PDA

View Full Version : Issue with my Car.

Arron
30-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Hi guys,

I got my first car last week. Great drive, but I discovered a problem. You see I'm not really good with cars so before you lot start giving my grief, please understand that my knowledge is slim.

I bought a Peugeot 106 from a private seller (mobile mechanic) last week, it looked good, drove well, mileage was short and it was the ideal car for me. I didn't check the oil, and as it turns out, I had no oil in my engine. I think this explains why I spent £50 in petrol in my first week of having the car. Yesterday I put oil in so happy days. BUT, a family friend said that because I have been driving with no oil in my car, my car will begin to die, in basic terms, in the next few days. Is this true? How serious is it that I've been driving with no oil?

Thanks for reading and please reply if you can help me.

Tinker
30-01-2012, 09:21 PM
I asked a person on habbo who has worked with cars and she says if you had no oil at all your car would probably die on you and you'dbe left sitting on the side of the road and she also said that the engine would definitely have made obvious noises with the (idk wat she said something starting with a P) scratching against the cylinders and that you probably had some fuel left. She also advices you make sure you have oil in or you might have to go for a new engine refit:Owould probably cost alot more than refueling your car (:

Hope this helps

xo

Robbie
30-01-2012, 09:48 PM
I think this explains why I spent £50 in petrol in my first week of having the car.

welcome to the world of driving

Metric1
30-01-2012, 10:14 PM
If your car had no oil in it, it would have died by now. There must have been enough oil to lubricate it enough to keep it from completely seizing. Sure it's not good for your engine but if it was going to die it would have died by now or at least the CEL would have came on and it would have started throwing codes.

I have a 05' Accord and something happened to the PCV valve and the engine basically started burning all the oil. I was driving on the highway and the CEL cane on, thought nothing of it - started flashing. Pulled over immediately and shut the car off and checked the oil. dipstick was bone dry so I didn't even attempt to restart it. I had it hauled to Honda and they did an oil change on it, no major damage because I turned it off.

Make sure you do an oil change and check your oil regularly because there must be something up with it for there to be no oil left in it. If it does die on you, DON'T RESTART IT!!!!!!!

Swearwolf
31-01-2012, 12:25 PM
nah, if it didnt seize then, it wont now. there's always oil in there even if dipstick says nothing but just keep an eye on it in future and it'll be fine

J0SH
31-01-2012, 03:14 PM
I know what's wrong with it, it's a Peugeot 106.

No but on a more serious note, the car can't function properly so yeah, just put oil in.

danzooo
31-01-2012, 03:54 PM
If it was going to die from no oil, it would've done by now. Even if there's no oil according to the dipstick there's still alot running through the car's system. It's lucky you spotted it now however as if you'd kept going without any oil, the whole engine will have seized.

tdi
31-01-2012, 07:19 PM
As mentioned the car would have died if it had NO oil in, however running the car for a week with a very low oil level won't have helped the engine, you might have damaged your bottom end - you'll hear it when you rev the engine, and thus you may need a bottom end rebuild.

Arron
02-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Had no problems with the car, yet.

Swearwolf
03-02-2012, 01:19 PM
chances are you got lucky then. keep an eye on all the fluids and stay one step ahead ;)

FiftyCal
06-02-2012, 02:54 AM
If you heard a really loud knocking sound then that means you really screwed up the engine. If it doesnt show oil on the dipstick then it might possible just be a quart low which isn't bad, but don't keep driving it like that.

Arron
06-02-2012, 05:59 PM
I can hear a rattling coming from underneath my car, it's more on the drivers side rather than the passenger's side. I'm getting weary now :/

tdi
06-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Does it change depending on speed/revs? Does it sound like an engine noise or something coming from the suspension etc?

Arron
08-02-2012, 09:30 AM
It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it happens when I go from 2nd to 3rd gear. I hear thatscreechingnoise coming from the engine/tyre (can't quite locate where the noise is coming from). My friend said it's either the cambelt or the bolts of the wheels?

tdi
08-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Screeching noise? Just when you change gear? If it's when you take your foot off the clutch, it will be the clutch. Fanbelt squeak can be intermittent but it's hard to tell without hearing it.

FiftyCal
09-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Well if you hear squeeling from the engine then it could be your belts are loose unless you're chirping the tires from 2nd the 3rd gear.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!