PDA

View Full Version : Andy Gray sacked.

PaulMacC
25-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Gray has been sacked over sexist remarks made on a female linesman along with other released sexist behavior. Thoughts?

Alkaz
25-01-2011, 05:29 PM
In what ever context it was said it this is really pathetic. It's fine for women to have ''women only'' things such as car insurance all over the tv (which isn't sexist at all 8-)) but you're not allowed to say a stereotypical joke which wasn't even broadcast.

FlyingJesus
25-01-2011, 05:32 PM
I think it's a crap excuse to be fired but I can't stand him so I agree with the ruling haha

Describe
25-01-2011, 05:42 PM
I can't stand him either so I'm with FlyingJesus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cS8OkAiXCI&feature=player_embedded#t=0s
That was a little bit far and she obviously didn't find it funny. You can't do things like that these days, especially when you're so susceptible to being caught.

FlyingJesus
25-01-2011, 05:47 PM
To be fair I honestly do not know any women who know the offside rule

Jessicrawrr
25-01-2011, 05:56 PM
sexist *****, can't stand the men who did it anyway, can't stand men who are sexist.

cocaine
25-01-2011, 06:04 PM
right.. because as alkaz said car insurance specifically for women (and esp. their lower costs) isn't sexist? its understandable she was annoyed, especially when she found out that the other linesman had the same outfits as her

-:Undertaker:-
25-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Another case of people being offended over nothing, its just banter. I mean personally i'd like to see more of it on Live television and if you dont like it then you can turn the channel over - it really is that simple people!

FlyingJesus
25-01-2011, 06:08 PM
can't stand men who are sexist.

What about women who are sexist? I find your comment extremely sexist

Mathew
25-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Funnily enough, we're talking about political correctness and sexism in English so this topic was brought up today :P

Another case of people being offended over nothing, its just banter. I mean personally i'd like to see more of it on Live television and if you dont like it then you can turn the channel over - it really is that simple people!
Exactly right, it's absolutely pathetic. We live in a world where everyone is waiting for someone to step out of line, say the wrong thing or make a mistake.. and then naturally, everyone pounces on the subject and makes a big fuss over nothing. Even by looking at this thread, I'm surprised by the amount of people who actually give two ***** about the remark...

I haven't read anything about it, but my English teacher was saying the woman didn't even care. Poor Andy Gray I say.. that's his £2 million a year pay cheque down the drain!

Jessicrawrr
25-01-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm commenting on what the commentators have said, how is that being sexist?

AgnesIO
25-01-2011, 06:39 PM
To be fair I honestly do not know any women who know the offside rule

Shame. I know hundreds - one of which is my sister, and probably a better footballer than anyone on this forum.

sexist *****, can't stand the men who did it anyway, can't stand men who are sexist.

Could I point out, virtually every girl I know hates boys bein sexist. But if you beat them at a race, or whatever it's 'BUT I AM A GIRL, SO IT ISN'T FAIR'. I mean why be so ******* hypocritical?

FlyingJesus
25-01-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm commenting on what the commentators have said, how is that being sexist?

Because you limited it to men, obv

Also I'm great at football 4real

AgnesIO
25-01-2011, 06:53 PM

Is that sarcasm?

Oleh
25-01-2011, 06:57 PM
It seems that in todays society being a white male isn't exactly unrestricted is it? Only we can be racist and only we can be sexist.. i can gurantee if she had said something sexist it would have been shrugged off like a few crumbs.

Jessicrawrr
25-01-2011, 07:03 PM

because this thread is about men who were sexist towards women, tbh i'd be the same about a woman comentator commenting on a man.

Starburst..x
25-01-2011, 07:14 PM
I think fair enough to him being sacked.
Just think of the reaction if he'd of said anything about other ethnicities, sexualities or anyone with disabilities could you imagine the absolute uproar?! So how is making a stereotypical sexist (it was no matter how you look at it) comment any different?
If people can't stand hearing racist, discriminatory comments then why should just the fact that "Ahh he was just being a man its banter" excuse him from a sexist one?
Andy Gray was foul anyway so no big loss.

25-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Just think of the reaction if he'd of said anything about other ethnicities, sexualities or anyone with disabilities could you imagine the absolute uproar?! So how is making a stereotypical sexist (it was no matter how you look at it) comment any different?
If people can't stand hearing racist, discriminatory comments then why should just the fact that "Ahh he was just being a man its banter" excuse him from a sexist one?

