PDA

View Full Version : finding a job

Andys
07-06-2011, 11:25 PM
right, i've basically finished school now so will be looking for a part-time job over the summer/while im at college some nights and weekends, and i just honestly can't find anything anywhere. i've tried websites of all the shops in town, supermarkets etc. nothing at all, is there an easier way!?

Triz
07-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Best you post this here rather than spam lol.

As to answer your question: Is there an easier way? No.
Best thing you can do is put your CV online into agencies, and wait for calls.. or go to your local Job Center and see what is available.
It's harder to get jobs now-a-days, due to the recession people are staying in the job they have, whereas before people often jumped between jobs.

Andys
07-06-2011, 11:32 PM
thanks Sectional.
but will stores who are hiring bother to look on agencies? I mean that's all i want a part time job in a shop or something since i'm going to have college next year.
just thought agencies were mainly for full time jobs really.

Triz
07-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Large stores such as Tescos, then probably not, as the second that they advertise they are hiring, they get swamped with emails of peoples CV.. So you need to be fast in that sense, and you also need to have a good CV, so that it stands out in a bunch.
Your best bet is to go to the Job Center though and get help and advice from someone who knows your area and has a list of all available jobs around and about; this way they can select ones appropriate for you, which can work in with your college hours and which ones are most convenient for you to get too in relation to distance, either from your home or from your place of education.

My first job was a Cleaner at an RAF base, and I applied on Directgov website. I simply called the number supplied and then they called me in for an interview the next day and then I found myself working for them the following day.. It all happened so fast! I didn't even have to write a CV :)
You just have to keep trying though buddy! You'll find the right job for you eventually, it's just harder now-a-days with the recession an all, people tend not to move in and out of jobs like they used too.

They say once you have a job, it's easier to get another job elsewhere, as you have a working background. So it's just that first initial step that is the hardest, but if you put yourself out there, someone will pick you up
Also don't just apply for 1 job and wait for an answer. Apply for loads :) - You can always turn down others offers if you get one that is suitable for you.

Charlottay!
08-06-2011, 01:31 PM
if ur 18, wetherspoons r always looking to hire people to work bar and floor

StripedTiger
08-06-2011, 01:54 PM
with students i think its all about luck... at the same time me and my sister started looking for a job. she was 16 and i was 18. we both send our cv to a local tesco store and my sister took both of our cvs around our local city centre handing them out to as many shops as possible. We filled in so many applications forms it was silly.

Within a week i got a phonecall off the tesco store and an interview and ive been working there for nearly 2 years. my sister, now 18 herself, is still looking for a job..... lol

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!