PDA

View Full Version : First Driver Insurance.

PaulMacC
22-05-2011, 11:35 PM
How much would it cost on a 2003 Clio with 1.1 engine. Would it be possible under £3000? for a first time driver.

danzooo
22-05-2011, 11:44 PM
From here: http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=665461

- Your insurance premiums are calculated on a number of factors such as your age, the area you live in, your gender, the place your park your car overnight and much more. As well as the make, model, age, engine size, replacement cost, level of desirability etc of your car.

Basically, it's impossible for us to tell, and you're gonna have to find out yourself. There's a number of things you can do though to try and bring it down however.

kasi
23-05-2011, 12:03 AM
just go in and ask for a quote .. lol it depends on so many things, and its different at every insurance places

tdi
24-05-2011, 12:52 AM
get a quote on a comparison site for a rough idea, but when it comes to buying the insurance i'd deal with the insurance company directly.

PaulMacC
24-05-2011, 02:40 AM
Do you think it is possible though? Got lots of people telling me that I should be able to get first driver under 3k where as some say I'm dreaming and should probably expect like 5k :/

Triz
24-05-2011, 06:13 AM
As stated above it depends on many factors, I'd be surprised if it was over 5k a year. You'll probably be looking at 3k assuming your 17.
Is what I recommend is that you get yourself a quote on www.insurethebox.com they specialize in young drivers, with them I'll be surprised if you get quoted at 2.5k - With this insurance they put a box in your car that measures various things from your speed, how fast your accelerate, how hard you brake... it can tell which road your on, what the speed limit is on that road etc.. So if you constantly speel, your insurance will go up or they will choose not to insure you.. You are limited to 6k miles a year, but you can "top up" your miles in packages of 250, 500 and 1000 (from the top of my head)

As long as you are a safe driver and do not rag your car about, this will be the best option for you.. You'll find that compare websites will mug you off and ask for about 4-5k for insurance

Teabags
24-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Should be able to. Mate is fully comp. on a 1.0 Corsa for £2200.
1.1 Clio shouldn't be a problem - (say you don't drive far, when filling in details like Under 1000 miles a year/lowest one)

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?192458-Insurance-17-Year-Old-Clio-1.1-1998-RN
some guy got his insured for £1650 on Quinn-Direct < not sure.

Shoe
24-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Quinn Direct is dodgy as :P

i just used go compare or something they bring loads up... dont get a tracker box fitted in your car its stupid... they will rip you off and you will end up paying loads more than you need to... as for under 3K tbh i think it would be around that price... depends what you go for tho...

Like where you keep it in the day and over night will make some difference and stuff.

myke
24-05-2011, 03:52 PM

i just used go compare or something they bring loads up... dont get a tracker box fitted in your car its stupid... they will rip you off and you will end up paying loads more than you need to... as for under 3K tbh i think it would be around that price... depends what you go for tho...

Like where you keep it in the day and over night will make some difference and stuff.

god knows how quinn direct is dodgy. ive been with them now, this is my second year, ive not had any problems...

it really does depend on what you're doing mileage wise, the area you live in etc

try not to lie about it though cus that'll get you in more **** in the end

Triz
24-05-2011, 04:23 PM

They don't rip you off if you keep to their policy.. The base it on many factors, which is fair. If they see your driving after 10pm onwards regularly, your premiums will go up as you'll most likely to get into a crash at night due to drunk drivers/boy racers etc... If you drive safe, as the law permits you too, no hard accelerating, no hard braking, no breaking the speed limit etc.. and not regularly at night then they won't mug you off. They want the safest drivers who just want to use their car for work or to meet mates as opposed to going out every night and getting back at stupid O'Clock.

j0rd
24-05-2011, 04:34 PM
I quoted first driver insurance on a 2006 Volkswagen Golf and the lowest price was something like £3,200.

tdi
24-05-2011, 06:23 PM
They don't rip you off if you keep to their policy.. The base it on many factors, which is fair. If they see your driving after 10pm onwards regularly, your premiums will go up as you'll most likely to get into a crash at night due to drunk drivers/boy racers etc... If you drive safe, as the law permits you too, no hard accelerating, no hard braking, no breaking the speed limit etc.. and not regularly at night then they won't mug you off. They want the safest drivers who just want to use their car for work or to meet mates as opposed to going out every night and getting back at stupid O'Clock.

