PDA

View Full Version : Revision

Shar
22-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Hey :)

In the summer I will be taking 5 exams and I have began preparing for them, however, I have been finding it really difficult to manage my time lately and fit in every subject in my busy schedule and give them equal focus. How do you deal with it and manage your time? +rep to good suggestions :)

Chippiewill
22-02-2012, 06:08 PM
I try to use a focus on a single subject on the weekends, until I have a big block of time (e.g. Easter, half-term) when I organise notes for essay subjects. Then I just plough through practise questions from Easter onwards.

I tend not to do any revision on weekdays so that homework etc. isn't affected.

Mathew
22-02-2012, 06:10 PM
I envy your early revision strategy! In the past, I've always started the hardcore revision at around Easter time! :P Although that said, I do quite a lot of past questions and notes all year... omg it's only about 12 weeks away... that's only 60 school days!! :O!

Shar
22-02-2012, 06:12 PM
I try to use a focus on a single subject on the weekends, until I have a big block of time (e.g. Easter, half-term) when I organise notes for essay subjects. Then I just plough through practise questions from Easter onwards.
That's what I'm trying to do but I'm finding it impossible to find the time to write notes.

I envy your early revision strategy! I can't bring myself to get completely into it until around Easter time! :P Although that said, I do quite a lot of past questions and notes all year... omg it's only about 12 weeks away... that's only 60 school days!! :O!
Its scary to even think about it. It probably would help me if I knew what I'm going to do in September!

Mathew
22-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Its scary to even think about it. It probably would help me if I knew what I'm going to do in September!

What are you wanting to do? :D I'm soooo scared for results day - both the one in March and August! :(

Chippiewill
22-02-2012, 06:22 PM
That's what I'm trying to do but I'm finding it impossible to find the time to write notes.
If you don't have time to do notes then practise.

Shar
22-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Results day is on Thursday 8th March this year..so early!

PaulMacC
22-02-2012, 06:24 PM
This is the easiest way to learn.http://ankisrs.net/

Shar
22-02-2012, 06:25 PM
If you don't have time to do notes then practise.
I find it really difficult to take in information without doing notes which is why I'm getting quite frustrated about it.

LoveToStack
22-02-2012, 10:25 PM
If concentration is the issue then go to a public library (school libraries are noisy in my experience). Get up early, and go there for the day. Take scheduled breaks (go for one mid-morning and one at lunch, just like at school). Take only what you need to study and revise: you don't need your iPod and you don't need your phone. Ideally the harder it is for you to get to the library, the better because that way you can't be tempted to leave (a long journey there means you have to make your time there worth while).

As for scheduling, I'd go for 2 subjects per session. One in the morning then switch after lunch. If you get into a groove in the morning and you're really absorbing information then just carry on with the same subject in the afternoon. If you get bored then switch at lunch time. Obviously on the day before an exam it's best to just study for that particular subject unless you feel 100% confident. For my exams I got to the library by 09:00 then tried to leave around 17:00. It seems like a long shift but the work has to get done eventually so more time spent now means less time spent later.

Also it's best to take a friend. Someone with just as high a work ethic as you or even higher. Seeing them working will motivate you and you'll bounce off of eachother. They'll also be able to discuss the topic at hand with you if you get stuck (if they're also doing it). Don't take anyone lazy or who is liable to distract you. Take someone who you know wants to get work done.

If you start early and do all of that in the weeks leading up to your exams I guarantee you that you'll perform to the best of your ability. At the very least, whatever you get you will know that you put in the maximum amount of effort and couldn't have done more.

Catchy
23-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Set yourself time limits say right I'm gonna do an hour then have a half an hour break! Then do another hour etc etc. I used to reward myself by listening to music for half an hour because I wouldn't study with it on.

Also a big thing that helped me whilst revising is I made post stick notes and literally COVERED my wall with them because I had sooooooo much to learn for psychology so I shoved everything I needed to know on sticky notes and stuck them all around my room. It REALLY helped me and maybe it will you too I'd give it a shot if I was you! :) Even if your room does end up looking like a stalkers bedroom

Lee
23-02-2012, 01:01 PM
This is the easiest way to learn.http://ankisrs.net/

Absolutely agree :D

Eric
23-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Decide on how long you need to revise. Whether it is 2 hours a day or 40 minutes a day. Take a short break after revision, then continue again.

Try organizing your time using a time log. Make a time log for a week and at the end of the week, look at the time log and see what time did you do your work

effectively. Some people can concentrate better in the morning. Using a time log is pretty good when you're revising for an exam.

Furthermore, you need to have motivation when you're revising. Such as rewarding yourself by treating yourself to a good meal or something.

Just telling you the way i manage my time :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!