PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting boxing

The Don
23-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Yeh, I'm thinking of starting boxing. Anyone here do it/done it? How is it, does it hurt get punched with the gloves on and how hard is the training? Thanks guys :)

PaulMacC
23-11-2010, 10:18 PM
I used to do a bit of boxing and circuits sometimes. To be honest, I've spared a few times, albeit I'm only featherweight. Punches dont really hurt at that weight though, the damage does build up after a while, sometimes you'll start shaking at the legs if you get too much body blows. I've been knocked out once, you dont really remember it but yeah it is painful a bit but you fight on none the less.

Conservative,
23-11-2010, 10:18 PM
You have to be extremely fit to be good. You have to be quick, light on your feet but strong. My bro tried it and for the first month thy made him just do skipping rope for an hour but he got quite fit lol. It requires a lot of intense training I you want to be good.

But if you just want to do it for fun then probably light training weekly will suffice. However I cannot say if it hurts as I've never tried :P

PaulMacC
23-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Most boxing instructors are still preach the blood and guts method of training. Dont listen to them you'll overwork yourself. Just enjoy training, work hard, eat well and rest well.

Minstrels
23-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Find yourself a boxing gym, don't go to one with all the flashing lights as they'll be gash. Find a grim one, they'll work you good.

Turnip
24-11-2010, 02:56 PM
sort yourself out with a punch bag, you can pick them fairly cheap, and a set of gloves..
train urself for a lil while, with just have a few lil rounds with the punch bag, do skipping etc, and get the fitness levels tiptop..

then find a boxing club, and train that bit harder, and make sure you just keep improving, and you'll be up there sparinng for your club before you know it :).

Soy
24-11-2010, 03:30 PM
i do boxercise and used to do mma mainly did thai boxing though with wrestling

training for mma was seriously intense, i imagine boxing would be of similar demand.

Apple
24-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Downsides to boxing are that the hits can take their toll on your face, or more seriously your brain. You shouldn't get too badly beat up though if you fight the right people who are of similar ability (speed/strength/skill etc). I'd definitely look into doing it, great fun.

kuzkasate
24-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Like you said, you read my thread.

But yeh, I did boxing for around 2 years, at first it was really quite hard, especially as I was a smoker and the pressure was quite big, but you get used to it. You just need to be good on your feet, constantly moving, make sure when you punch, your arm is completely straight and not bent and constantly look at your opponent, never look away because that can end quite bad. Keep your opponent at a distance, never let him get too close because he can start going for the body which can also end quite badly.

But yeah, it doesnt really hurt much, but I was unfortunate because when I first started I was like 12/13 they didnt let me spar after a month or so, I was allowed. But because I am very tall for my age (I was the size of a 15/16 year old) I was obviously put with the 15/16 year olds. The first guy I got, was a gigantic, fat guy which was quite stupid because I was quite skinny and underweight and he completely battered me lmao, but then I got better and kicked his ass after about 6 months. But then I was very unfortunate and one day, I didnt realise that the training session for the "kids" was cancelled and I ended up going to the adult one and I had to spar with a 21 year old lol, he obviously didnt hit me hard or anything, but it was quite fun.

You definately should give it a try, if you dont like it after around 6 months then quit, if you do, then stay! :)

StefanWolves
24-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Are you serious? 'does it hurt', of course it ******* hurts. You get punched in the face, cut, punched to the body etc, it's not going to be all rosey, you are going to get hurt.

The Don
24-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Like you said, you read my thread.

But yeh, I did boxing for around 2 years, at first it was really quite hard, especially as I was a smoker and the pressure was quite big, but you get used to it. You just need to be good on your feet, constantly moving, make sure when you punch, your arm is completely straight and not bent and constantly look at your opponent, never look away because that can end quite bad. Keep your opponent at a distance, never let him get too close because he can start going for the body which can also end quite badly.

But yeah, it doesnt really hurt much, but I was unfortunate because when I first started I was like 12/13 they didnt let me spar after a month or so, I was allowed. But because I am very tall for my age (I was the size of a 15/16 year old) I was obviously put with the 15/16 year olds. The first guy I got, was a gigantic, fat guy which was quite stupid because I was quite skinny and underweight and he completely battered me lmao, but then I got better and kicked his ass after about 6 months. But then I was very unfortunate and one day, I didnt realise that the training session for the "kids" was cancelled and I ended up going to the adult one and I had to spar with a 21 year old lol, he obviously didnt hit me hard or anything, but it was quite fun.

You definately should give it a try, if you dont like it after around 6 months then quit, if you do, then stay! :)

Thank you very much for that :) + Rep Did you quit in the end? and what was your wins/losses/tko
also any more things that happened in your career.

Are you serious? 'does it hurt', of course it ******* hurts. You get punched in the face, cut, punched to the body etc, it's not going to be all rosey, you are going to get hurt.

Well, i mean't mixed with adrenaline as I've been in fights before, been hit and it hasn't really hurt me.

Thanks everyone, + rep.

kuzkasate
24-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Thank you very much for that :) + Rep Did you quit in the end? and what was your wins/losses/tko
also any more things that happened in your career.

Well, i mean't mixed with adrenaline as I've been in fights before, been hit and it hasn't really hurt me.

Thanks everyone, + rep.

yeah i quit in the end. i just got really bored of it & my trainers changed as one of them quit. and tbh, i dont even know how many wins/loses i had. took me quite some time to get into the ABA tho, it was a right pain in the ass, photos, medical examination took bloody ages. i can tell you more if your interested, just drop me a pm :) - thanks for rep btw

Eoin247
24-11-2010, 10:16 PM
I never boxed myself but my brother did.

It seemed to be very good for him. He got to meet lots of good freinds, kept reasonably fit and strong, had a pastime he could be proud of and he loved it in general.

Also girls seemed to take it as a plus that he was a boxer. :)

Zak
25-11-2010, 12:32 AM
A friend of mine took up boxing a while back, he quit after a few months because he just wasn't fit enough. They had him basically just exercising for the whole session and wanted him to get up at like 5am every morning for a 3 mile jog.

He went back to weight training after that, it takes some serious dedication. I have used boxing gloves and depending on who you get it can really hurt.. We did kind of "royal rumble elimination" type thing me and a group of my mates did years back. A lot of them are quite hard too, so I ended up losing after a few fights, I lost to my friend Nick, who was 13stone at the time, I was about 10 1/2 back then. He was taller too, boy did it hurt :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!