PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Cole 'accidentally' shoots student

Grig
27-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Well here he goes again, this time accidentally shooting a student at their training. People are starting to have less and less respect for footballers in general. Why does he even need a gun at the training ground :S.

From: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/27/ashley-cole-chelsea-air-rifle

England defender Ashley Cole accidentally shot and wounded a 21-year-old student on work experience at his club's Cobham training ground, it was revealed last night.

The Chelsea left-back was reported to have been "larking about" with a .22 calibre air rifle when he fired at student Tom Cowan from just five feet away.

Sources at Chelsea Football Club told the News of the World how Cowan was treated by medics at the ground and allowed to rest following the incident. But two days later the wound was still weeping and he was tended to again by medical staff.

"It's truly inconceivable that a Premier League footballer could bring a gun to the training ground," a source said. "But Ashley pulled the rifle from a box and started larking about with it in the changing room."

Former Arsenal star Cole, 30, arrived at Chelsea's Cobham training ground in Surrey holding the weapon, complete with a muzzle and nightscope, last week. The incident was witnessed by a dozen members of staff, but Cole claimed he was unaware that the rifle was loaded. Cowan, a Loughborough University sports science student, was at the team's training ground as part of a year's work placement with Chelsea.

On Wednesday, he was called into a three-hour meeting with "deeply worried" Chelsea officials to discuss the accident, and a day later his father, Ronald, a 51-year-old quantity surveyor, held a second meeting at the club where he demanded to know what action would be taken against Cole.

A .22 air rifle is the most powerful type of weapon that can be legally owned in Britain without a licence. Under British law the incident could be deemed actual bodily harm which carries a maximum penalty of five years' imprisonment and an unlimited fine.

Cole, who earns £110,000 a week, is reported to have been given a severe dressing down, and has formally apologised to Cowan.

It is not the first time that Chelsea's Surrey training facility has been at the centre of controversy. In December 2009, the club's captain, John Terry, was caught asking for a £10,000 cash payment to secure behind-the-scenes tours for various individuals without the permission of manager.

Terry later claimed that the proceeds of the tours had been given to charity.

Jessicrawrr
27-02-2011, 01:47 PM
idiot, has the person pressed charges, i would :P

Cwmbran
27-02-2011, 02:02 PM
I hope Cole gets banned tbh, hes a horrible person.
They dont make footballers like Giggs, Scholes or Nevilles anymore.

AgnesIO
27-02-2011, 02:03 PM
He could have killed the bloke.

Surely Chelsea should be done for perverting the course of justice - since they didn't want the police or anyone to know.

Cole should be banged up too.

But lets be honest, he will probably be asked to not do it again.

---------- Post added 27-02-2011 at 02:04 PM ----------

Don't forget Beckham.

Notice the thing in common though. I hate the bloke, but Ferguson does a fantastic job in turning his players in to gentleman.

Cwmbran
27-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Don't forget Beckham.

Notice the thing in common though. I hate the bloke, but Ferguson does a fantastic job in turning his players in to gentleman.
Beckham slipped my mind completly :P
It amazes me why coaches let this sort of behaviour slide. I'm sure if it happened with a United player Fergie would leave him out the squad for a couple of games at least. I'm willing to bet if Cole isn't band he will be playing the next game.

Matthew
27-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Beckham slipped my mind completly :P
It amazes me why coaches let this sort of behaviour slide. I'm sure if it happened with a United player Fergie would leave him out the squad for a couple of games at least. I'm willing to bet if Cole isn't band he will be playing the next game.

The next game is man u, so he will be playing unless he is banned :P

AgnesIO
27-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Surely he should end up in jail, not be banned?

Conservative,
27-02-2011, 02:43 PM
He should be permanently banned from football and locked up :l

Sloopy
27-02-2011, 02:53 PM
To be honest i think Cheryl Cole done the right thing and dumped or broke up with him otherwise she would of known what was coming like this situation for example, although this has nothing to do with this subject but then again i'm just saying, However how can you 'accidentally' shoot a student obviously he could see it coming and it's not like you can let go of the gun and just simply accidentally hit a student with one shot. This is one of the most bizarrest stories that i have ever read.

T@R
27-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Gary Neville? Really?
I doubt he'll get banned because it's a non footballing incident, however if the lad presses charges he could always end up behind bars.

AgnesIO
27-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Gary Neville? Really?
I doubt he'll get banned because it's a non footballing incident, however if the lad presses charges he could always end up behind bars.

And Chelsea should be done for perverting the course or justice.