Difference between races though are next to none, differences between the sexes though are a gaping gulf.

'Sexism' is nowhere near the level racism is on.

Cheryl
25-01-2011, 07:20 PM

apart from it's about 50/50 for men:women. Where as a racial group is usually the minority.
It was said off air, Sky should have had no real reason for sacking him.
There are still many sexist jokes in the workplace no matter how much people in this thread had it.

25-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Will Sky now be removing any sex channels from their TV service?

Deak
25-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Andy Gray was the main man on Sky Sports football, but he should have kept his comments to himself... I'm sure that they will be able to find somebody who is qualified enough to be a pundit

The Don
25-01-2011, 07:43 PM

Go make me a sandwhich.

I joke of course :L

But I don't really watch football so am not that bothered, but if it was off air, what's the problem?

Jessicrawrr
25-01-2011, 08:15 PM
It's been leaked, and if people have been offended by it then obviously action would be taken?

Cheryl
25-01-2011, 09:08 PM
It's been leaked, and if people have been offended by it then obviously action would be taken?

I don't think any action should have been taken as it was off-air.

StefanWolves
25-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Do any of us lads get offended when women say 'you can't cook?', it was a Tongue in cheek comment, this world is going MAD.

Catzsy
26-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Do any of us lads get offended when women say 'you can't cook?', it was a Tongue in cheek comment, this world is going MAD.

Well If you said it to me i.e. about the offside rule you would be perfectly correct because I know nothing of it.

The referee they were making remarks about I assume had had all the training that any referee has and there was really no need to make remarks like this in the professional game. To commentate on shows like this you need to be professional, non-judgmental and start living in the 21st Century rather than the middle of the 20th. There didn't seem anything 'tongue in cheek' about it - it was plain old fashioned sexism and they are old enough to know better.

AgnesIO
26-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Well If you said it to me i.e. about the offside rule you would be perfectly correct because I know nothing of it.

The referee they were making remarks about I assume had had all the training that any referee has and there was really no need to make remarks like this in the professional game. To commentate on shows like this you need to be professional, non-judgmental and start living in the 21st Century rather than the middle of the 20th. There didn't seem anything 'tongue in cheek' about it - it was plain old fashioned sexism and they are old enough to know better.

They were off air though.

Catzsy
26-01-2011, 10:10 PM
They were off air though.

Doesn't matter - in a professional world there should not be indemic sexism. They work for a huge corporation who I am sure has conditions of employment which would include no racism, no homophobia, no sexism etc. It is just not acceptable in the workplace anymore. It also seems that he was sacked because other incidents came to light as well as this one.

AgnesIO
26-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Doesn't matter - in a professional world there should not be indemic sexism. They work for a huge corporation who I am sure has conditions of employment which would include no racism, no homophobia, no sexism etc. It is just not acceptable in the workplace anymore. It also seems that he was sacked because other incidents came to light as well as this one.

All were off air, all were sexist.

I go back to the cooking thing. Would a female be sacked if she told a man that men cannot cook? probably not.

Matthew
26-01-2011, 10:12 PM

Yeah. Off-air or not, he shouldn't make comments like that.
It probably was just a bit of banter really, and I do think that some people are taking this way too seriously, but what he said just isn't acceptable anymore. He's a professional; his comments certainly weren't professional.

Its just unfortunate for him that his comments were leaked.

AgnesIO
26-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Yeah. Off-air or not, he shouldn't make comments like that.
It probably was just a bit of banter really, and I do think that some people are taking this way too seriously, but what he said just isn't acceptable anymore. He's a professional; his comments certainly weren't professional.

I agree they were not professional, and I totally understand that in an environment like that you have to say things you do not actually think, just so people are not offended.

'It is great to see female linesman entering the games..' rather than 'haa female linesman, blatantly doesn't know the offside rule'.

But I believe it was taken wayy out of proportion.

Catzsy
26-01-2011, 10:19 PM
All were off air, all were sexist.

I go back to the cooking thing. Would a female be sacked if she told a man that men cannot cook? probably not.

It doesn't matter if they were off air as I said - they shouldn't make sexist remarks about people who are professionally qualified. If it was a male professional chef on TV and a female presenter made the sexist remarks I would expect her to get the same treatment. It works both ways and as I understand it Andy Grey had done it on more than one occasion. If he was being paid 1.7 million then I would have thought he would have the brains to comply with the companies policies.

