PDA

View Full Version : Passed my driving test first time :)

Arron
14-12-2011, 11:50 AM
I passed my driving test yesterday for the first time. If money had gone my way in the last 18 months then I would've passed at the beginning of this year, but nevermind!

Anyway, now that the training is over it's now time to get all independant and get driving on my own. But one thing is stopping me, insurance quotes. Why have insurance quotes in the last year increased? This time last year my average quote was £3000. Now it's £5500. I think it's just out of my range at the moment. I mean if I had a quote for £3000 I'd easily pay it off.

Does anyone know any insurance companies that are light with newly qualified young drivers?

Recursion
14-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Insurance sky rockets when you pass your test.

GoldenMerc
14-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Well done, insurance goes up when you pass as Recursion said :P

j0rd
14-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Just try all the insurance compare sites such as comparethemarket.
If they are still pulling up ridiculous quotes, try adding a parent as the main driver and you just as a named driver.

Thats really the advice I can give. I had to put my father as Main driver and me as a named driver, finally got it for £2,600 then!

GeorginaxD
14-12-2011, 03:36 PM
As Best said, try adding one of your parents or a close friend/relative who have a few years no claims. That should bring the price down.

Recursion
14-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Just fyi, when my parents tried doing the above it lowered mine... slightly, but upped theirs iirc.

Arron
14-12-2011, 05:37 PM
My mum lost 26 worth of no claims last year because she wasn't the named driver of her partners car so she lost them.

The only thing I can think of myself is being a second named driver with my sister who has two years no claims but lives at a different address, could this work?

Shar
14-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Well done! Good luck with finding cheap insurance, I'm not sure if it would be as cheap as £3000 though

ben
14-12-2011, 07:05 PM
how many faults you get

tdi
15-12-2011, 12:25 AM
Being down as a named driver if you're actually the main driver is classed as fronting, which is technically fraud and invalidates your insurance in the event of a crash. It's tempting, for cheaper insurance, but not worth it when you have to pay for two cars come the worst. Also, comparison sites aren't the cheapest, by far.

MissAlice
15-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Congratulations :)

Sadly the price does rise as a newly qualified driver, because you are now going to be on the road more, the level of risk has increased. If you are under 21 you get a raw deal, insurance companies assume you will drive more at night when most accidents occur, drive faster and therefore are more likely to be involved in accidents, so until you prove you are a good driver the premiums will be high. If you were in an accident and were responsible for writing off another parties car let’s say £15000 worth of car the insurance company needs to cover its costs. So it penalises us all regardless of how safe and sensible we are. It stinks I know!

I don’t think being a named driver on your sister’s policy will do you any favours, as its only 2 years since she passed her test. But it’s certainly worth a try.

You say your mother lost her no claims, but if she had insurance in the last 2 years she can reclaim them, by simply contacting her last insurance company and asking for proof, she may already have written proof, even a renewal notice dated within that period is valid.

To keep the cost down, buy a car with a small engine (low insurance groups) with no modifications. If you are unemployed that will increase the premium, stupidly insurance companies assume you will be on the road more even though you have little money.

Some insurance companies allow you to build up your no claims as a named driver, rather than being the main policy holder, so worth taking that into account if you have a parent/grandparent with no claims or convictions in the last 5 years. If you intend being the main policy holder you could still have a suitably named driver.

Postcodes matter, if you live in a rural area, insurance companies calculate less traffic therefore less chance of an accident.

It does seem unfair particularly for young male drivers, but until something is done about reducing the 20-25% (it could be higher) of all accidents and convictions by those under the age of 21, it won’t get much better if at all.

Good luck with your insurance quotes, get plenty of them, and stay safe :)

danzooo
15-12-2011, 01:24 AM
You'd be happy to pay £3k you mad bro? In all honesty, no insurance company is gonna be nice to someone who's just passed their test, the only thing I can suggest is just to keep looking and looking and refer to this thread I wrote (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=665461) for insurance tips.

I'd try Tesco if I were you, out of all the places I tried, they gave me the cheapest quote - and that was with me on my own policy!

Arron
15-12-2011, 12:23 PM
I got five minors.

Thanks for your feedback. Tesco Car Insurance won't quote me. Cheapest quote so far is still £5,100

danzooo
16-12-2011, 01:15 AM
I got five minors.

Thanks for your feedback. Tesco Car Insurance won't quote me. Cheapest quote so far is still £5,100

Have you tried Admiral Multicar?

JerseySafety
16-12-2011, 04:35 AM
well done I passed it first time to :) my friend passed his first stage after 2 attempts, now he's on his 4th attempt of his second stage/restricted LOL

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!