Matthew
27-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Chelsea have revealed they are taking "appropriate action" following reports that Ashley Cole accidentally shot a work placement student at the club's training ground.
The News of the World claims Cole did not know a .22 air rifle was loaded when he fired it at 21-year-old Tom Cowan.
It was reported that the sports sciences student, who is on a one-year work placement at Chelsea, was hit in the side by a lead pellet at the training ground in Cobham.
Chelsea's medical staff reportedly treated the bleeding wound and Cowan did not require hospital treatment.
A club statement read: "We have fully investigated the incident and we are taking appropriate action. We will not be commenting further as it is an internal matter."

Longer.

Conservative,
27-02-2011, 08:01 PM
And Chelsea should be done for perverting the course or justice.

Agreed.

Cole in jail and Chelsea fined or I'll be very unhappy with the justice system.

Deak
27-02-2011, 11:19 PM
I can see what Chelsea are doing trying to keep it internally but surely it should still be investigated by the police and he should still be investigated, why do i think this...?

1. why has he got a gun there in the first place?
2. He still shot somebody
3. If this was just a normal person then there would be an investigation going on straight away

Cwmbran
28-02-2011, 06:03 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6785999,00.html
Well he hasn't been banned and looks like nothing is going to happen.

Judas
28-02-2011, 06:10 PM
"If a player steps over the line, we will take a decision. Nobody can say here it is out of control."

so take action then... he SHOT a guy? they can't let him get away with it. why the hell did he feel the need to take a gun training with him anyway?

AgnesIO
28-02-2011, 08:00 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6785999,00.html
Well he hasn't been banned and looks like nothing is going to happen.

Tell you what Mr Ancelotti. Cole doesn't go to jail, and you don't ban him.

How about he gives three weeks wages to the guy he shot?

Thug.

Banana Pancakes
28-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Executed him tbh. He's just a blot on English society.

ifuseekamy
01-03-2011, 01:07 PM
What an idiot, if a politician "accidentally" shot someone in the houses of parliament or a banker "accidentally" shot a colleague they'd face heavy punishment. What kind of person brings a gun into work let alone someone who, god knows why, is a role model for young kids?

Cwmbran
01-03-2011, 02:36 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6786939,00.html
Reading through the comments there even Chelsea fans want him to be banned or worse.

Stephen!
01-03-2011, 06:41 PM
I would have thought they bring the rifle to shoot the pigeons that ruin the turf.

Oleh
06-03-2011, 11:44 AM
I reckon some of the lads wanted to see it/have a mess about with it, and the unfortunate positioning of this kid and the mistake of not checking if its loaded happened. You're all overreacting tbh.. imprisonment for an accident?

Conservative,
06-03-2011, 11:47 AM
I reckon some of the lads wanted to see it/have a mess about with it, and the unfortunate positioning of this kid and the mistake of not checking if its loaded happened. You're all overreacting tbh.. imprisonment for an accident?

Anyone else would have that. *Walks into the office with a gun. Shoots work experience kid [by accident].* Same thing, only difference is Ashley Cole is a spoilt, overpaid footballer and won't be locked up because Chelsea will bribe the police.

AgnesIO
06-03-2011, 12:44 PM

So if I accidently shoot you, am I allowed to walk free?

I mean it was an accident :rolleyes:

efq
06-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Am I the one more surprised that people just have guns like that D:?

Moh
06-03-2011, 01:57 PM
I would have thought they bring the rifle to shoot the pigeons that ruin the turf.
So shooting wont ruin the turf?

i was thinking the same thing. How on earth did he even get a licence for a gun?!

Nemo
06-03-2011, 02:25 PM

So shooting wont ruin the turf?

i was thinking the same thing. How on earth did he even get a licence for a gun?!

A .22 air rifle is the most powerful type of weapon that can be legally owned in Britain without a licence.
Cmon guys atleast read the article

efq
06-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Cmon guys atleast read the article
No I read it and I understand you don't need a license, but mainly to use for hunting or something you don't take it to football training with you, do you.

AgnesIO
06-03-2011, 03:35 PM
No I read it and I understand you don't need a license, but mainly to use for hunting or something you don't take it to football training with you, do you.

Clearly you didn't understand the article then..

'You do not need a license.'
Notice the full stop.

Nemo
06-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Well you didnt understand it since it just says, as milestone said, "you do not need a license". Thats that. Take it whereever you want, in this case a football ground.

Cwmbran
06-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Sounds to me like your saying its the kids fault for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Fact is Cole shot it he must have been looking at where it would go so he would have seen the kid and could have shot it somewhere else. Anywhere else that person would have faced serious punishment. Even at another football club the manager probably would have punished the player by leaving him out for a couple of games if there was no ban or anything.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!