PDA

View Full Version : What is the best job you've ever had?

jasey
07-02-2012, 04:30 AM
Right now I am a student at university in Paris but I have managed to find a job that combines my two premier loves - fashion and technology. I work for a magazine called << Clin d'œil >> which is actually a fashion and women's magazine all the way across the Atlantic in Canada. It serves the French province of Québec so my linguistical skills come in handy. My specific job is to transpose the written version of the magazine in to a version available for purchase on the iPad 2 App Store. I work with a team of five other people in France and Canada to make the magazine come to life on a digital screen and it's great experience. I don't make the most amount of money but it is just the right amount of workload for a university student and I enjoy doing it very much. My best experience at work has to have been when I was asked for my opinion on the actual cover photo of a certain issue of the magazine. I was so flattered that the editor thought I was capable of giving thought on something as important as that. I also like promoting the French language in other countries across the world, which in this case is Canada.

Anyways, that's my blurb about how much I love my current job - what was your best job ever and what did or do you like about it?

Presentiment
13-02-2012, 07:05 PM
That sounds like an amazing job, congratulations. An amazing opportunity and experience to have your input taken in to consideration on the cover, and to have your opinion valued by the editor, well done.

The best job I've had is probably the one that I've recently come out of. I was employed with an advertising agency as a content writer. Writing ads, synopses, occasionally reviews and any general content needed for a variety of media forms and products. Writing is a huge passion of mine, and I got to experience doing something I love, whilst making a living from it. Unfortunately the company went bust last month, which is a real shame.

Currently freelance writing here and there. I have a good reference now, and some credible experience, so I'm hoping to get in to a similar line of work. I hope I can!

Shar
13-02-2012, 07:11 PM
[@]@mdna[/@] wow that sounds really interesting! It's great to have a job you really enjoy :)

The best and only job I've ever had (not including my 2 day stint as a temp) is the one I'm at atm :)

FlyingJesus
13-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Community manager for Habbox

Edited by Shar (Forum Moderator): Please don't post pointlessly, thanks!

beth
13-02-2012, 07:20 PM
i worked at mcdonalds and it was hard work but it was so funny.

dirrty
13-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Community manager for Habbox
jealous

i've only really done two things - one was a data entrant and the other was being an intern at a publishing company, so probably the latter lol.

jasey
13-02-2012, 07:40 PM
That sounds like an amazing job, congratulations. An amazing opportunity and experience to have your input taken in to consideration on the cover, and to have your opinion valued by the editor, well done.

The best job I've had is probably the one that I've recently come out of. I was employed with an advertising agency as a content writer. Writing ads, synopses, occasionally reviews and any general content needed for a variety of media forms and products. Writing is a huge passion of mine, and I got to experience doing something I love, whilst making a living from it. Unfortunately the company went bust last month, which is a real shame.

Currently freelance writing here and there. I have a good reference now, and some credible experience, so I'm hoping to get in to a similar line of work. I hope I can!

That sounds like a really lovely job! Writing has always interested me as well and I'm glad to know that there are people who are making a living off of it. It sounds like a very solid reference and I am sure you will get a position like the one you had very soon. Freelance is very cool as well, though!

[@]@mdna[/@] wow that sounds really interesting! It's great to have a job you really enjoy :)

The best and only job I've ever had (not including my 2 day stint as a temp) is the one I'm at atm :)

What do you do, Shar?

i worked at mcdonalds and it was hard work but it was so funny.

Did you ever get really crazy customers?

jealous

i've only really done two things - one was a data entrant and the other was being an intern at a publishing company, so probably the latter lol.

A publishing company! That's fabulous! I bet you got a lot of experience.

Technologic
13-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Where I work now is horrendous, retail is awful but the people I work with are absolutely hilarious.

Amberr
13-02-2012, 07:53 PM
primark all the way, i just love arguing with the polish.

jasey
13-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Where I work now is horrendous, retail is awful but the people I work with are absolutely hilarious.

Retail is awful! I always loathed coworkers as well. I wish I had funny ones.

Neversoft
13-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Can't even answer this question omg. I've only ever had one job and that was working in Sainbury's which I hated because people always used to ask me stuff and I never knew the answer so I just lied to them and then I felt bad, so I just replenished stock and worked in the back warehouse like area as much as I could which was boring. Then I quit because I missed having the summer off and decided I can't really work anywhere where I have to talk to people, then I did nothing for ages, now I'm in uni. Probably won't get an actual job for another three years or something lol. I fail at work.

