PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Flying.

Cerys
18-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Hi,
Ever since I was around four, I used the plane quite often. In my short lifetime, I've made around 23 trips, (46 if you include the way back journey ;) )

Since about three years ago I developed a fear of flying, which has gradually got worse. Now whenever I board a plane, I cry for the entire duration of the trip.

I always imagine that whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. I know it probably sounds silly to some of you, but I don't know how to stop my fear.
I usually imagine the wings falling off, engines failing, birds entering the engines causing them to 'explode', terrorist attacks and so on.
I also have a little bit of claustrophobia which really doesn't help!

My next flight is in a month, and I am really nervous about it. I get mini panic attacks just thinking about my flight.
So, does anyone else have this fear? And do you have any tips on how to stop fearing flying?

+rep

Chris
18-03-2012, 11:30 AM
I love flying! You've just got to remember that it is very unlikely that anything like that will happen to the plane.

xxMATTGxx
18-03-2012, 11:47 AM
This is probably an expensive solution but there is "Fear of Flying" courses available by airlines such as Virgin Atlantic. Although it may not be the option for you due to the costs and things but flying is a great way to travel. It's very unlikely anything will go wrong these days, it's not like years ago when flying was new and they didn't know everything. It has advanced so much and safety is such a high priority in the airline industry - so the chance of anything happening has reduced drastically.

I was scared on my first ever time on a plane but now it's just like any other method of travel. I still get a rush of adrenaline when you are taking off :P

e5
18-03-2012, 12:10 PM
A good fact to know that it is safer in a plane that it is in a car!

Cerys
18-03-2012, 12:52 PM
I love flying! You've just got to remember that it is very unlikely that anything like that will happen to the plane.

I suppose it's mainly the thought of if something does happen you're almost certain to die, and you know you'd only have a few seconds left to live, thanks!

This is probably an expensive solution but there is "Fear of Flying" courses available by airlines such as Virgin Atlantic. Although it may not be the option for you due to the costs and things but flying is a great way to travel. It's very unlikely anything will go wrong these days, it's not like years ago when flying was new and they didn't know everything. It has advanced so much and safety is such a high priority in the airline industry - so the chance of anything happening has reduced drastically.

I was scared on my first ever time on a plane but now it's just like any other method of travel. I still get a rush of adrenaline when you are taking off :P

Thanks, Matt! I remember the first time I flew, it was also the captains first time of flying a plane with passengers in it. Everyone clapped for him at the end xD I guess if even pilots who have just started know how to fly the plane correctly and avoid accidents, it'll be even less likely for experienced pilots to fail.

A good fact to know that it is safer in a plane that it is in a car!

I think that in a car you feel like you have more control of what will happen, so it makes the impression that you're safer? Like if your car breaks down, you can just phone for help. If a plane breaks down, you'll start falling etc.

iBlueBox
18-03-2012, 12:59 PM
I love flying.

I used to always watch Aeroplane investigations before have to fly lmao

Cerys
18-03-2012, 01:03 PM
I love flying.

I used to always watch Aeroplane investigations before have to fly lmao

Ooft, I always watch Air Crash Investigation. It confuses me of how scared I am of planes, yet I enjoy watching the things which will make me even more scared. xD

(I would +rep you but I can't till the 21st march xD)

Eric
18-03-2012, 01:30 PM
I hate flying not because i'm scared of it, flying is very boring lol. Just close your eyes, listen to some beautiful symphony or your favourite music, and imagine something beautiful. Pretend you're on a bus or something.

Gina
18-03-2012, 01:35 PM
I dont get scared
I just puke and then fall asleep
I dont really worry about it lmao if something does happy its very unlikely and probably wont lol

Cerys
18-03-2012, 01:36 PM
I hate flying not because i'm scared of it, flying is very boring lol. Just close your eyes, listen to some beautiful symphony or your favourite music, and imagine something beautiful. Pretend you're on a bus or something.

I will probably put my music on and close the window. Might ask my mum if I can have sleeping tablets or something.

Zuth
18-03-2012, 01:44 PM
I love flying, done it so many times, first time I went on one when I was like 1 or something so I've been bought up flying. You just gotta remember that statistics show your safer in a plane that a car!

Jurv
18-03-2012, 01:45 PM
i've not been on an aeroplane since i was little so i'm sure what i'll be like now.

i've got a fear of heights tho so i probs won't like it. good luck flying anyway!

Lee
18-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Flying is great, and if you can't fork out for a course as xxMATTGxx said then the best thing for you to do is try to occupy your mind with something else for now - don't google plane incedents etc as this will just make you more nervous! Trust me the chances of your plane having any problem is low - they chance of that problem being serious is extremely low :)

Try not to get too worked up you'll be fine.

