PDA

View Full Version : AS Level English Literature - Analysis?

Mathew
18-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Hey,
Part of the coursework for AS Level English Literature is to do an in-depth analysis of two pages in the book Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

We're practicing by doing some mock essays right now - does anyone have any tips on how to do a successful in-depth analysis? What are they looking for?

Thanks,
Matt

Inseriousity.
19-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Can't speak specifically as I never did english at a level but I did do sociology and you have to analyse things in that too.

Basically, just evaluating strengths and weaknesses. I find the best way to analyse something is to look at the assumptions. Normally writers 'assume' things as fact as that's how they see the world. So this is a sociology example but functionalists assume that there's a consensus in society so analysing it you could say that actually, conflict theories like Marxism and feminism would argue that there is conflict in society. That's giving a weakness to that argument (and obviously you'd give examples to back up your analysis).

An analysis essay normally includes a lot of 'However's and 'On the other hand's. There'll be things in the book that you can analyse. Reading between the lines :)

Toasten
02-12-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm doing English Language & Literature combined but the in-depth analysis should be quite simular. However, you might need to include more techniques and demonstrate a more sophisticated understanding of the text. We have been told to include characterisation, narrative perspectives and the use of settings/scenery. These usually apply for most novels. You might also want to include extended points about multiple narration or unreliable narration that some novels have. In general some of these things are compulsory including the lexis, connotations and the use of grammar. I hope this brief explanation of what you might include is helpful.

Recursion
02-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Critical opinions and quotes from others will always bump you up a good amount of marks and a comparison to other relevent texts are good too. Got an A in my AS coursework for Eng Lit.

What exam board are you on btw?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!