PDA

View Full Version : Check your car is locked!

myke
03-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Hi Guys,

I read AutoExpress regularly and in last weeks issue there was an article on car security. Recently criminals have been using 'garage fobs' to block the signal from your key from going to your car because they're on the same frequency, hence stopping it from locking. Most people just walk away and don't check that their car is locked, and with the weather being bad, even more people are trying to get away from the rain and into the warm so don't check, just assume.

Just to warn you all to check your doors before you go, because you may not realise that your car hasn't locked.

Another tip - don't leave Bluetooth on on your laptop if it's in your boot - criminals use their mobiles to search for Bluetooth devices and can help criminals to identify target vehicles.

Just a heads up to you all, I'm lucky, my alarm beeps twice when the doors are locked and the alarm's on. :)

cocaine
03-02-2011, 03:34 PM
my car doesnt have remote locking so im fine :P i usually check its locked anyway even after i physically turn the key haha

myke
03-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Didn't know you had a car :o what you got? nd oic it doesn't effect you then :P

RandomManJay
03-02-2011, 04:01 PM
I haven't got remote locking, thankfully, but I'm sort of OCD with my locks and check every door when I lock it :P.

cocaine
03-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Didn't know you had a car :o what you got? nd oic it doesn't effect you then :P

http://images.autoexposure.co.uk/SHD2787174/AETV98305812_1.jpg

myke
03-02-2011, 04:11 PM
http://images.autoexposure.co.uk/SHD2787174/AETV98305812_1.jpg

That's your car? For a '08 I'd expect remote locking :o

cocaine
03-02-2011, 04:15 PM
its an '07 car and nahh haha. its only a small car.

danzooo
03-02-2011, 04:43 PM
i have to press the lock button on mine twice to activate the alarm and i can physically hear it locking too, as well as the indicators flashing loads

Camy
07-02-2011, 04:09 PM
kind of defeats the purpose of remote locking if you go to check the doors really, but i get what you're saying. although yeah, most cars you can hear them lock, and the lights will flash.

Jake
07-02-2011, 04:14 PM
exactly the same as me i have to check all 4 doors and the boot (y)

I haven't got remote locking, thankfully, but I'm sort of OCD with my locks and check every door when I lock it :P.

Metric1
07-02-2011, 08:11 PM
My car beeps when I lock it, plus it has an alarm. I think I'm good :)

Zuth
07-02-2011, 08:40 PM
i have to press the lock button on mine twice to activate the alarm and i can physically hear it locking too, as well as the indicators flashing loads

Same, first click lock, second click alarm.

Meanies
07-02-2011, 08:49 PM
i just make sure i hear mine locking and then walk off, or if its night listen for the sound and indicators flashing

myke
07-02-2011, 08:52 PM
i just make sure i hear mine locking and then walk off, or if its night listen for the sound and indicators flashing

Best to listen for the sound rather than the indicators, the indicators will flash on ours even if it isn't locked ;)

lTraditional
07-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Yeh, also don't leave your satnav in the car while you are not in the car as that does attract theives aswell. Problem is, if it at home then they can enter your home and steal the keys (happened twice to my dads two cars).

I don't have a car anyway so it doesn't effect me plus when I take my laptop in my dads car, I lose internet connection anyway.

danzooo
08-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Yeh, also don't leave your satnav in the car while you are not in the car as that does attract theives aswell. Problem is, if it at home then they can enter your home and steal the keys (happened twice to my dads two cars).

I don't have a car anyway so it doesn't effect me plus when I take my laptop in my dads car, I lose internet connection anyway.

To be honest it's pretty commonplace among car owners to hide valuables - when i park somewhere that isn't at school or in my driveway I put my ipod that lives permenantly in the car into the door bin out of sight. Plus don't leave car keys near the front door, crooks get long sticks with a hook on the end and use that to grab the keys through the letterbox.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!