Seikou
18-03-2012, 04:15 PM
i hate flying, i always think the planes going to crash, explode or something and then i start overreacting and stuff, pretty scared of it..

Jordan
18-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Many have mentioned what I would say already, There are more problems on the road than actually in the air. I'm not sure how you can keep your mind off flying because you will be actually flying but maybe put together some of your favourite songs and listen to them as you are taking off which is more likely the obvious part of the trip, when it's levelled in the air it is quite a smooth journey. When I flew for my first time I cried too but I'm fine with it now and I'm always excited when we go abroad :)

Cerys
18-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Can't multi-quote on my phone, but thanks for all your responses!

Zuth: They may be statistically safer, but I suppose if something goes badly wrong, you're most likely not going to survive, whereas in a car you have a chance.

Jurv: Close the window when you next fly, or sit in the aisle seat ;D

Alpha: I probably won't be able to afford the courses, and from what I've learnt about the virgin flight courses, they don't look like they'll be much help for me D;

Jordan: I will try make a playlist for my ipod! I've flown many many many times, but only in the past few years I have developed a fear. Some people tell me its because I'm getting older and understanding how precious life is? Idk.

Hollie
18-03-2012, 11:21 PM
When I first went on a plane I really liked it but I've kinda get more scared each time I go on one. I just really hate taking off, once I'm up there I'm completely fine

You've just gotta think that you're much more likely to be in a car crash than a plane crash. Also, I kinda find not sitting next in the isle not as bad cause I don't feel as trapped? I guess as I would if I was sitting next the to window or in the middle of other people

Cerys
18-03-2012, 11:31 PM
When I first went on a plane I really liked it but I've kinda get more scared each time I go on one. I just really hate taking off, once I'm up there I'm completely fine

You've just gotta think that you're much more likely to be in a car crash than a plane crash. Also, I kinda find not sitting next in the isle not as bad cause I don't feel as trapped? I guess as I would if I was sitting next the to window or in the middle of other people

I hate takeoffs - once you've taken off there's no escape. XD

I feel the same as you. I like sitting in the aisle because you can get up quickly if you need to etc.

dirrty
19-03-2012, 12:38 AM
i really hate heights and get vertigo when i'm on an incredibly tall building/bridge, but love flying and having the window seat (and looking out the window). full of contradictions right here.

Ekelektra
19-03-2012, 03:49 AM
I hate flying although I haven't done it for a couple of years now, I guess I hate it because I don't like heights and I get motion sick.
I also like watching those air crash investigation shows and you'd think you'd get more terrified from flying by watching them, but what I like is that they say what went wrong and how all planes have been modified now to minimise the chance of that happening again.

Shockwave.2CC
19-03-2012, 03:54 AM
What I would do is just think of all the exciting things your going to do when you are there. Don't even think of you being on a plane.

Watch movies why on your journey to pass the time and take your mind off of everything

With Claustiphobia, the best way I deal with that because I have it aswell is to have a window seat because it makes you feel like you have a lot of space around you (But the down side for you to do this is that you will have to know you are flying and u cant really take your mide off of it)

Hope I helped abit :)

Jazz
19-03-2012, 03:19 PM
I used to be in the air cadets and I was scared of heights/flying to the max. When I first went up I took:
1) a friend
2) a sick bag
3) something to focus on (a book at the time, and not anything like a phone it can mess with signals)

once you have gone up once, you start to get used to the feeling of being up in the air and start to forget the worries and enjoy!

Cerys
19-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Jazz j/w did you actually read the first post? Lol. Its actually being in the air that's the problem. I'm scared it'll break etc.

I like heights anyways.

Jazz
19-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Jazz j/w did you actually read the first post? Lol. Its actually being in the air that's the problem. I'm scared it'll break etc.

I like heights anyways.

yeah i did, and the answer would still be the same.. aeroplanes are good these days, there not just going to break.

Cerys
19-03-2012, 04:04 PM
yeah i did, and the answer would still be the same.. aeroplanes are good these days, there not just going to break.

It wouldn't be the same answer. You said that once I get up there I'll be fine and enjoy it, whereas in my first post I said I don't like being up there and am in tears the duration of the trip. So there's no way I'd enjoy it xD

Thanks

Jazz
19-03-2012, 04:10 PM
It wouldn't be the same answer. You said that once I get up there I'll be fine and enjoy it, whereas in my first post I said I don't like being up there and am in tears the duration of the trip. So there's no way I'd enjoy it xD

Thanks

if you read what i said properly then maybe it would be:

you start to get used to the feeling of being up in the air and start to forget the worries and enjoy!

getting over fear takes time, but if you keep it in then you become worse what im saying if you do it once in time it will start to improve.

