PDA

View Full Version : Flashing your lights to let others know...

myke
05-01-2011, 07:51 PM
HI
so I think this is best here because it's not really breaking news so it's good to go here & can be quite a good discussion, saw it on the car forum I use...

A driver prosecuted for flashing his headlights to warn motorists of a mobile police speed gun has defended his actions as his "civic duty".

Michael Thompson, 64, was pulled over by officers in Grimsby in July after warning several oncoming cars.

He was fined £175 and ordered to pay £250 costs after being found guilty of wilfully obstructing a police officer in the course of her duties.

Thompson said: "I flashed motorists to warn them of a hazard."

Thompson, of Augustine Avenue, Grimsby, was also ordered to pay a £15 victim surcharge at the hearing at Grimsby Magistrates' Court.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-12115179

Do you do it? Should you do it?

I think it's pretty stupid that he got such a heavy fine for it because he's not really doing any damage... but then again people shouldn't be speeding :o ...

Discuss! :)

Mathew
05-01-2011, 07:53 PM
This just makes the government seem money hungry really (oh what a surprise :P). The poor chap was arguably helping the police out; he still got the other motorists to slow down for goodness sake!

Hecktix
05-01-2011, 07:57 PM
I do it :) I agree that it's a civic duty, it's no good people getting fined for speeding. Speed cameras and police in areas like that are a waste of time and they are just literally there to make some money.

Stick average speed cameras on dangerous roads and your problem is solved. S

-:Undertaker:-
05-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Well it only confirms to us what some of us knew for a long time, that speed cameras have nothing to do with making the roads safer. There's even an appeal fund for these type of cases; http://www.ukip.org/content/latest-news/2068-godfrey-donates-to-drivers-appeal - it is time for motorists and the general public in general to stop being pushed around like this. It is not just the erosion of civil liberties, its being ripped off at the same time.

I once spotted (it must have been 25 policemen and women) all standing around a police van with the camera in the back, not to mention when we have police pulling innocent people over on the roads for no apparent reason (other than wanting to catch them and fine them on something petty).

Inseriousity.
05-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Driven by targets or money? Possibly both, easy target are always the generally law-abiding motorists etc than the actual criminals.

My dad saw this and said 'I do that all the time.' I think it's just the norm.

Moh
05-01-2011, 08:17 PM
All the speed cameras etc.. are all in places where it's safe to speed, but all those places where it isn't safe to speed, there aren't any speed cameras.

There's a regular police van with a gun at a 40 speed limit.. a few metres before a 70 limit. So if you put your foot down before the limit then they fine you. Happened to my mums boyfriend, it's stupid. Same with a place that has recently changed speed limit from 40 to 30.

They place them in places just to get money, which to me isn't protecting people, it's stealing.

Oleh
05-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Thats just being greedy now.. nearly £400 for warning people of a useless bit of scenery...

The money gone into these mobile traffic nuisances could go into say... putting money into car manufacturers to add electronic limiters which in turn when the government add electronic transmitters to an area, it will decrease speed to said mileage... SIMPLE ENOUGH!

Technologic
05-01-2011, 09:50 PM
You should only flash your lights to warn other of your presence thus the man was wrong to flash his lights and the full force of the law should be brought against him.

Alkaz
05-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Things like this really annoy me. 9 times out of 10 it's dangerous driving that causes accidents and not speed. The police officers time would've been best spent patrolling the motorway instead of sitting behind bushes and trees to make a few pound.

GommeInc
05-01-2011, 10:50 PM
There isn't a law against it, and he's doing exactly what a speed camera, sign or officer does and that is slow cars down or alert them that there is or that they are a hazard. He was being helpful, if someone is flashing you, you tend to become more alert of your surroundings. IF there was a law that you should only alert others of your presence, then that law would mean:

1) You won't be able to alert to a hazard such as an accident
2) Thank someone - it's NOT alerting someone to your presence, but a gesture of thanks (see Highway Code)

Hazard lights do as much as flashing lights, and they're usually there to signal the person behind, not the person infront.

Such a pointless waste of time and money on the officer, the individual and the courts.

Martin
05-01-2011, 11:12 PM
I do it when I remember :D I think it's nice to let others know and as others have said it's actually helping the situation rather than causing any harm. To be honest though the main reason I do it is from seeing many other people doing it and it becoming just part of the norm in my view.

benjamin
05-01-2011, 11:33 PM
that's ridiculous. i do it all the time, and i see others do it all the time. it's normal.

i guess that sort of thing wouldn't happen in oxford - especially not now seeing as all of our speed cameras are turned off, and we have no mobile ones on. hahah.

danzooo
06-01-2011, 08:16 AM
To be honest, what's the difference between him flashing his lights to warn other motorists of the speed camera, and the speed camera flashing when it catches you speeding? Ridiculous prosecution.

tdi
06-01-2011, 06:29 PM
I knew it was illegal before this, so I'd do it if I felt that there wasn't anyone around to stop me. I'd like people to warn me, therefore I return the favour. :)

Nationalism
08-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Just the state making excuses to rob and steal from the people to line their pockets.
I say that time and time again. ;)

.x.miss.angel.x
08-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Well, i suppose we have all learnt somthing. Wait until you turn the corner to flash your lights :D

-:Undertaker:-
08-01-2011, 08:48 PM
You should only flash your lights to warn other of your presence thus the man was wrong to flash his lights and the full force of the law should be brought against him.

Yes, how dare somebody break the 'law' and flash the lights of their own car.

Liberty anyone?

Samantha
08-01-2011, 09:44 PM
I don't do it as I don't drive. However, my Dad flashes people when there is an accident or speed cops.

Camy
09-01-2011, 10:02 PM
wow lol.

this is so stupid, punishing someone for stopping people from falling into a trap. people need to chill the **** out, and stop being so money hungry.

flatface
09-01-2011, 10:09 PM

lol I hope you're not serious, people flash their lights all the time as a gesture of thanks etc

Shockwave.2CC
09-01-2011, 10:12 PM
tbh i've never gone passed one but if I did I would even if I have got a motorbike :)

Metric1
10-01-2011, 02:43 AM
i have something similar installed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5DNGzsBcgo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRtA8zbmQ5w&feature=related

ChickenFaces
10-01-2011, 03:09 AM
Warning people of that is probably better than a cop just sitting there as the cop can only go after one car that's speeding while the person warning them about the cop makes everyone slow down.

Starburst..x
10-01-2011, 12:15 PM
I agree with others that his punishment was strong and purely money grabbing, not only that I think the reason he recieved harsh treatment was because they were making an example of him to others, in the same way as every now and again someone gets fined millions for downloading music on places like limewire and stuff.

At the end of the day to be fair you should'nt be going at a speed thats warrants you to be flashed by cameras or the police, everyone can drive fast and we can all put our foot down so it doesn't prove your a good driver just because you can bang along at 50mph down a 30mph road.
You may think your a safe driver but doesn't mean everyone around you is...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!