AgnesIO
26-01-2011, 10:21 PM
It doesn't matter if they were off air as I said - they shouldn't make sexist remarks about people who are professionally qualified. If it was a male professional chef on TV and a female presenter made the sexist remarks I would expect her to get the same treatment. It works both ways and as I understand it Andy Grey had done it on more than one occasion. If he was being paid 1.7 million then I would have thought he would have the brains to comply with the companies policies.

Chill. He is a human. You know, just like you or me.

We all say things we probably shouldn't at times.

And guess what? At least it was OFF AIR.

Catzsy
26-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Chill. He is a human. You know, just like you or me.

We all say things we probably shouldn't at times.

And guess what? At least it was OFF AIR.

I am chilled. Doesn't excuse him one bit. How do you think the female referee felt? She is in a male dominated world in the first place and has worked hard to get where she is. He ought to grow up. he has himself to blame as far as I am concerned.

AgnesIO
26-01-2011, 10:27 PM
I am chilled. Doesn't excuse him one bit. How do you think the female referee felt? She is in a male dominated world in the first place and has worked hard to get where she is. He ought to grow up.

You are taking this wayy out of proportion.

I support the female referee 200%, and hope she continues to do really well. However, I think being fired for something which can easily come out when not thinking, is too far.

mynameiswootzeh
26-01-2011, 10:34 PM
It's a HUGE overreaction. and FYI she wasn't a referee, she was a linesmanwoman

Oleh
26-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Now many of you are saying that if this was a woman doing this to a man you would expect her to get the same treatment, but that simply isn't how the 21st century works, women are still classed as inferior so the law is treating them higher to counter this.

EDIT: Removed information which potentially could get me badrepped

-Heart
27-01-2011, 07:45 AM
I'm bracing myself for a **** Sky Sports.

PaulMacC
27-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Lads will always be lads stop trying to police us.

StefanWolves
27-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Before I say anything, if those comments were mad then the program 'Loose Women' should stop broadcasting ASAP, have you ever watched a more sexist program?

The world has gone ******* mad. We can't say ANYTHING without being told it's bad. If ALL pre-broadcasts were published on YouTube from any program such as This Morning, NOT EVEN SPORTS, everyone would be sacked.

This has gotten way out of hand because of our 'politically correct' country.

Ask most women on the street, they wouldn't have been offended by the off-side joke cause most women haven't got a clue. So why that warranted a Warning is beyond me, IT WAS OBVIOUSLY A JOKE/TONGUE IN CHEEK COMMENT AS SHE GOT THE CALL CORRECT. I was at the game and I admit I thought it was off-side, presumably most of the crowd were men and chants started such as 'YOURE NOT FIT TO REFEREE', are all these fans going to be banned from games because they are sexist? No.

I agree the one where Andry Gray is saying basically 'PUT YOUR HANDS DOWN MY TROUSERS' was wrong as the female presenter looked disturbed.

This Richard Keys example where he referred to a women as an it (I don't believe he did it intentionally) was only really worthy of a warning.

Catzsy
27-01-2011, 10:02 AM

I believe they are called Assistant referees these days but I know what you mean.

@ Stephan

I agree the one where Andry Gray is saying basically 'PUT YOUR HANDS DOWN MY TROUSERS' was wrong as the female presenter looked disturbed.
I think it was this together with the other remark and probably others (which we don't know about) that caused his downfall. If not I am sure he is wealthy enough to go down the unfair dismissal route.

As far as 'loose women' is concerned it is an interesting anology. I don't watch it but if they are making sexist comments to or about specific guests (behind their backs) I would agree with you. There is a line where it crosses over from banter to revealing 'the true nature of the beast' so to speak.

Narnat,
27-01-2011, 01:43 PM
I think it was really wrong for them to say that however that goes on everywhere and nothing gets done so I don't see why he should have been fired. I would have said it would of been fair enough for him to be suspended but firing is a bit harsh because he did apologise and you have to make mistakes to learn from them.

Arron
27-01-2011, 03:48 PM
I used to enjoy watching Super Sunday and MNF with Andy and Richard. Without them, it won't feel the same?

T@R
27-01-2011, 05:47 PM
I think a lot of what he said was a joke, but the thing he said about the linesman was a bit beyond the line.
WHO IS GONNA DO FIFA COMMENTARY NOW!?!?

AgnesIO
27-01-2011, 09:52 PM

FYI she was an Assistant Referee, who is a qualified referee. So yes, she is a referee.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!