I love these stupid box things, I can't believe people think they are a good idea. It's basially a curfew and a 'no funs' box. Imagine going out and realising 'oh dear, it's only half past 9, i only have half an hour to get home otherwise I will be charged!' - and the 'more likely to get into a crash at night' isn't 100% true because although there is the risk of drunk drivers, boy racers etc there is also so much more traffic through the day.

You go on to say 'as the law permits you to-' the only thing you mentioed which is actually illegal is 'breaking the speed limit' - it's not against the law to accelerate quickly or brake heavily. You also go on to say 'use their car for work' when the tracker box is for a SDP policy and does not cover commuting.

Stupid really, I'll just stick to my conventional car insurance where I pay a lump sum and then for the rest of the year I don't have to worry about having my premium picked at random out of a hat. As a bonus, I don't have to have some scrawny insurance man badly fit a tracker box.

Arron
24-05-2011, 06:24 PM
As stated above it depends on many factors, I'd be surprised if it was over 5k a year. You'll probably be looking at 3k assuming your 17.
Is what I recommend is that you get yourself a quote on www.insurethebox.com they specialize in young drivers, with them I'll be surprised if you get quoted at 2.5k - With this insurance they put a box in your car that measures various things from your speed, how fast your accelerate, how hard you brake... it can tell which road your on, what the speed limit is on that road etc.. So if you constantly speel, your insurance will go up or they will choose not to insure you.. You are limited to 6k miles a year, but you can "top up" your miles in packages of 250, 500 and 1000 (from the top of my head)

As long as you are a safe driver and do not rag your car about, this will be the best option for you.. You'll find that compare websites will mug you off and ask for about 4-5k for insurance

That sucks...

2002 Toyota Yaris 1.0
Insurance Group 2E

Annual: £3866.43
Monthly: £346.43 X 10 with an Initial Deposit of £773.29

danzooo
24-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Should be able to. Mate is fully comp. on a 1.0 Corsa for £2200.
1.1 Clio shouldn't be a problem - (say you don't drive far, when filling in details like Under 1000 miles a year/lowest one)

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?192458-Insurance-17-Year-Old-Clio-1.1-1998-RN
some guy got his insured for £1650 on Quinn-Direct < not sure.

Are you a member on CS?

What is so dangerous/illegal/damning about this? At the weekends (Friday nights in particular) I quite often go out with friends in the car. We drive to places and hang out, chat, eat, have fun, and driving around the town with all the drunk people going about is a laugh too. More often than none I spot people I know coming out of nightclubs and give them lifts, often making some money out of it, and I don't get home some nights until about 3 in the morning.

Don't see why my premiums should go up for doing that

Shoe
24-05-2011, 08:08 PM

Exactly thats how they rip you off... breaking heavily... maybe someone pulls out on you or an animal or person walks out on you.... what you gonna do ???

Personally i work untill after 10 most nights so it would cost me more just to drive home from work ?

Thats all exactly how they rip you off...

myke
24-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Are you a member on CS?

What is so dangerous/illegal/damning about this? At the weekends (Friday nights in particular) I quite often go out with friends in the car. We drive to places and hang out, chat, eat, have fun, and driving around the town with all the drunk people going about is a laugh too. More often than none I spot people I know coming out of nightclubs and give them lifts, often making some money out of it, and I don't get home some nights until about 3 in the morning.

welcome to the real world, moulded around statistics

Triz
24-05-2011, 11:01 PM
I love these stupid box things, I can't believe people think they are a good idea. It's basially a curfew and a 'no funs' box. Imagine going out and realising 'oh dear, it's only half past 9, i only have half an hour to get home otherwise I will be charged!' - and the 'more likely to get into a crash at night' isn't 100% true because although there is the risk of drunk drivers, boy racers etc there is also so much more traffic through the day.

You go on to say 'as the law permits you to-' the only thing you mentioed which is actually illegal is 'breaking the speed limit' - it's not against the law to accelerate quickly or brake heavily. You also go on to say 'use their car for work' when the tracker box is for a SDP policy and does not cover commuting.

