PDA

View Full Version : Why do people who choose triple science get 2 extra GCSE's ?

MKR&*42
17-09-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure..why people who choose triple science for their options, get 3 GCSE's, compared to people who choose double science (additional science) and only get 1.

I know that triple scientists learn 1 extra unit, but surely that can't mean 2 other GCSE's I mean, triple scientists in our school only get 1 extra science lessons compared to double scientists and that extra lessons is only physics, not biology or chemistry o.o

Anyone got any knowledge of this?

Note: Triple scientists get a GCSE in Biology, chemistry and physics
Double scientists just get a GCSE in science.

Red
17-09-2011, 06:48 PM
I did double science and did all 3 subjects but it counted as 2 gcses not 1?

MKR&*42
17-09-2011, 06:55 PM
I did double science and did all 3 subjects but it counted as 2 gcses not 1?

O.o everyone at our school said that we only get 1 :L - I'll ask my science teacher on Monday, see what she says.

chantellehugs
17-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Science and Additional Science are seperate GCSE's, so you get 2 by doing double science. If you do triple science you do Physics, Chemistry and Biology as seperate subjects and gain 3 GCSE's. In my school I did triple and double science, so I got 5 GCSE's. But in all honesty you're learning the same things, just doing more coursework and exams :)

Jssy
17-09-2011, 07:00 PM
i do double and we get a gcse for year 10 and a gcse for year 11

Red
17-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Well when I was doing it, tripple counted as 3, double as 2 and single as 1. We all did biology, chemistry and physics but in different amounts, with tripple doing the most and single the least. Now I think my school just has biology, chemistry and physics as three different subjects to choose.

Samantha
17-09-2011, 07:22 PM
In our School Science was compulsary and we couldn't do any extra ones. Also, we weren't allowed to choose what we did. In a way I did have a choice, what happened was I did 5-7 paper for Sats and I was one of the only people who did it. I was put in the applied science class which was the second set in the year.

On our first Science lesson our results were read out and my class was getting levels 3-5 as they didn't do the higher paper and I got a level 6, however, my Science teacher told me that coursework would be better for me rather than exams but I could change if I wished.

The other one was just science which was 1 GCSE (I think) and you had 6 exams and no coursework, whereas. in applied Science it was Coursework and 1 exam and two GCSE's I got double C.

But, others did something like additional science and I'm not sure how many they got, but sometimes I heard people saying like 3 GCSE's.

In my opinion they should all be equal, well my science and normal science could have been. As 6 exams and no coursework is like coursework and 1 exam.

Mr-Trainor
17-09-2011, 07:50 PM
I did Science for year 10 and Additional Science for year 11, and then we got a separate grade for each, so two grades. I'd assume you should therefore be getting 2 as well :P.

beth
17-09-2011, 07:55 PM
i think science has changed since i did it, but i did double and got 2 gcses for it. (triple got 3, single got 1) people do triple science cause people are interested in science ha, and if you want to be a doctor or a midwife or something science-y a continued interest in science looks good for applications and stuff.

MKR&*42
17-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the answers (very informative) and all the help! Seems it's 2 GCSE's, not 1 as I thought :3

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!