'Thanks'

geo
19-03-2012, 05:31 PM
I kinda agree with Jazz. You're just going to have to get used to it.
Take a book or something that'll keep you occupied for the journey (but doesn't interfere with signals!).
Also, I'd try not sleeping for a long while until you're on the plane, then try and sleep then. You're not expected to just get over your fear. Hope the flight isn't too bad for you!

Cerys
20-03-2012, 10:14 PM
What I would do is just think of all the exciting things your going to do when you are there. Don't even think of you being on a plane.

Watch movies why on your journey to pass the time and take your mind off of everything

With Claustiphobia, the best way I deal with that because I have it aswell is to have a window seat because it makes you feel like you have a lot of space around you (But the down side for you to do this is that you will have to know you are flying and u cant really take your mide off of it)

Hope I helped abit :)

Whoops, forgot to reply to you xD
Thanks for this, its going to help a lot :) I will get my mum to buy me a mini portable DVD player so I can watch movies on board ;D

Shockwave.2CC
20-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Whoops, forgot to reply to you xD
Thanks for this, its going to help a lot :) I will get my mum to buy me a mini portable DVD player so I can watch movies on board ;D

Most planes have TVs in the head rests now, put I would take a portable dvd player and some DVD just incase the plane your on has no tv in back of seats or nothing on that you like

cocaine
20-03-2012, 10:41 PM
the pilot won't tell you this, but don't worry if the plane is missing a felange, they're not entirely essential to keeping the plane airborne. most people also prefer watching a film/listening to music etc but i find just looking out of the window will be enough to distract me!

Cerys
20-03-2012, 10:48 PM
the pilot won't tell you this, but don't worry if the plane is missing a felange, they're not entirely essential to keeping the plane airborne. most people also prefer watching a film/listening to music etc but i find just looking out of the window will be enough to distract me!

Ahaa gotta love friends!!

Shockwave: the only flights I've been on with tvs in the seats are the long ones on the way to America, so I don't think my plane will have it D;

CrazyLemurs
20-03-2012, 10:50 PM
I fly a lot too, only an hour or so each time but still, it's a flight xD. I just put Beyoncé in my headphones and listen to that. If you can't think about crashing, you won't think about it.

However, planes usually are incredibly safe and secure. The worst parts are the ends: start and stop. Otherwise, little goes wrong.

And if you do get involved in an accident, you probably will have a short, sharp death. No prolonged agony if that helps xD.

I get scared sometimes, but if you're flying with a relative or friend just let them know that you're cautious and they should help. Or the airport staff before the flight and air host/esses during it, they're paid to give you a smooth journey.

I'm currently on my iPhone if you are seeing this message! I cannot participate in spam wars xx

Cerys
20-03-2012, 10:58 PM
I fly a lot too, only an hour or so each time but still, it's a flight xD. I just put Beyoncé in my headphones and listen to that. If you can't think about crashing, you won't think about it.

However, planes usually are incredibly safe and secure. The worst parts are the ends: start and stop. Otherwise, little goes wrong.

And if you do get involved in an accident, you probably will have a short, sharp death. No prolonged agony if that helps xD.

I get scared sometimes, but if you're flying with a relative or friend just let them know that you're cautious and they should help. Or the airport staff before the flight and air host/esses during it, they're paid to give you a smooth journey.

I'm currently on my iPhone if you are seeing this message! I cannot participate in spam wars xx

Hi alexis. I was just sick :'(

I don't think its the thought of being in pain, I think its more of the plane dropping, and me knowing I'm gonna die, so I just have to wait for death. Idk.

This helps lots, ty x

GommeInc
21-03-2012, 01:25 AM
i really hate heights and get vertigo when i'm on an incredibly tall building/bridge, but love flying and having the window seat (and looking out the window). full of contradictions right here.
I'm the same. I hate heights when looking over the side of a building or through a bridge, but I feel very secure in a plane but that's because it's an enclosed space so you won't necessarily fall over the edge or out of the plane, like the sensation you get with a cliff or building.

Once you're up in the air you realise it's quite safe flying. As a first time flyer a few years ago, I had the build up of fear but the stress before hand of getting through security and t the gate removed any doubt, and once on the plane and up in the air you realise it was a huge over-reaction. I get the same feelings each time - it's very irrational and odd :P

Kieran
27-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Maybe this will put your mind at ease a little bit. All modern aircraft have a number of redundant backup systems should one of them fail. As far as losing an engine in flight.... the planes are designed to fly and land on one engine, it's not an issue! Safety is the number one concern in aviation... the chance of something serious actually going wrong is probably the same as winning the lottery :P

hiyahon
27-03-2012, 11:38 PM
i used to watch ~air crash investigation~ on nat geo all the time, used to scare me!!

thing to remember is that crashes are so rare, you're unlikely to ever be caught in one

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!