Stupid really, I'll just stick to my conventional car insurance where I pay a lump sum and then for the rest of the year I don't have to worry about having my premium picked at random out of a hat. As a bonus, I don't have to have some scrawny insurance man badly fit a tracker box.

I didn't mean " If you drive safe, as the law permits you too, no hard accelerating, no hard braking, no breaking the speed limit etc." As it is said, as such :) I meant If you drive safe, as the law permits you too, things such as hard accelerating, hard braking and breaking the speed limit will cause your premiums to increase.

That sucks...

2002 Toyota Yaris 1.0
Insurance Group 2E

Annual: £3866.43
Monthly: £346.43 X 10 with an Initial Deposit of £773.29

Ouch, that is still quite expensive. If you still got quoted that much on insurethebox, you may as well go for normal insurance.

All well in saying that, I go out at night all the time too, a lot of weird people out at that time, and statistically most of the UK's accidents happen at night, which is why if you drive at night on a constant basis, your premiums will rise. Insurance companies base everything they do on insuring people based on statistics, from where you live, the crime rate in your neighborhood, how often you use your car, what time of the day you use your car etc.. It is only natural for them to raise your premiums as it is based on statistics.

As I said, I go out a lot at night too, where I may not drive like a complete lunatic, other people do BECAUSE of the fact there are less people on the road and they feel that the risk factor is lower than if they were to speed and drive like a banana during the daytime.. Due to this, they crash, which is why premiums rise if you drive at night.

Exactly thats how they rip you off... breaking heavily... maybe someone pulls out on you or an animal or person walks out on you.... what you gonna do ???

Personally i work untill after 10 most nights so it would cost me more just to drive home from work ?

Thats all exactly how they rip you off...

That is how they rip people off who want to rag their car about everywhere yes.. I for one don't, when I first started driving, this was perfect for me, I got highly cheap car insurance and although I had to be careful about how i accelerated and the speed limit, it was worth saving the money over in the long run!
They don't whack up your premiums the second you brake hard, it'll have to be a consistent pattern, as well as driving at night, if you do it regularly then it'll go up, however if it is only once here and there then they won't mind, so if someone pulls in front of you, or an animal walks out on you then you do what you need to do.

The "curfew" is not set at 10, you can decide that with the company, obviously the earlier it is, the cheaper your insurance will be. But they don't care if your at work or not, if you declare to ANY insurance company that most of your time spend driving will be at late hours, they will quote you rather high as opposed to if you don't declare it. That is just life, some things are just not fair :)

Shoe
24-05-2011, 11:57 PM
exactly... so me saying i will be driving home from work at a late hour will mean it will automatically be higher anyway ??
therefor they are getting more money out of me...

I havent seen many insurance companies who ask you to provide a time which you most drive, and tbh its a load of **** cause you are more likely to have an accident in the day cause there are more people on the road? obv more overall in the country or whatever will happen in the day. So basically you had to drive like an old person for the first year or so that you passed ?? tbh im sure your insurance wasnt overall that cheap anyway ?

Personally i dont speed everywhere and stuff, tho do you really think im gonna stick to 30 or even 20 in some places when it just pisses other people off including pissing me off cause its so damn slow.

Triz
25-05-2011, 12:27 AM
exactly... so me saying i will be driving home from work at a late hour will mean it will automatically be higher anyway ??
therefor they are getting more money out of me...

I havent seen many insurance companies who ask you to provide a time which you most drive, and tbh its a load of **** cause you are more likely to have an accident in the day cause there are more people on the road? obv more overall in the country or whatever will happen in the day. So basically you had to drive like an old person for the first year or so that you passed ?? tbh im sure your insurance wasnt overall that cheap anyway ?

Personally i dont speed everywhere and stuff, tho do you really think im gonna stick to 30 or even 20 in some places when it just pisses other people off including pissing me off cause its so damn slow.

They tend not to ask what hours you drive your car, unless you are a young driver, by which they assume the worst and just rip out off anyway.
& no, although you may think so, your more likely to have a crash at night, as mentioned above, this is due to teenagers being overconfident in their driving ability, they take more risks because of the fact there is no one around.. You can have a crash without another car being involved, just because there are less cars around at night does not mean that you can't crash.