Presentiment
13-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Can't even answer this question omg. I've only ever had one job and that was working in Sainbury's which I hated because people always used to ask me stuff and I never knew the answer so I just lied to them and then I felt bad

So this is the reason I was sent to the domestic and cleaning products isle for cereal...:rolleyes:

Neversoft
13-02-2012, 09:00 PM
So this is the reason I was sent to the domestic and cleaning products isle for cereal...:rolleyes:

Usually if people asked me where things were I'd be like OH I'M NOT REALLY SURE SORRY LET ME GET SOMEONE ELSE FOR YOU but one time I said that to an old man and he expressed hate towards me. Said how kids these days knew nothing and that I was useless and stuff. Although keep in mind this was about five years ago so he was probably right. But usually I lied if people asked me if stuff was in stock. Truly I didn't know and didn't want to go and check because it would take me forever to find out, so I'd just say something like "no but we're getting more stock in on thursday." I'm sorry to everyone I inconvenienced! I was just a shy and clueless child. :'(

jasey
13-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Usually if people asked me where things were I'd be like OH I'M NOT REALLY SURE SORRY LET ME GET SOMEONE ELSE FOR YOU but one time I said that to an old man and he expressed hate towards me. Said how kids these days knew nothing and that I was useless and stuff. Although keep in mind this was about five years ago so he was probably right. But usually I lied if people asked me if stuff was in stock. Truly I didn't know and didn't want to go and check because it would take me forever to find out, so I'd just say something like "no but we're getting more stock in on thursday." I'm sorry to everyone I inconvenienced! I was just a shy and clueless child. :'(

Hoho! Pure brilliance. You are the best.

RandomManJay
13-02-2012, 10:09 PM
I've only really had two jobs and the one I have now is far better than my first. My first (which was in a retail department store) wasn't really bad depending on which store you worked at, as I worked at two transferring back and forth while at university.

There isn't really a word to describe how much I hated the store I initially began working at. I truly felt miserable there. I was quite a model employee, but that was never good enough. I was always the one to make sacrifices while they never attempted to make life easy for me, and on so many occasions I can't even remember, they changed my shift without telling me and expected me to know/find out about it myself (although this contradicted what the handbook said, saying they had to inform me of any changes to my shift times a full three working days prior to my most recent shift). The second store was fun and I was treated with much more respect and regard for my situation during holiday times, with even the manager phoning around seeing if they could book a holiday for me during an embargo, and eventually changing my shifts around so I could go home for Christmas, but in the end the job itself really didn't live up to what I wanted in a career, so after five years with the company, I left :).

The job I have now though is a thousand times better working mostly with business clients ensuring we get along and comply with each others requirements in both a legal stand point and company policy. I'm also working in the commercial department and in office based safety. I'm kind of fulfilling roles in every department in the office, giving me plenty to do since I start work at 07:00 and finish at 15:30 and if you've got nothing on it doesn't half drag.

The only problem I have with it at the moment is that I have to travel for an hour there and back, and while starting at 07:00 it means that I effectively go to sleep and wake up while its still night time xD!

Casanova
13-02-2012, 11:35 PM
I can't say I've had a job I truly love?

My first one was air conditioning engineering - looooong hours, working away a lot, hard labour and intensive duties. being stuck in a ceiling all day when you're allergic to ceiling tiles is one of the worst things EVER. money was fantastic though, 16 and I was being paid £300pw!

second was hairdressing - long hours, ****e pay, awful customers but i was extremely talented and enjoy the hairdressing part of it.

third is my current job, senior sales consultant (now) - easy work, intensive targets, expectations etc but i seem to be really good at it (35th best in a company with like 4k staff...) but my major issue for me is it's not what i wanted to do, i get frustrated with people not doing as i want (i'm awful controlling!) or to my standards and generally i get a lot of hassle for pay that doesn't quite match (although for 21 i get paid quite well).

Rozi
14-02-2012, 01:16 PM
never had a job (A)

I do babysit though which I do enjoy! The kid I look after is really well tempered and 7 quid an hour is pretty fab :) It gives me enough money to enjoy myself and to save up a bit which is fab :D

I've also done some work experience in a primary school which was d.u.l.l
and done a bit of events management work experience where I was just giving out passes and stuff to people, but it was quite interesting seeing behind the scenes and that

Caution
14-02-2012, 02:08 PM
I don't have a job and I've never really had one. I worked in a Chinese one night, washing dishes but the owner was a total cow so I never went back. I did work experience in a primary school but the hours I did meant they were doing drama for a lot of it and I seriously couldn't help them as I'm not into that sort of thing. I would have enjoyed it if they were doing written work.

iLogan
14-02-2012, 08:31 PM
internship with Sky News - loved it

Blinger
15-02-2012, 02:23 AM
Honestly, baking. ******* love it!
The fact that people come in to specifically by the bread/cakes/biscuits/tarts whatever that I baked gives me a tiny tingling feeling! And the ability to make things like this (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=702879&p=7408908#post7408908) is simply awesome.

Sloths
15-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Only had the one I'm in now, office assistant at a medical centre. It's alright being really easy and fine pay, would be great if I had enough free time to work at the kiwi lab place down the road as they pay heaaaaps but I'll just have to stick to filing :P

Vause
15-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I worked 2 christmas's at HMV as a temp. It was okay, but last xmas they were pretty nasty, my girlfriend has worked there for 6 years and it just didn't work out with me working there too. I also worked in an office before, that was pretty cool too.

Chawk
16-02-2012, 11:37 AM
I worked at a theme park! (= It was so funny, I loved the people the most, I guess you could say a theme park full of young people trig to have fun whilst earning money!? It was brilliant the uniforms weren't to bad either. It was a good day out as you got 5 free wristbands. =) So I took my friends along for a day and used my power for free food drink and prizes =) hahaha.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!