PDA

View Full Version : Devolution of the United Kingdom

Suspective
23-02-2011, 09:12 AM
What are your views on the United Kingdom being devolved and individual countries being responsible for their own e.g. The [Welsh] Assembly would be responsible for their own country etc.

I'm split over it, and do think that overall the Parliament in London should be responsible for things like defense, foreign relations and immigration, economy and currency etc. But I think that Wales should also be given powers similar to Northern Ireland and Scotland in terms of health, education, justice etc.

Surely, the future of the United Kingdom will be a devolved group of countries.

AgnesIO
23-02-2011, 11:55 AM
As long as England (well the power in London) continues to have power over immigration and defense I don't care. Wouldn't want illegal immigrants finding each access to the country by walking through Scotland :rolleyes:

GommeInc
23-02-2011, 04:44 PM
As long as England (well the power in London) continues to have power over immigration and defense I don't care. Wouldn't want illegal immigrants finding each access to the country by walking through Scotland :rolleyes:
Bad enough having the Scottish, Welsh and Norther Irelanders sneaking in. It makes my blood boil :P

If they did focus on becoming independent, I can see them still relying on the English for a few things, although collectively they could make Great Britain a council of ideas than to completely get rid of the UK, to share things like common law, trade etc.

Conservative,
23-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I hate the fact that the Welsh, Irish & scottish have their own parliaments when the English do not. So if England became independent and got their own Parliament I'd be happy.

I think that in general it would be better - everyone can have things how they want it more locally, rather than on a larger scale (eg; your country rather than the whole of GB).

I think if all countries did become independent that there'd still need to be a sort of council for trade, economic discussion etc. a bit like the EU (although not a bunch of un-elected bureaucrats doing what they want).

But I'm for it. It's ridiculous that England is governed by scottish politicians yet Scotland is not governed by English politicians. Either ALL have their own parliament, or none. Simple.

Catzsy
23-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Bad enough having the Scottish, Welsh and Norther Irelanders sneaking in. It makes my blood boil :P

If they did focus on becoming independent, I can see them still relying on the English for a few things, although collectively they could make Great Britain a council of ideas than to completely get rid of the UK, to share things like common law, trade etc.

Sneaking in where? They are members of the United Kingdom and pay their taxes like anybody else that goes into the exchequer. They are still governed by the UK parliament although they do have devolved powers and quite honestly the number of MP's from all these nations combined would not be enough to have any real power in Parliament unless there were a minority government that needed them. Nobody is anywhere near independence.

Jordy
23-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Personally I would favour the opposite of devolution, I would happily close the devolved assemblies and parliaments and control the whole UK from Westminster. However I would devolve further powers to Council, government should be as local as possible and not just top-down from London. By giving Councils more power it would make them more accountable and relevant. The current system does not work that's for sure, the English aren't having a say, Scotland is more devolved than Wales, for instance Scotland have different laws, better healthcare and education yet don't pay anymore taxes than we do. The whole devolution atm is a catastrophe in my eyes (Almost as bigger issue as the EU). It sickens me to see the Scottish getting more powers and money yet we pay the same taxes as they do.

We need to either reverse devolution OR complete devolution by becoming four separate nations (Who would no doubt co-operate on issues like defence and trade), we cannot continue in this current mess, it is totally unfair. No party dares to speak about devolution though, they'll lose too many votes and there's little to be gained on the issue.

-:Undertaker:-
23-02-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm a staunch supporter of the Union - but I simply take the view of which Enoch Powell stated; that if Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are to have there own parliaments then they may aswell become independent. The choice must be made, no parliaments [except Westminister] or break up the Union.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!