PDA

View Full Version : Inform/Explain/Describe

dbgtz
09-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Basically I just done paper 2 of my english mock, and I got to this section and had no clue what to do. I went for describe and I don't know if I done it right, which is what I'm asking now.
If you done the same paper, you'll recognised the question:
Describe a day of your childhood. (or something like that)

Basically I told it from a story of me going there to school ending, but made sure I like got the right tense and that. Is that basically all I had to do? What sort of things did I need in there. I got colons, semi colons, brackets, exclamation marks, some varied sentances (some were quite ****e and no real structure) along with a bunch of figurative devices(?). Is that basically all I had to do?

Toasten
10-12-2010, 08:37 PM
It sounds simular to the exam I took last year. What I did was use straight forward language to convey and get to the point quickly (covering essential information). I also made sure that I went back to look at what the question asked for (experiences and how they were for me emotionally). By this I mean being happy, sad, depressed or to go back to a time when this happened and how i felt about it. Thinking about why you are writing and who you are writing to is important as well.

Basically I feel that the examiner wants to see your knowledge and understanding of English through your writing.
- So you need to obviously include personal experiences or observations.
- Be clear and write logically making sure you use a good range of words to show off your knowledge.
- Use the features of the English Language correctly, which you have done.

I don't know if this is helpful to you or not but this was for the exam we had to do, which i achieved an A in.

T@R
10-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I was always told that examiners like a bit of variation, so my teacher always told me to take on a role when writing a past account, for example you could pretend you were a 1939 child on your way to school when the bombs starting falling, just as an example.
Describe is the one most people go for because it's the easiest one to pick up marks for, if you used the punctuation you said you did correctly, then you should've done well, but just make sure you're writing in a nice fluid style so it doesn't look forced, and try and use a wide range of vocabulary when describing.

dbgtz
10-12-2010, 10:16 PM
It sounds simular to the exam I took last year. What I did was use straight forward language to convey and get to the point quickly (covering essential information). I also made sure that I went back to look at what the question asked for (experiences and how they were for me emotionally). By this I mean being happy, sad, depressed or to go back to a time when this happened and how i felt about it. Thinking about why you are writing and who you are writing to is important as well.

Basically I feel that the examiner wants to see your knowledge and understanding of English through your writing.
- So you need to obviously include personal experiences or observations.
- Be clear and write logically making sure you use a good range of words to show off your knowledge.
- Use the features of the English Language correctly, which you have done.

I don't know if this is helpful to you or not but this was for the exam we had to do, which i achieved an A in.

Did you use any form of senses apart from the visual aspect, like smell?

Toasten
10-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Did you use any form of senses apart from the visual aspect, like smell?

I feel that you could use any of the senses when talking about an example such as 'Describe a day of your childhood'. This is due to the fact that no matter what your experience is about the marks you will get is dependant on the quality and structure of your written piece.

Chippiewill
11-12-2010, 03:10 AM
The most important part of this essay is to identify the audience and make it clear to the examiner that you have identified the audience through your use of language. Most of the time the audience will be your age group. You can show that you have identified the audience through the length of sentences, the words you use, by making jokes, by being serious/chummy etc.
On this essay content is not important and can be made up as long as it is relevant to the question set.

Mark Scheme for Band 1/2:

• A successful attempt to write in the specified writing triplet.
• A thoroughly consistent use of the specified genre.
• Content shows a complete understanding of the task and is skilfully adapted and crafted with detail conveying a fully confident and sustained tone and register.
• Vocabulary is precise and allows the clear expression of sophisticated/complex ideas.
• A clearly defined and fully focused opening is followed by a coherent and lucid development leading to a planned and effective ending.
• Paragraphs are skilfully constructed and purposefully varied in length and structure to control responses.
• Within and between paragraphs a range of varied linking devices reinforces cohesion.
• The writer is clearly in control of the material and fully aware of the audience.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!