PDA

View Full Version : insurance

Andys
27-07-2011, 01:32 AM
blah blah, i know there's millions of threads on here but recently i've been looking for insurance quotes for when i'm able to drive (about 6 months time) just to see how much it will actually cost me. and i've been looking at cheap cars under £1000 second hand with 1.0 - 1.2l engines and the cheapest insurance quote i have been able to get is £7,000!?

i know for a fact some 17/18 year olds on here manage to get there insurance around £1,500 so yeah my question is.. how!? i mean this is for fully comp and being the main driver, but still £7k!?

Recursion
27-07-2011, 08:25 AM
I was fully comp and main driver for ~ £2300 I think (6 months on my provisional and then updated halfway through to my full license which added about £500 on :l). Now I'm 18 and I've been driving a year it's down to £1700... slowly decreasing lol. Don't use price comparison sites and see if there's any deals with your mum/dad's insurance where you can be added onto their policies as a multicar or something.

It totally depends on where you live etc, I wouldn't start looking yet either because most quotes won't work properly if your DOB is more than 30 days away. I'm not much help but someone like dubstep should be! xD

danzooo
27-07-2011, 11:50 AM
£7k is ridiculous, on the likes of Confused not even my most expensive premiums are as high as that. Just out of curiousity, what sort of options are you choosing? Are your parents on it too?

Technologic
27-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Admiral worked out best for me, multicar policy with me as the named driver cut my premium by £1500 from what AA was offering when i switched

Andys
27-07-2011, 11:05 PM
£7k is ridiculous, on the likes of Confused not even my most expensive premiums are as high as that. Just out of curiousity, what sort of options are you choosing? Are your parents on it too?
No I was putting it down as my car with only me on the insurance, which is ideally what I would like.

I have been using comparison websites, but putting my dob as one year earlier (so i'd be just over 17) but no luck!

LMS16
28-07-2011, 08:10 AM
I got mine from £6500 down to £2400 (with £371 deposit) so £2800, I have a 1.1l Citroen Saxo, Im 17 & passed under a month ago...

That is my own policy & with my mother on I got 5% discount :)

Give it a try: http://adrianflux.com ;)

Lew.

Arron
28-07-2011, 08:36 AM
I get quotes of £7,000. It's stupid :/

danzooo
28-07-2011, 11:01 AM
No I was putting it down as my car with only me on the insurance, which is ideally what I would like.

I have been using comparison websites, but putting my dob as one year earlier (so i'd be just over 17) but no luck!

That's where you're going wrong. Your cheapest option is to have both your parents as named drivers on your car. I got added to my parents' Admiral Multicar policy when I first passed with both of them as named drivers on my car and it was £1400. My renewal is next month and it's now working out cheaper to be on my own with Tesco, but with my parents still as named drivers on my car. That's why it's so high for you.

Andys
28-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Isn't that illegal though? Haha, like if you get caught. I don't really wanna be insured on the family car and would ideally like to have my own, would you reccomend getting my parents put down as main drivers on my car?

The Don
28-07-2011, 03:26 PM
I don't know if you got my visitor message, but here it is:
"Hey buddy, I've just recently passed my test and had the same dilemma as you, I checked all the comparison websites and it was still 4-5,000 quid for insurance. I went on direct line (the website) and did a quote with my dad as the main driver (he has 5 years no claims) and me as a named driver as it's down to £1,700 fully comp, for me to be the main driver, the insurance was to high to receive a quote. I hope i've helped :P "

It's called insurance fronting, so yes, it is technically against the law, thousands of people do it, and I would rather risk it than pay ridiculous amounts of money to drive. The only time you're likely to get caught/investigated is if you crash, so just drive carefully.

myke
28-07-2011, 03:32 PM
I don't know if you got my visitor message, but here it is:
"Hey buddy, I've just recently passed my test and had the same dilemma as you, I checked all the comparison websites and it was still 4-5,000 quid for insurance. I went on direct line (the website) and did a quote with my dad as the main driver (he has 5 years no claims) and me as a named driver as it's down to £1,700 fully comp, for me to be the main driver, the insurance was to high to receive a quote. I hope i've helped :P "

It's called insurance fronting, so yes, it is technically against the law, thousands of people do it, and I would rather risk it than pay ridiculous amounts of money to drive. The only time you're likely to get caught/investigated is if you crash, so just drive carefully.

you won't get your no claims if you do it akeam's way :P

insurance has gone up a lot. try the ones with trackers, i have a friend she got a 1.2 corsa 2001 plate just yesterday, she lives in a meh area and has it 105 quid a month which is really good. that's with co op. along as you're not a silly driver then that's alright i guess :)

Andys
28-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks guys :) I might see about getting my parents put on the insurance as main drivers then...

GoldenMerc
28-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Insurance is crazy, I mean i couldn't get insured on anything other than a focus (that i searched for) for under £5000 then i searched on gocompare for my 1.6i focus and it was around £1200

danzooo
28-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Isn't that illegal though? Haha, like if you get caught. I don't really wanna be insured on the family car and would ideally like to have my own, would you reccomend getting my parents put down as main drivers on my car?

No, hence why i said named drivers on your car, you're still the main one. Fronting is stupid

tdi
31-07-2011, 01:53 AM
If you're found to be fronting in the event of a crash you can end up with a void policy, you'll have to pay all the damages yourself and you COULD be convicted of having no insurance. It's really not worth it.

Recursion
31-07-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm with Quinn and just got my renewal notice through and it's £1300, may as well stick with Quinn rather than go with Admiral and the rest of 'em who wanted £1800 - £2500, hellll yes.

awelsh
01-08-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm with Quinn and just got my renewal notice through and it's £1300, may as well stick with Quinn rather than go with Admiral and the rest of 'em who wanted £1800 - £2500, hellll yes.

Bet you can get it cheaper than that, need to ring places up.

My insurance dropped from £1800 down to £1200 at renewal with my insurer, I rung around and have now got a quote for £714 with no excess, and even a courtesy car included.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!