PDA

View Full Version : Just had car serviced

Robbie
07-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Another thread from me!

Just has my car serviced and they came back with this list of stuff that needs fixing. I know now that the previous owner probably never looked after it and did everything on the cheap (you'll read why in a minute) and god knows when it was last serviced, I think he just bought some stamps or something pretending to be a garage and stamped the book. Starting to think it had a dodgy MOT too..

Had it's MOT in March and passed (a week before I bought it) anyway here's whats wrong:

- Off side and near side indicator bulbs painted amber (?), needs new bulbs (can do these myself obviously)
- Number plate light not working, MOT fail, terminals corroded needs new wiring loom (£200ish)
- Near side dipped headlamp bulb doesn't match the other (can do myself)
- Off side rear wheel bearing needs replacing (£180+ I think?)
- Both front anti-roll bar links need replacing (can't remember the price)
- Off side front ball joint needs replacing (can't remember the price)
- Off side rear wheel buckled (£80 I think?)
- Both number plates wearing away, MOT fail, (£21 for both new ones fitted, thinking of buying some legal ones off ebay and just replacing myself)
- Bonnet is not original bonnet or OEM bonnet, "cheap bodyshop copy" rusting and corroding (advised to change)
- Tread low but not illegal on 3 out of 4 tyres.

Quite a list. Renault quoted £887 inc 4 new tyres to fix it all. Obviously not paying that as it's main dealer prices and car is only worth £1500ish.

What would you get sorted the most urgently and how much do you think I'm looking at. Can't afford everything at once obviously

Cheers :( :(

danzooo
07-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Buckled wheel is probably your most important fix there, followed by the replacement ball joint, anti-roll bar links and wheel bearing. Everything else is pretty trivial, but will need to be done before its' next MOT

myke
08-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Get yourself a soldering iron and some wire and get soldering, you can fix those number plate lights.

Ball joints arent expensive

eBay numberplates not always a great idea, do thorough checks that theyre legal first

Tyres you can get part worn ones for good prices, some with like 5mm tread on if youre on a budget.

Thats saved you a pretty penny, espesh with the numberplate light... 200 quid for a wiring loom is bonkers lol

GTA-Andy
08-09-2011, 11:54 AM
If you want cheap, legal, plates try here: http://www.fancyplates.com I've used them for years. £15 a set a pretty quick delivery.

Metric1
08-09-2011, 04:18 PM
I would do the ball joints immediately and the buckled wheel.

Jake
08-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Buy a haynes manual and do it yourself seriously you will save hundreds.

tdi
09-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Everything's way out of proportion there. You're just gonna get robbed. As said it's so much cheaper to do it yourself.

One pair of bulbs is less than £5.
Numberplate lights, just get some new terminals from a scrapyard, cut the old ones out and connect together with crimps.
Wheel bearing will be much less than £180 for fitting and supply. I bought my wheel bearing for £13 and fitted it for free.
Anti roll bar bushes will be about £20 for the set.
No idea on the cost of a ball joint, wouldn't be that much.
Buy a single wheel from a scrapyard if you can. Failing that, eBay. Failing that, £80 isn't a bad price for a repair.
Number plates are simple. Buy online and you don't need your V5 as proof.
OEM and original are the same thing, but your bonnet isn't too much to worry about. Clio bonnets kink easily when people sit on them.
As long as your tread's over 1.6mm it's fine. Get part worn tyres if you're not looking to spend alot.

awelsh
10-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Wow your over spending there on servicing.

You say it passed the MOT in March. Many of these problems could have come up afterwards such as the number plate light as thats a common failiure on clio's. Do not pay £200 to fix that! Go to a scrappy, cut the plate light off that car and then re wire it yourself.

Buckled wheel for £80 isnt worth it either, buy a single wheel of ebay with a decent tyre for about £60odd delivered. As you have said your tyres are balding id just buy a new set completely (I do this everytime, new set of wheels is £100 on ebay with decent tyres compared to £60 odd a corner just for tyres, without balancing)

Headlamp bulb wouldnt really bother me to be honest, mine are odd as it is. As for the bonnet thats more than likely renault just being picky, if its rust underneath it in the engine bay then just blast some underseal on there and put the sound deadening cover back on as no one will see that part anyway.

Their all relatively cheap fixes to be honest, dont pay the main renault dealer for any of the things you have mentioned.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!