PDA

View Full Version : Slang words

chantellehugs
05-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Alright so I'm editing an English AS Essay due in tomorrow and my teacher told me today that I have the tone of the essay right (we're supposed to be writing as the voice of another character) only I have a phrase in it 'Afternoon love' which she says doesn't stick to the tone because it's something people in England say.

TO SUM UP: What's the american version of 'Afternoon love'? I still want to keep the afternoon I just need the word after to sound american. I was going to put 'Afternoon sweetheart' but that also seems too British.
I appreciate any help greatly! :(

Accipiter
05-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Afternoon Ma'am

what era is this american from LMAO

Gibs960
05-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Afternoon Ma'am I'd say, I've seen a tonne of American movies when they say that :)

Accipiter
05-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Tends to be the old 50's to 80's movies though where they have hats to tilt while saying it

Or a highway cop.

I can imagine them saying "Good Day" or something, why do you need to stick with afternoon o_O

Gibs960
05-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Tends to be the old 50's to 80's movies though where they have hats to tilt while saying it

Or a highway cop.

I can imagine them saying "Good Day" or something, why do you need to stick with afternoon o_O

Mainly soldier moves xD lol

VelvetClover
08-05-2011, 06:56 PM
If you mean "afternoon, love" as a term of endearment, how about "afternoon, honey" or "hi honey" something like that?

chantellehugs
08-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Afternoon Ma'am I'd say, I've seen a tonne of American movies when they say that :)

Afternoon Ma'am

what era is this american from LMAO

Or a highway cop.

If you mean "afternoon, love" as a term of endearment, how about "afternoon, honey" or "hi honey" something like that?

Thanks for your help guys, the era by the way was during the time when the play 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof' by Tennessee Williams was written. I'm going to end up redoing this coursework next year because I took my A-level early but I will remember these responses for the next time I'm writing as the voice of one of the characters. :)

Metric1
09-05-2011, 03:07 AM
OVER HERE IT WOULD BE "SUP BABE"

if you want me to Americanize your essay, I'm your guy.

09-05-2011, 03:50 AM
Yeah I'm with Metric, being American, nobody would say "Afternoon ma'am." "Sup babe" works better or something along those lines.

GirlNextDoor15
09-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Or maybe you want to say 'What's up' or 'hey girl' lol

ROT
10-05-2011, 05:29 PM
******* make me a sandwhich u worthless *****

Accipiter
10-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Yeah I'm with Metric, being American, nobody would say "Afternoon ma'am." "Sup babe" works better or something along those lines.

It's being wrote in the era of 1958

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!