PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here had an exam re-mark?

Jssy
16-01-2012, 06:59 PM
I got put in a new maths class today. Only 12 of us out of 200 in our year didn't pass gcse maths so somehow it's put our school down in the league tables for being worse than last year, it's just 12 of us in a class now but anyway 2 of us got a form to sign - me and my friend lizzie. We were both 2 marks off a c so our school are paying for us to get a remark and we had to sign a form saying we agreed that our mark could stay the same, go up, or down. Has anyone here had a remark with edexcel and was it succesful? To get a C it was 23% which was 47 marks out of 200. Bearing in mind I sat the higher paper. I agreed to be remarked anyway because school said they'll pay for all 12 of our resits so even if i do go down/stay the same I have the resit. Just wondering.

Recursion
17-01-2012, 08:58 PM
I had a paper remarked once, it went up by 1 mark. Sounds petty, but actually, that 1 mark could mean the difference between a grade for some.

I didn't think the grades could be lowered though, maybe I'm wrong.

Chippiewill
17-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Grades can be lowered, typically there's no point going for remark unless you're within 5 marks of boundary. Recently a whole load of my friends got their remark results for GCSEs and almost all of them went up by ~6 marks, quite a few of them by a grade.

Matthew
17-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Thankfully I've never been in the situation to need a remark, but some of my friends have. A few of them gained 1 or 2 marks, and that was the difference between an A or an A* for them so its worth giving it a go I suppose!

Jssy
17-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Hmm thanks it seems like kind of a mixed response. I dunno whether I'd do it if it was ME paying for it so luckily it's not haha

Nikki
17-01-2012, 11:11 PM
I had my GCSE maths paper remarked, as I was 4 marks off an A* the school paid for it so didn't mind. Managed to loose 2 marks, didn't bother me asIwas luckily still in the A gradeboundaries.

hiyahon
20-01-2012, 02:25 PM
for my as english literature exam remark i gained 16 extra marks. exam boards in this country are such a mess

Recursion
20-01-2012, 03:00 PM
for my as english literature exam remark i gained 16 extra marks. exam boards in this country are such a mess

I don't think it's fair to say that, when it comes to a subject like English at least anyway, a lot of the marking in Humanities based subjects is down to the person marking the paper... it becomes a bit easier in Maths/Science based subjects because the answer is either right or wrong.

Samantha
21-01-2012, 03:37 PM
I've never had a remark and I got a D in my AS English Language (Board WJEC).

Anyway, what happened I was 5 marks off a C and our English teacher said if you are 4 marks or less then you can pay for a remark, my English teacher wanted me to resit (I wasn't going to anyway because a D was my target) and so I didn't get it remarked or resit. However, for my AS result I got a C, so I'm saying some people it may help, others it may not.

Teabags
21-01-2012, 03:59 PM
I had a re-mark, but sometimes, it just doesn't make much of a difference.
But this year had a whole year AS Law re-marked and everyone went up at least two grades!

hiyahon
21-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't think it's fair to say that, when it comes to a subject like English at least anyway, a lot of the marking in Humanities based subjects is down to the person marking the paper... it becomes a bit easier in Maths/Science based subjects because the answer is either right or wrong.
but they are tho. subjects like english lit are so subjective, you are correct. but I got an E in my exam despite getting straight As in coursework and in mocks long before the exam. people don't just go from an A to an E. this was actually a nationwide problem that AQA refused to resolve because they are reluctant to make people go up a grade and admit that they are in the wrong. in the end I resat and got an A so I'm over it, just annoyed.

IMO A PLOY TO MAKE ME HAVE TO PAY TO RESIT

Recursion
21-01-2012, 06:41 PM
but they are tho. subjects like english lit are so subjective, you are correct. but I got an E in my exam despite getting straight As in coursework and in mocks long before the exam. people don't just go from an A to an E. this was actually a nationwide problem that AQA refused to resolve because they are reluctant to make people go up a grade and admit that they are in the wrong. in the end I resat and got an A so I'm over it, just annoyed.

IMO A PLOY TO MAKE ME HAVE TO PAY TO RESIT

I also disagree here, I took English Lit @ A Level and was getting As in coursework and C/Ds in the exams (which I know isn't my strongest point), again, it's subjective.

But yeye, paying to resit is a PITA ;l

Jssy
22-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Do you know how long it takes edexcel to remark?

Futz
22-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Can you not just resit the paper?

Jssy
22-01-2012, 04:59 PM
school have paid for remark and if it comes back as a d still they're paying for me to resit in 5 weeks time

Jssy
07-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Forgot to tell you all, Remark came back, I was originally 2 marks off but now I'm 1 mark off a c haha, resit in4 weeksthough

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!