Teenage Driver Crash Risk Factors
The traffic accident rates for 16- to 19-year old drivers are higher than those for any other age group. What causes teenage drivers to be such risky drivers? The following is a list of their primary risk factors.

Poor hazard detection
The ability to detect hazards in the driving environment depends upon perceptual and information-gathering skills and involves properly identifying stimuli as potential threats. It takes time for young novice drivers to acquire this ability.

Low risk perception
Risk perception involves subjectively assessing the degree of threat posed by a hazard and one's ability to deal with the threat. Young novice drivers tend to underestimate the crash risk in hazardous situations and overestimate their ability to avoid the threats they identify.

Risk Taking
Teenagers tend to take more risks while driving partly due to their overconfidence in their driving abilities. Young novice drivers are more likely to engage in risky behaviors like speeding, tailgating, running red lights, violating traffic signs and signals, making illegal turns, passing dangerously, and failure to yield to pedestrians.

Not wearing seat belts
Teenagers tend to wear safety belts less often than older drivers. Why?

Lack of skill
Novice teenage drivers have not yet completely mastered basic vehicle handling skills and safe-driving knowledge they need to drive safely.

Alcohol and drugs
Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs is a common cause of serious crashes, especially fatal ones, involving teenage drivers. Teenagers who drink and drive are at much greater risk of serious crashes than are older drivers with equal concentrations of alcohol in their blood.

Carrying passengers
For teenagers, the risk of being in a crash increases when they transport passengers-the fatality risk of drivers aged 16-17 years is 3.6 times higher when they are driving with passengers than when they are driving alone, and the relative risk of a fatal crash increases as the number of passengers increases. Passengers who are age peers may distract the teen drivers and encourage them to take more risks, especially for young males riding with young male drivers.

Night driving
The per mile crash rate for teenaged drivers is 3 times higher after 9:00 pm during the day. This is because the task of driving at night is more difficult; they have less experience driving at night than during the day; they are more sleep deprived, and/or because teenage recreational driving, which often involves alcohol, is more likely to occur at night.

You may not believe in these statistics, you don't have too, but insurance companies do, and will continue to do so because it works! They give the safe drivers a good deal and rip off the wreak-less drivers

Night shift workers are more likely to crash their cars than people who work during the day, a study into fatigue-related accidents has found.

Researchers at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill found that drivers who did not work nights were four or five times less likely to crash their vehicle.

The project's principle investigator, Dr Jane Stutts, said that the researchers believed the study was the first of its kind to contact large numbers of drivers involved in sleep-related crashes soon after their accident.

Drivers should ensure that they get enough regular sleep
The research - funded by the American Automobile Association Foundation for Traffic Safety - found that people involved in "sleep" mishaps had a very different profile from drivers involved in other accidents.

Other factors strongly associated with "drowsy crashes" included - not surprisingly - sleeping less than six hours a night, being awake for 20 hours or longer, and frequent driving between midnight and 6am.

Working 60 or more hours a week also increased drivers' risk - 27% of drivers in fatigue-related car crashes worked 60 or more hours weekly.

Drivers in sleep-related crashes were also twice as likely to have more than one job, the survey found.

Dr Stutts said: "My impression when I talked to a lot of these people was, 'well no wonder you fell asleep at the wheel, you must have been exhausted'.

"We found that drivers in sleep and fatigue-related crashes were four to five times more likely than drivers in the control crash group to work night shift jobs.

"Everyone who doesn't get enough sleep on a regular basis, however, is at risk. The vast majority of people in our study who crashed as a result of driving while drowsy either got too little sleep on a routine basis and built up what sleep researchers describe as "sleep debt", or they got far too little sleep before trying to drive."

The Automobile Association says that fatigue is a factor in 10-20% of accidents in the UK.

The AA's head of road safety, Andrew Howard, said that drivers should never attempt to drive more than two hours without taking a break of at least 20 minutes, and should never drive more than eight hours in one day.

Business drivers and elderly affected

He said: "At this time of year, the people involved in fatigue-related accidents are different to at the rest of the year.

