PDA

View Full Version : How to learn two years of A Level Maths in one year?

Alexx..
08-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Is it possible?
How can I do it?
Any help is appreciated.

Nemo
08-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Very much possible, but if its on your own it will be incredibly difficult.

C1 is stupidly easy and can be done very quickly. C2 is pretty similar and only has a couple difficult things. Yet to do C3 and C4, but it cant take too much. But then you'll have to do 2 of either M1/M2/D1/S1 or whatever else there is. So the actual knowledge is possible, just squeezing ALL of that into one year will be very hard. But if its the only thing you're doing its very much possible

LoveToStack
08-04-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm doing it in a year as we speak, did C1, C2, C3 and S1 in January and got As in them all. It took about a month to learn C1 and C2 which as NaughtyNemo said, are ridiculously easy then the rest of the time I spent doing C3 which was more testing than C1 and C2 but not hard by any stretch: it's mainly just rules for differentiation and if you've covered logarithms and exponents before now then it's fine.

I chose statistics so I did S1 rather than M1 or D1. If you've got a background in statistics then you'll find it really easy (I think there's some stats in English GSCE maths? Correct me if I'm wrong) but a lot of people in my class, myself included, hadn't done anything since boxplots like 3 years ago so it was quite difficult to get into the right mindset. That can also be an advantage you though because it's a fresh start: you don't have to rely on any previous knowledge of maths beyond basic arithmetic (until you get onto S2 but even then the most you'll use from pure maths is integration). Stats is also really interesting, and although I really enjoy pure as well statistics is great once you get the hang of it, it's amazing how applicable it is.

To sum up, I honestly can't imagine how anyone couldn't do it in a year. There doesn't even seem like there's enough material to stretch over two years. Go for it.

Alexx..
08-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Do you do it in a class or do you teach yourself it/get a tutor?

Thanks for the replies guys :D

LoveToStack
08-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Taught in a classroom. Although I can say from experience it's possbile to cram the entire S1 syllabus into 3 days (though I wouldn't reccommend it lol).

Nemo
08-04-2011, 08:38 PM
I hear S1 is insanely boring though if you do decide to do that, i'd personally choose D1 and M1 as D1 is ridiculously easy in every aspect (just a bit to remember), and M1 is the same in every paper just with different numbers. ez pz.

luce
09-04-2011, 07:12 PM
yeah I don't do maths but the further maths group at my sixth form do it in one year and then do the further maths course in one year in year 13. They do have two maths lessons a day though so that's 10 hours contact time a week ontop of, supposedly, 2 hours homework a night so it takes some doing but it really depends on your ability and the ability of the teacher!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!