PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Uniteds transfer policy

Spuds
22-06-2011, 09:42 PM
At what point will this come into question. The last time I highlighted it was the Berbatov deal. At the time Manchester United engaged in contract talks with Berbatov, who was in Manchester after Manchester City had a bid accepted, Manchester United had not registered a bid with Tottenham. As we should all know, this means the club had no right to talk to the player. Thankfully Berbatov agreed terms with Manchester United and so they paid a few extra million to prevent Tottenham reporting them to the FA for investigation.

Recently we've seen a blatant attempt at tapping up from Slur Ferguson with regards to the De Gea deal. Manchester United hadn't lodged a bid for De Gea and yet were openly telling the media they expect him to sign in the coming weeks. It was only yesterday that reports suggested they would be left red faced after De Gea may have made a u-turn, although that is more than likely media trash.

And then we have Jones. The chicken farmers made it public knowledge that Manchester United engaged in talks before bidding (and triggering the clause) which would have rubbished the clause. Other clubs were happy to match this clause however Manchester United tapped him up. Once again, they've paid a few extra million to move the deal along.

Perhaps if Manchester United were to keep the millions they've wasted on Bebe, Veron, Foster, Djemba Djemba (so bad they named him twice)... the list goes, they would have more money to complete better deals by paying off the clubs to keep them hushed after tapping the player up.

JackBuddy
22-06-2011, 10:27 PM
To be fair most clubs speak to players before they have permission. Tapping up is rife in football although not as blatent as Chelsea for example with the Modric fiasco. Harry Redknapp and a few football agents on Twitter have said this too.

Adam
23-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Alright dude, long time Matty.

Every club 'taps up' players, it's a formality nowadays. I'd rather question Manchester United's transfer policy when it comes to spending more than they make. The club is £500m+ in debt however still has the money to pay big money and big wages for big players. I thought UEFA was imposing a ban on clubs that couldn't break even? They can't enforce it though because 90% of clubs do not break even. Arsenal is the only club that comes to mind that actually makes a profit year in year out.

Spuds
23-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Very true, hell I don't even trust us not to mess it up. We have the likes of RSC sitting on 80K a week in the medical room, it's no wonder no clubs want to buy the players off us. To be honest, I only really created this thread to see if I could spark a debate up over something which would no doubt have been a two page thread a few years ago.

I see VDV had a good season.

JackBuddy
23-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Alright dude, long time Matty.

Every club 'taps up' players, it's a formality nowadays. I'd rather question Manchester United's transfer policy when it comes to spending more than they make. The club is £500m+ in debt however still has the money to pay big money and big wages for big players. I thought UEFA was imposing a ban on clubs that couldn't break even? They can't enforce it though because 90% of clubs do not break even. Arsenal is the only club that comes to mind that actually makes a profit year in year out.
IIRC there are only 3 clubs in the PL who have a wage/turnover ratio of 55%, City's is about 95% (from the top of my head). Technically United should be allowed to pay the wages they do because of the high turnover they have. Financial fair play is/will be useless, the rules are flawed and have many grey areas and loopholes. Arsenal make a profit but are about £200m in debt, I think Stoke are the only club that aren't in the red.

Adam
26-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Very true, hell I don't even trust us not to mess it up. We have the likes of RSC sitting on 80K a week in the medical room, it's no wonder no clubs want to buy the players off us. To be honest, I only really created this thread to see if I could spark a debate up over something which would no doubt have been a two page thread a few years ago.

I see VDV had a good season.
With the average IQ of most of the members nowadays you'd be lucky to get a coherent reply.

Spuds
27-06-2011, 05:51 PM
With the average IQ of most of the members nowadays you'd be lucky to get a coherent reply.
Haha, I saw a post the other day from an Arsenal fan saying they were about to sign some guy, can't remember the name. The guy seemed chuffed however I doubt he's even seen him play.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!