networks, hardware, types of software, basic binary, programming, system analysis, system design, system testing.

If you intend to do a computing based degree you will need computing as university's wont accept ICT.

By computing degree, do you basically mean things involving some form of IT?

Anyway thanks all, got pretty much what I needed :P

Robbie
16-11-2010, 09:40 PM
I can only confirm that:

Not entirely true. I do ICT (stupidly may I add - I wasn't informed or aware that the college did A Level Computing until it was too late) and have received offers off universities for Computer Science. However, I really had to emphasise my knowleged and experience in these areas on my Personal Statement. So I'd reccomend Computing over ICT if you wan't to do something Computing (not IT) related. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!