PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on the Grand National?

Mathew
09-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Well I'm quite torn. I used to think it was okay but after today's rather eventful happenings (with two horses dying) I'm starting to dislike it.

Rowdy betters cheering on jockey's who whip their horses to make them run faster... all while two horses die in the process.
Not a fan, personally.

Thread moved by Infectious (Forum Moderator): from "Discuss Anything", as it is better suited here.

orientalframe?
09-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I use to really enjoy it, being a tradition to bet etcetc. After two horses dying it has turned me off a bit, becoming a bit more violent nowadays? :S

-:Undertaker:-
09-04-2011, 06:50 PM
If the Grand National and horse racing in general was ended/banned, then all the horses involved (which i'd estimate would go into the thousands across the country) would all have to be put down. Animals in the wild are eaten alive by one another along with suffering from horrid diseases for months on end with nobody to end their suffering - compare to the Grand National and horse racing overall which keeps the animals healthy and if anything does happen (such as the horse falling) then they are instantly put out of their pain.

luce
09-04-2011, 07:29 PM
If the Grand National and horse racing in general was ended/banned, then all the horses involved (which i'd estimate would go into the thousands across the country) would all have to be put down. Animals in the wild are eaten alive by one another along with suffering from horrid diseases for months on end with nobody to end their suffering - compare to the Grand National and horse racing overall which keeps the animals healthy and if anything does happen (such as the horse falling) then they are instantly put out of their pain.

Yes however if the horses die in the wild that is nature however when humans get involved in making them do something which is not natural and they die, for me, it makes it wrong. Yes it's a tradition but women being second class citizens was also a tradition and that does not make it right. I've never been able to watch it because I just think it's cruel however it's not just the horses who would be put down it's a whole industry. My uncle is a book maker (well he decided the odds i don't really know how or whatever) but he would be out of a job alone with thousands of others also it attracts alot of spending which was all disappear so it will never get cancelled for economic if not ethical reasons.

brandon
10-04-2011, 02:00 AM
I'm not strongly against this kind of thing but I feel as if 40 horses is too much for a race..when you have that many horses and steep jumps like that of course there are gonna be fatalities.

Spuds
10-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Surely this should belong in the debate section? You're essentially debating the pros and cons of the Grand National, not discussing the Grand National as a sporting event.

Jessicrawrr
10-04-2011, 07:47 AM
I hate horse racing, but for the reasons that have been stated, it is needed in a way, for economic reasons, and to help maintain the horses that take part.

sophiethenerd
18-04-2011, 11:05 AM
I think it is wrong.
Basically they flog animals to make them run and then make them jump over really high fences.
However it keeps the economy going but hopefully people will start betting on other things like football and poker and the horses could be given to people who can look after them.

myke
18-04-2011, 11:10 AM
We frown upon it because the horses are shot if they severely hurt themselves, so I'm not a fan, it's unnecessary really.

orientalframe?
18-04-2011, 11:13 AM
There's too many horses in the race, as said 40 is far too many, it's a reason why so many horses are getting severely injured. Not too keen on the actual sport but it is a tradition.

Cheryl
18-04-2011, 11:21 AM
I think it should continue, it is a tradition among the people of England. However, I think possibly the number of horses should be reduced, or split into heats.

-Heart
18-04-2011, 12:22 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/j0zj1e.jpg

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!