PDA

View Full Version : How do you complete a CV?

Samantha
19-11-2011, 11:42 AM
I remember making a CV in year 9 but we never got to take it out of school. Anyway, I just want to know what a CV includes, how to set it out etc?

Matthew
19-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Personal details (name, address etc)

Schools etc that you've been to

Grades that you've got (from GCSE up)

Extra qualifications/awards you have (i.e DofE or music grades)

Your interests (what you do in your spare time, what interests you etc)

A bit about yourself (i.e what you're good at, such as leading a team or whatever)

Make it look nice, don't just use a long list in black font, use the 'styles' on Microsoft word to make titles and subheadings stand out. :)

I have my (finished) one on my account at school, I'll screenshot it for you on monday if you want? :)

scottish
19-11-2011, 06:22 PM
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cvs.htm

Recursion
19-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Take GCSE grades off once you've completed something higher than A Level.

You also want any extra experience you have, like work experience etc.

GommeInc
24-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Depends what you intend to do with the CV. If you are applying for a specific job, it is important to construct your CV based on the job you are applying for.

Also, the CV is changing. Try to make it look visually appealing and as succinct as possible. scottish posted above a good link to prospects.ac.uk example CVs and what to include, which is a start, but it is important these days to not woffle on by having a wall of text. Address the skills required, mention any interesting and useful additional skills (optional), your academic record of your last two instituons e.g. GCSE and A-Level, A-Level and Degree/High Education.

If you have Word 2010, it includes some interesting pre-made documents which you can adapt to a CV. Use the Prospects.ac.uk example CVs as inspiration for content.

Samantha
24-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies, so as I'm doing my A levels currently would I just put my GCSE levels on, or would I use my GCSE and AS results or my SAT results lol.

It's for for a specific job as such it's just to get me going for when I do apply for a job.

For the extra qualification bit [@]@Matts[/@] I have a Level 3 grade in mentoring, a Health and Safety award, ALAN test awards and a Key Skills award, should have done ECDL too but hey ho. Any of those class as an extra qualification?

Matthew
24-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies, so as I'm doing my A levels currently would I just put my GCSE levels on, or would I use my GCSE and AS results or my SAT results lol.

It's for for a specific job as such it's just to get me going for when I do apply for a job.

For the extra qualification bit [@]@Matts[/@] I have a Level 3 grade in mentoring, a Health and Safety award, ALAN test awards and a Key Skills award, should have done ECDL too but hey ho. Any of those class as an extra qualification?

Well I'd imagine it would be useful to include all of those things. Just have a section for extra qualifications/achievements, in which you could put those things you've listed, and anything else like DofE etc.

I wouldn't bother with your SATs haha, and I would put the GCSE and AS results on :)

Nereo
30-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Take GCSE grades off once you've completed something higher than A Level.

You also want any extra experience you have, like work experience etc.

I was always told to put any qualification you have received a pass in. Meaning, include your GCSEs too.

scottish
30-11-2011, 04:28 PM
If you have higher levels you don't include GCSEs

idk wht england is i think its A levels + AS levels

so if you get AS levels and A levels you wouldn't put GCSEs

but if GCSEs are your top qualification you would put them

Recursion
30-11-2011, 07:39 PM
If you have higher levels you don't include GCSEs

idk wht england is i think its A levels + AS levels

so if you get AS levels and A levels you wouldn't put GCSEs

but if GCSEs are your top qualification you would put them

AS Level is the first part of A Level, A2 Level being the second part. You put the AS Level and A2 Level together to get the A Level.

Rixion
30-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Don't forget a personal statement saying all your good qualities :)

Richie
01-12-2011, 02:54 PM
A lot of people over do cvs, they ******** on at how brilliant they're and employees can tell it's ********.Any time I do a cv I'm just honest but obviously don't put bad things on there.

Samantha
01-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Don't forget a personal statement saying all your good qualities :)

In my tutor those who weren't going to university didn't need to do one of these, I know it improves chances etc but is it vital?

Recursion
01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
In my tutor those who weren't going to university didn't need to do one of these, I know it improves chances etc but is it vital?

Whether something is vital or not isirrelevant, nowadays you want to do as much as possible to improve your chances.

Samantha
02-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Whether something is vital or not isirrelevant, nowadays you want to do as much as possible to improve your chances.

Yeah but I have no idea how to complete one based on the fact that my tutor told the non university people to leave the classroom because of the UCAS deadline and didn't teach us anything about it.

I know you'd want to improve your chances but I still want an answer to the question.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!