"At any other time, the people who are most affected are business drivers, who will drive four hours to a meeting, have the meeting and then drive four hours back.

"They are under a lot of pressure, are quite blasé about driving, and would rather not "waste" the 20 mins stopping to take a break.

"At this time of the year, however, the people affected tend to be those who aren't used to driving long distances, but are visiting friends and family over Christmas and the New Year. They tend to be older people."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/573960.stm

danzooo
25-05-2011, 01:10 AM
If I'm being brutally honest I'd rather not fanny about with a tracker which will dictate my insurance premiums based on whether I'm out and about at night, or I'm having an ever so slightly "spirited drive" on the odd occasion. I'm quite happy to shell out just over £1400 a year to have my car and to drive it how I want, when I want. Those box things are ridiculous

Triz
25-05-2011, 12:40 PM
If I'm being brutally honest I'd rather not fanny about with a tracker which will dictate my insurance premiums based on whether I'm out and about at night, or I'm having an ever so slightly "spirited drive" on the odd occasion. I'm quite happy to shell out just over £1400 a year to have my car and to drive it how I want, when I want. Those box things are ridiculous

I agree, but only because I am older now and it costs me a lot less to insure my car, but when I first started, I was getting quoted stupid money, and with a clear/black box in my car, it reduced what I paid by over half! and due to my driving, I never had my premiums rise. I accelerated as I normally would all the time and on occasion I would just have my fun and accelerate really hard, and I was braking as I needed to, if I needed to break hard for something, I did so.. but they base your braking on how fast you accelerate, if they see you accelerate hard, it'll cause you to brake harder when in a town, whereas if you don't accelerate hard in a town then you can brake normally and softly.

People only tend to use this type of insurance for a year, and only when they first start driving. Because yes, it is very restricting, but it did the world of good to many people, all you have to do is drive as you did while you were taking your test/driving lessons and you'll be absolutely fine. Great for people who just want to go out with their mates sleep over their house, the occasional night drive at stupid O'Clock and drive to work and back.

awelsh
25-05-2011, 07:39 PM
My first year cost me £1750odd fully comp on a 1.2 1998 clio (same car ive got now) that was for 10,000 mile a year with Aviva, I did pass plus though so that dropped mine down a load.

People saying about Quinn Direct, I avoided them as upon reading the smal print they are infact in liquidation so id avoid them like the plague.

This year my insurance has dropped to £750 fully comp :) thats again with Aviva.

Triz
25-05-2011, 10:56 PM
My first year cost me £1750odd fully comp on a 1.2 1998 clio (same car ive got now) that was for 10,000 mile a year with Aviva, I did pass plus though so that dropped mine down a load.

People saying about Quinn Direct, I avoided them as upon reading the smal print they are infact in liquidation so id avoid them like the plague.

This year my insurance has dropped to £750 fully comp :) thats again with Aviva.

Thats great! I was curious about Aviva, so I went to have a peek and attempted to get a quote and:

The Car Insurance Quote service is currently unavailable, please try again soon.

Typical eh? lol

Recursion
03-06-2011, 01:24 PM

They are still a company. They are NOT in liquidation, they are in administration, two totally seperate concepts. Irish law dictates they cannot lawfully go into liquidation whilst under administration, as you can see on their FAQs, here: http://www.quinn-direct.co.uk/questions_and_answers.html

awelsh
03-06-2011, 01:46 PM
They are still a company. They are NOT in liquidation, they are in administration, two totally seperate concepts. Irish law dictates they cannot lawfully go into liquidation whilst under administration, as you can see on their FAQs, here: http://www.quinn-direct.co.uk/questions_and_answers.html

Meh I remember reading something, still wouldnt want to go with them really.

danzooo
05-06-2011, 01:33 AM
I personally wouldn't go with Quinn either. When I bought my old car last year, the guy I bought it off told me to go to Quinn, and when I went to them for a quote, the best they could do was in the region of over £2k, and that was with a provisional driving license. Would hate to see what sort of figures they would offer now that they're in administration.

GommeInc
07-06-2011, 12:06 AM
I have my insurance with Tesco and they did a reasonable deal for me when I was first driving. I'm not sure if that applies to the cost of insurance these days, but if you want you could check them out.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!