PDA

View Full Version : Personal Statement

Mathew
05-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi,
I have to write my personal statement in the next few weeks and I'm a bit stuck on how to structure it. I'm sure I'll be fine once I get started, but not really sure how to begin... I want a unique, punchy line to open with, as opposed to the rather generic "Since a young age.." or "I'm currently studying at..."

Any help from anyone who has written theirs in the past? :D
Matt

Lost_Addict
05-05-2011, 01:33 PM
I think some of the universities that accepted me, accepted me based on my personal statement because my grades didn't match up to what they needed.

What i hated doing was boasting, but thats what my tutor said to do. You really have to put your self out there and sell yourself. Say how amazing you are at everything and all your intresting lifetime expiriences. For instance include if youve done any missionary work or work expirience.

Regarding the start i began my with: Why did i want to win? Because i didn't want to loose. I used this due to it being relevant to my subject (it's a quote from a buisness dude hehe) But what it did do was set the scene for the rest of the statement, it was bold and sharp and it would catch the attention of the reader. So i would recommend starting with a bold quote to do with whatever subject your taking.

Hope this helps :)

Recursion
05-05-2011, 04:48 PM
I can't help you with structuring, that just sort of came naturally when I started to write mine and my teachers moved bits around (get criticism from as many people as possible!) but what I would say is, don't try to be funny or use puns or anything, keep it short, concise and to the point, boast about yourself. Write about what you like doing, why the Uni should take you, what you would get from the Uni, what experience (work and others) do you have that makes you unique and what experience do you have that is relevent to the course and things like that. Remember, you have 3000 (is it? I can't remember) characters and what you'll find it as soon as you get to the end you'll probably have to cut like 2,000 characters out!

Remember this could reduce the grades you need massively, get you an unconditional offer or even be called out on in an interview, so be truthful, realistic etc etc :P

Hecktix
05-05-2011, 05:00 PM
I received some really helpful advice when doing my personal statement which was "they want to see a nicely written piece about why you should be doing their course".

As I wanted to study psychology I started my personal statement with something along the lines of "From Piaget's theory of how children acquire knowledge to Loftus' extensive research into eyewitness testimony, it's clear that psychology has a huge influence over life as we know it" then I went on to explain why psychology interests me and linked in any interests I have with psychology and people, I also linked all my other AS/A Level subjects to psychology and how they would boost my understanding and made me more suitable for their course.

Recursion
05-05-2011, 05:02 PM
I received some really helpful advice when doing my personal statement which was "they want to see a nicely written piece about why you should be doing their course".

As I wanted to study psychology I started my personal statement with something along the lines of "From Piaget's theory of how children acquire knowledge to Loftus' extensive research into eyewitness testimony, it's clear that psychology has a huge influence over life as we know it" then I went on to explain why psychology interests me and linked in any interests I have with psychology and people, I also linked all my other AS/A Level subjects to psychology and how they would boost my understanding and made me more suitable for their course.

I actually agree with Oil here for once!

Mathew
05-05-2011, 05:19 PM
From Piaget's theory of how children acquire knowledge to Loftus' extensive research into eyewitness testimony
Wooo I've done about Piaget in English Language and Loftus in Psychology :D

So you've all quoted something so far.. interesting :P I might have to try and dig something out that I can stem from then. Thanks for the help so far guys, +rep :)!

Hecktix
05-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Wooo I've done about Piaget in English Language and Loftus in Psychology :D

So you've all quoted something so far.. interesting :P I might have to try and dig something out that I can stem from then. Thanks for the help so far guys, +rep :)!

If you haven't covered Piaget in Psychology you most probably will, he's one of the most influential figures in developmental psychology. I did English language at AS level and there was a nice few sentences in my personal statement about how English Language AS had taught me about language development - which is very much a psychological concept.

What is it you want to do at Uni?

Mathew
05-05-2011, 05:28 PM
If you haven't covered Piaget in Psychology you most probably will, he's one of the most influential figures in developmental psychology. I did English language at AS level and there was a nice few sentences in my personal statement about how English Language AS had taught me about language development - which is very much a psychological concept.

What is it you want to do at Uni?
Yeah, I found there were a lot of links between AS; English Language, Psychology and Sociology - attachment and feral children for two things off the top of my head. I'm sure I can link those together somehow :P

I'm not 100% sure yet, but I'm thinking something English related. I will most likely be dropping Literature next year which will leave me with English Language, Psychology and Sociology which are the three that I'm best at. I considered something Psychology related but I've always enjoyed English so I don't really want to deviate from what I have known the longest :P I've also got some work experience set up in the coming weeks at two local newspapers, so that will hopefully look nice in a Personal Statement aimed at English.

Recursion
05-05-2011, 05:40 PM
You're in a better position than I was this time last year :P I was applying for Computer Science on Theology, English Lit and Geography LOL.

Charlottay!
05-05-2011, 10:21 PM
there are some good websites that have examples on. pure potential is one that has a huge bank of personal statements that are all clean and verified since its a big scheme. as long as u dont copy the can give u an idea.

Mine was for accounting and so i brought in alot of things from maths and why i wanted to use maths to do different things. brought in certain topics from certain modules like decision maths.

You should have time to speak to someone at ur college though if you get stuck :)

ifuseekamy
07-05-2011, 04:46 AM
You go on about how passionate you are about your chosen course and relate everything to it, that's what they're looking for.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!