PDA

View Full Version : Still addicted to wrestling

Zak
03-12-2010, 03:40 AM
I feel somewhat ashamed now that I still like watching wrestling at such the grand age of 19, I started watching when I watched a PPV in 1997 (In Your House 14). I followed the then WWF and WCW until WCW's closure in 2001, and followed WWF/E until 2004. Which I don't think is bad at all, but I still watch TNA wrestling and I really enjoy it.

I would say I have well over 100 videos/dvds just from wrestling alone collected over the years, none of which I am even thinking of getting rid of anytime soon.

It's come to the point where I'm embrassed to go into shops like Cex (pre-owned DVD, Game store) and even browse through that section trying to find a PPV that I don't have yet. I hide my wrestling collection from most girls too, I haven't even told my current girlfriend that I love it because I'm too ashamed.

Taking this to a forum where not many people judge, it's nice to get it off my chest.

I just wanted to know your views on this? Do you think it's bad? Can you see why I'm kinda ashamed of it? What would you do in my situation?

Arron
03-12-2010, 08:35 AM
I know how you feel about being embarrassed, kinda. I had a house party a few months back and I had a few Wrestling Figures standing up on my bedroom windowsill and I kinda got skitted for that, haha! But at the end of the day it's entertainment, it's something you enjoy watching and probably will enjoy more of in the future. I personally wouldn't mind getting into a Wrestling School, I love it that much!

I watch WWE week in week out. I love the show, (maybe not as much as I did in previous years) and I tune in to watch it every week. I join fan pages on facebook such as WWEUniverse and no one has commented/laughed at me for it :)

Zak
03-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I know what you mean I've kinda hidden everything wrestling related from view. I have loads of wrestling figures too :P I don't really get to watch TNA week in, week out simply because I don't have Sky :( Thanks for the reply though, very nice to see im not the only one. +rep :)

Nemo
03-12-2010, 03:00 PM
I wouldnt bother hiding the videos, its something you enjoy and i dont think wrestling is often considered something loserish to watch, just people usually look down on it coz its generally fake.

Saying that, i've hid my anime love from pretty much everyone. My family know i like it and some close friends but other than that i apparently have no affiliation to it, so i share your pain :P

-Heart
03-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Seriously, who cares?

I've just started watching wrestling again and I'm 15. It's a form of entertainment which many people enjoy. Look how many middle aged men you see at the live shows - alot. You shouldn't be ashamed or embarrassed, alot of people like things that alot of others don't. It's just how it is. I love wrestling and I have since I was a kid. I'm not as crazy about it as I was when I was younger, but I still watch it - because I enjoy it.

Don't take any notice of what other people think is my advice.

Neversoft
03-12-2010, 03:16 PM
I've never really understood why anyone would hide a passion or keep something they love to themselves. If people tease you about it and can't accept it as one of your hobbies then it isn't even worth getting to know those people in the first place. Like NaughtyNemo, I am a fan of anime and while it is very different from wrestling both have a similar reputation, but I have my anime DVDs alongside my normal DVDs and have a bookshelf full of manga and such and I can honestly say I have never gotten any stick about it whatsoever. Perhaps I just have very understanding friends and am a very understanding person myself, but if I went around to a persons house and saw that they had 100 wrestling DVDs I wouldn't even bat an eyelid. Why should I? That is their hobby, that is what they're in to and that is fair enough. Do not feel ashamed, we are all different people and each have our own interests and the world would be a better place if everyone were to accept that.

Now my post looks totally ugly because it has been put in bold, thanks a lot Neev!

Misawa
03-12-2010, 03:33 PM
I've been a wrestling fan since I was four - that's 16 years. I see no reason why I should hide the fact that I like wrestling? :S Everyone who knows me knows that. It's entertainment and there is a huge female audience. Millions upon millions of people watch it around the world, collectively a countless amount more than X Factor - the talking point of television in the UK. Some people probably look down on wrestling fans like they don't know that it's scripted - a fight in Coronation Street is scripted - but they're just ignorant, and there are way too many ignorant people in the world to worth worrying about. I just tell them to go watch The Wrestler.

Oleh
05-12-2010, 02:00 AM
I've known it's scripted for a long time and its made me enjoy it more to know that every decision made in the ring is known by the other westler.

Most things are fake e.g. about 90% of the moves don't hurt or cause small discomfort.

But how is it possible to fake falling of a 15 foot cage onto the floor or a table (yes you say the floor has padding, but you fall off the top of the climbing frame in the gym at school and tell me that doesnt hurt)

Ric flair backhanders, how can you fake that?

But yeah on topic, my friends like wrestling (we're 16) people do comment on it being fake, but seriously, i don't go to them when they complain that a good singer gets kicked off xfactor and say its a fix do i?

Conservative,
05-12-2010, 02:11 AM
Don't hide it. I dont like wrestling but I enjoy chess (which is regarded as a lot nerdier) and my friends respect it. If there real friends they won't judge.

Misawa
05-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Actually, just about everything in pro wrestling hurts. The canvas is surprisingly unforgiving. I was bodyslammed by TNA's Doug Williams (we go back) years ago and it wasn't pleasant.

Arron
05-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Actually, just about everything in pro wrestling hurts. The canvas is surprisingly unforgiving. I was bodyslammed by TNA's Doug Williams (we go back) years ago and it wasn't pleasant.

In a squared circle?

Misawa
05-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Yeah..

Arron
05-12-2010, 08:09 PM
cool. i want a go!

CJW93
09-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Wrestling looks to be back on the rise, people in my college my age 17-18 have started to watch it and are taking a liking to it, strange I know but at least I'm not on my own now :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!