PDA

View Full Version : Tires & Rims for Winter

Metric1
14-09-2011, 01:33 PM
My dad had the same car as me before so he gave me his set of winter tires mounted on rims. The rims look like **** and tires are half worn. The wheels are steel so they're rusting a bit from the salt. I won't use my alloys in the winter because they're in mint condition and I don't want the salt eating away at my precious alloys.

http://i52.tinypic.com/xda4hz.jpg

Those are the same wheels I have now for the winter. I know I can't just spray over the rust because it will 1) look like **** and 2) the rust will just come through the paint again. Would it wise to sand-blast the wheels and re-spray them or should I just cut my losses and buy a new wheel & tire package?

kuzkasate
14-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Surprised you're not buying a new car tbh but yeah, cut your losses and buy the package.

danzooo
14-09-2011, 06:26 PM
I too am not surprised you haven't just decided to buy a whole new G4 spec Land Rover Discovery

Metric1
14-09-2011, 11:45 PM
I too am not surprised you haven't just decided to buy a whole new G4 spec Land Rover Discovery

Why would I get a Discovery when my family already has a S/C Range Rover?

myke
15-09-2011, 01:13 AM
you could just get away with sealing and waxing your alloys and they should be fine

Recursion
15-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Why do people even bother? We have alloys and have never bothered with rubbish like this, we just clean them when winter is over and they look as if they just came out of the factory :S

(On mum's 307 CC and dad's past Audis anyways, we'll probably do the same on our XC60 again this year...)

GTA-Andy
15-09-2011, 07:18 PM
They're winter wheels, who cares about looks? It'll be for a few months. It's only surface rust so it's not like they're going to disappear.

AgnesIO
15-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Why would I get a Discovery when my family already has a S/C Range Rover?

Aren't they like 70k each?

awelsh
15-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Why bother changing wheels/tyres that are perfectly fine just for the winter? :S I keep my current alloys on over winter and just drive a tad slower so I dont mow into a brick wall when driving on snow and ice because I dont get winter tyres.

tdi
16-09-2011, 12:28 AM
I have winter wheels, as the excess salt on the roads eats my unlaquered dishes, but with regards to the rust and what not just give it a sanding down and then spray them. If I was you I'd just do them black and get some OEM trims.

Metric1
20-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Aren't they like 70k each?

yeah, when they're new they're pushing 90k. ours has over 150k on it, it's worth like 20 maybe 25k if we're lucky.

They're winter wheels, who cares about looks? It'll be for a few months. It's only surface rust so it's not like they're going to disappear.

they'll be on for 6 months, same as the alloys.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!