PDA

View Full Version : [+rep] Revision Advice?

Smurfed-
04-12-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm in year 11 I have exams in January and I don't have a clue how to revise. I don't event know what the best way for me to revise is. I'm also struggling to organise my revision. any tips, hints, ideas and resources?

If it helps the exams I have are:
English
Psychology
Maths

buttons
04-12-2011, 05:45 PM
consistent revision and starting early. i find it incredibly useful to rewrite my notes that i've covered during the week at the weekends or holidays, i have a pad for every subject too to keep organized.
considering it's only next month i'd say start by asking yourself questions which you expect to come up during the exams, look at past papers or questions you already covered in class. use notes the first time to complete it then try without notes, if you have an idea of what you're going to write already in your head then it saves time and stress. good luck :)

Shar
04-12-2011, 07:00 PM
consistent revision and starting early. i find it incredibly useful to rewrite my notes that i've covered during the week at the weekends or holidays, i have a pad for every subject too to keep organized.
considering it's only next month i'd say start by asking yourself questions which you expect to come up during the exams, look at past papers or questions you already covered in class. use notes the first time to complete it then try without notes, if you have an idea of what you're going to write already in your head then it saves time and stress. good luck :)
This is pretty much spot on really.

In terms of revision websites I would recommend:
http://www.s-cool.co.uk/
http://www.sparknotes.com/sparknotes/

Don't cram, don't stress and you'll be fine. Good luck! :)

Eoin247
08-12-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm in year 11 I have exams in January and I don't have a clue how to revise. I don't event know what the best way for me to revise is. I'm also struggling to organise my revision. any tips, hints, ideas and resources?

If it helps the exams I have are:
English
Psychology
Maths

This is my way of doing things and it seems to work for me,

First things first make organised notes. I know that for maths it's a bit more difficult to write notes than in most other subjects, but some degree of notes for it may help. The way i organise my notes is questions/ titles on the left hand side of the page, and answers/ other notes on the right. This way i can test myself when it comes closer to the exams.

Do small but consistent study sessions. I used to cram all my stuff and while it worked for a while, it eventually stressed my out too much and caught up with me. Take your study in approximately 1 hour study blocks. Breaks are just as important as the actual study. I myself find that after a break i do much better and more efficient study than if i wasn't to take a break.

Finally try not to procrastinate. I know that when you're young it's hard to look far into the future, but you got to try and keep yourself motivated. Don't put off the work!

That's off the top of my head but if you want i can message you some more in depth tips :)

Good luck in your exams!

Mark
08-12-2011, 09:36 PM

This exactly! I write all my notes on a pad and memorise them, once I memorised them I do loads of questions on each topic. The ones I don't do so well at I revise again, and again until I get it right!

GeorginaxD
08-12-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm in the year below you and am struggling with revising, too. The best method for me is constantly doing practise papers as I get bored reading notes over and over again.

twinart
09-12-2011, 01:13 AM
Don't play games too much. It will affect your results.

GirlNextDoor15
09-12-2011, 01:46 AM
Use mind maps. Buy that book about mind maps by Tony Buzan. It helped me a lot and might help you as well. :) Good luck!

ben
09-12-2011, 07:56 PM
I am a pro procrasturbater and do not revise

Chippiewill
10-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Chill, and by this I don't mean do nothing, I mean don't get stressed about exams. Many a people last year over-thought their exams and spent more time worrying than revising.

As a male you benefit a lot from last minute revision, don't let people tell you it's a bad idea, it's actually extremely effective paired with more long term revision of reducing notes into manageable chunks.

Also with Maths there is no way to revise except practising, you are not helping yourself by just reading through the book. Just sit down and do.

Psychology should actually be your lowest priority (Of course you should still revise for it!) as it is not well regarded at later points whereas English and Maths are crucial and getting decent grades in those unlocks a lot of doors.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!