PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone give me any advice on any of these uni's?

Rozi
04-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Right so I'm applying for a Criminology and Sociology degrees. Some of them are joint honours and some are just like a degree. I've got a short list of 6 uni's and I still need to decide on an insurance. It'll probs be Brighton.

So can people just give me some advice about what these uni's are like, what the nightlife is like, what the people are like, etc etc. Doesn't matter if you go there or if it's just what you've heard.

So the list is:

Cardiff
Essex (Colchester Campus)
Kent (Canterbury Campus)
Lancaster
Royal Holloway
Surrey

thank you my lovelies <3

j0rd
04-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Cardiff nightlife is amazing, only been there twice and had amazing times!
Can't say i've heard much about the uni though :P

beth
04-10-2011, 09:15 PM
well (as you know;))) i went to uni of kent, canterbury. and apart from MY course, i loved it down there. lots of good nightlife, the campus is amazing and you have everything you need on site. generally canterbury is quiet, and i missed the big city life. it's also pretty expensive down there, so i wouldn't suggest it pricewise. it's all quite pretentious, but quite a big part of kent is.

Hecktix
04-10-2011, 09:24 PM
If you're doing research into these uni's be careful, my advice would be to speak to the students who work on the Uni open days as these guys are more likely to be honest with you. I did some work with our SU on freshers week and so many freshers said to me "I've read online that nightlife at Royal Holloway is ****, is it?" and they've been really worried etc when really, unless you go to uni in the middle of nowhere miles away from anything - the nightlife is going to be what you make of it.

Royal Holloway has a fantastic students' union, I wouldn't have said this after last year but over the summer they have refurbished the Union completely and to be honest it's a damn sight nicer than a lot of clubs I've been to, it's a good night out however can get boring if your only nights out are the Union nights week in week out. The great thing about Royal Holloway's nightlife is that you're connected to quite a few places, the closest club that does a student night is in Windsor - Liquid. This is a fantastic night out and it's run for Royal Holloway students essentially, this is probably the cheapest night out you can have at RHUL too, as obviously with being in the London catchment area things tend to be quite expensive.

There are three other bars on campus if you wanted more of a bar scene too rather than a club, along with around 10 pubs in the local area which I love as I'm more of a pub guy.

There are also fortnightly arranged nights out to places in, Reading, Guildford, Kingston and clubs in London such as Ministry of Sound, Fabric etc, these are usually quite good as you pay £10-30 and that gets you there, in to the club (usually queue-jump) and a safe lift back too. Therefore nightlife at RHUL is very much what you make of it, the thing I like about it here is that nightlife isn't thrust upon you, it's very much a choice whether you go out or not.

The people at RHUL are generally southerners, mostly from a 50 mile radius which is interesting, then again you fit into this so you would probably fit in well. I don't know anything about any of the other Uni's you mentioned although I do have a friend at Kent who absolutely loves it.

wixard
04-10-2011, 09:34 PM
olis tryna make you go his uni
come to ireland

Edited by Jordan (Forum Moderator): Please do not pointless post!

GommeInc
04-10-2011, 10:05 PM
I wouldn't go to University of Essex for the Colchester Campus. The Colchester nightlife will only appeal to you if you find throwing up in a gutter, being raped and/or flirted with by Essex chavs appealing. Canterbury on the other hand is lovely. The campus is located on top of a hill overlooking the city and the nightlife is decent. Kent University (Canterbury Campus) has the Venue which is for students located on campus, which is open 7 days a week and has a range of themed nights, while in Canterbury city (1 mile down the hill) has at least 3 night clubs I can think of, and the city itself has all the shops you will ever need and lots of nice restaurants, cafés and parks. It's pretty good in general :)

wixard
04-10-2011, 10:38 PM
i thought this was in spam my bad

Edited by Infectious (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make pointless posts!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!