PDA

View Full Version : Chelsea Squad

Arcade$
06-12-2010, 03:18 AM
I don't think this has really been emphasised enough in the footballing world, but Chelsea appear to have an extremely old squad. You have the likes of Nicholas Anelka, Didier Drogba, Florent Malouda, Frank Lampard, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Paulo Ferreira - all first team players that are either thirty or above. Yes, they have achieved things and well done to them, but I just don't see the same ethics in the club in terms of brining up young talent or at least giving young talent a chance that the likes of Manchester United and Arsenal posses.

Take a look at Manchester United, chances are given to the likes of Darron Gibson, Fedrico Macheda, Chicharito, Chris Smalling, Rafael, Fabio, Obertan and Anderson. As for Arsenal, the name Jack Wilshire pretty much sums the whole club up, they are like a factory with young players, all credit to them.

I wondered what you thought on this.

StefanWolves
06-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Yeah but they have a **** load of money that they can invest when those players move on.

Arcade$
06-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah I agree, but I still think they should be more supportive of their youngsters.

Conservative,
06-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Chelsea are just money bags. Watch when I become a billionaire and buy Liverpool (Y) lol but seriously, I agree, they need some youth..sure their team is good but they can't always but their new players...what if he players don't want to come to Chelsea? Then what...? They're stuck with an awful academy and a bunch of semi-retired players...

Liverpool have the likes of Jay Spearing, Pacheco & Rodriguez coming through but I would like to see more players step up for the "not so important" games...

FlyingJesus
06-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Gonna buy Lukaku with any luck lol, but god knows when that'll be

There are a lotttt of old men at Chelsea true, but I think people just don't see the youngsters there because they don't get played as much as Man U's youth. That said, the likes of Sturridge, possibly Kakuta (lol), McEachran, Bruma and van Aanholt at the back at some point are up-and-coming through the squad, the last 3 of those having only recently come up from the academy. There's also some guy who plays on loan at Wolves at the moment I think or did last I heard but can't remember his name

StefanWolves
06-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Chelsea have invested in the youth system too you know. Look at Josh McEchran, he's around the same level as Jack Wilshere but doesn't get the publicity.

Matthew
06-12-2010, 08:41 PM
I have high hopes for McEachran, he looks a decent player already. He has been playing a bit recently, got his first start a few games back and has made a lot of appearances from the bench.

Sturridge is a good player too imo.

@ FJ its Michael Mancienne who is on loan at wolves atm.

I'm sure that the youngsters will be given a chance soon enough, but to be fair ancelotti has given the chelsea youths more of a chance that any chelsea manager certainly in my time.

StefanWolves
06-12-2010, 09:48 PM
We want Mancienne permenatly if we stay up.

Suspective
06-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Chelsea do have a good academy.

Anyway, if you look at Chelsea. The fans of the club are a lot happy with the ownership, and the way the money is managed compared to clubs such as Liverpool and Man Utd ;)

Must mean something.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!