PDA

View Full Version : Should Facebook be banned for under 18s? [ENDS 08/04/2012]

Grig
25-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Should Facebook be banned for under 18s?
Ends: 08/04/2012

A debate I was meaning to do for a while, this one is all about the fact that over 20 million minors use Facebook on a daily basis. However, there are some advocating the ban of Facebook for minors.

Some reasons include the fact that minors are often left unsupervised and are liable to various malicious malware, as well as sexual predators. There were also high cases of bullying, which could lead to adverse psychological effects in the development of the minor.

However, some say that this is a bit extreme and a better solution would be to educate both minors and their parents on the usage of Facebook and some of the implications.

These are just a few of many reasons to argue for or against the ban of this social networking titan. It is up to you to make the decision! Debate away!

SackRace
25-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Yes because a lot of immature kids that aren't even old enough for it, swear, rude and some times if it comes to football a lot of sectarian!

Paige.
25-03-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't think Facebook should be banned for children under the age of 18 because there is already an age limit, and although many children lie about their age to gain access to using Facebook, I think that if there was no age limit and it was not advertised people would be more inclined to put their real age. Once anyone under the age of 18 joins Facebook I think fixed security options should be put in place that they are not allowed to change them until they reach the age of 18. Also once someone creates a Facebook account then realises they can't use some of the features because they are under the age, they cannot log out and make a new account with an older age because Facebook should log IPs to stop the chance of people lying about their age.

beth
25-03-2012, 05:47 PM
no it shouldn't.

whilst i don't find facebook useful to me (anymore) when i was younger i found it vital for organisation of my friendship group, arranging meeting up and talking to people when i needed to. it should be a parental decision, if they don't want their child to be exposed to such "horrors" then they should police it in the home. i think it's definitely the minority that have a terrible experience with facebook anyway.

childish fights, swearing etc etc has happened throughout history, except back in the day it'd be in the playground: now it's online. that is just the way the world has moved forward, before facebook it was myspace and before myspace bebo.

kids should be made to understand that everything on facebook is just words though, and you shouldn't always take simple words at face value. i think if people are educated properly they can use it in a useful manner. and if they don't like it (after a while i can't stand it) they can always deactivate the account themselves.

BAMItzOLIVERR
25-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Definitely no. Mainly because many people use Facebook to socialize with friends (obviously). it can also show their feelings and what they are thinking. If people think it should be blocked to under 18s because of all of the bullying and stuff that happens, the person should block the people who are bullying them to stop it. That way, they can enjoy Facebook without the bother of being bullied.

Paige.
25-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Yes because a lot of immature kids that aren't even old enough for it, swear, rude and some times if it comes to football a lot of sectarian!

A lot of immature adults over the age of 18 swear and are rude on Facebook also.

beth
25-03-2012, 05:52 PM
A lot of immature adults over the age of 18 swear and are rude on Facebook also.

also, swearing isn't a crime and is merely a word. if yr upset by simple words you should perhaps not take them to heart.

it doesn't mean yr "immature" if you swear, some of the most educated mature people in this world swear, it just means yr short of descriptive terms at that time.

Paige.
25-03-2012, 05:55 PM
also, swearing isn't a crime and is merely a word. if yr upset by simple words you should perhaps not take them to heart.

it doesn't mean yr "immature" if you swear, some of the most educated mature people in this world swear, it just means yr short of descriptive terms at that time.

I know and I agree. I was simply making a point which proved why Ross' point wouldn't be a valid reason to not allow children under the age of 18 to go on Facebook :)

SackRace
25-03-2012, 05:57 PM
I know and I agree. I was simply making a point which proved why Ross' point wouldn't be a valid reason to not allow children under the age of 18 to go on Facebook :)

calm it paige a.k.a jipo!!!

Edited by Chris (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make unconstructive posts. The rules in this section are quite strict! - http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=617161

Paige.
25-03-2012, 05:59 PM
calm it paige a.k.a jipo!!!

I am calm Ross, this is a debate ;)

Edited by Chris (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make unconstructive posts. The rules in this section are quite strict! - http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=617161

SackRace
25-03-2012, 06:22 PM
I am calm Ross, this is a debate ;)

well stop looking at my debate xoxoxoxooxoxoxo jipsie!!!

Aiden
25-03-2012, 06:47 PM
No I don't think that it should ban under 18's and here are my reasons:

1. Even if you do ban under 18's they are still going to sign-up and you cant really block their IP's because a lot of olders also use the same IP.

2. Minors make Facebook work, I would say that half the people on Facebook.

3. Friends are key.... when one friend of a social group gets a Facebook they all do and that doesn't just bring Facebook more members but more money.... more people playing 'Games'. and clicking on Runescape, Habboads ECT

4. My last reason is kind of about me. When I was younger i couldn't read or write but Facebook helped. After reading what people are saying and replying you learn and progress. Its not the BBC Bitsize but it kinda works?

So yeah, thats what I think! :p

Paige.
25-03-2012, 06:52 PM
No I don't think that it should ban under 18's and here are my reasons:

1. Even if you do ban under 18's they are still going to sign-up and you cant really block their IP's because a lot of olders also use the same IP.

2. Minors make Facebook work, I would say that half the people on Facebook.

3. Friends are key.... when one friend of a social group gets a Facebook they all do and that doesn't just bring Facebook more members but more money.... more people playing 'Games'. and clicking on Runescape, Habboads ECT

4. My last reason is kind of about me. When I was younger i couldn't read or write but Facebook helped. After reading what people are saying and replying you learn and progress. Its not the BBC Bitsize but it kinda works?

So yeah, thats what I think! :p

I agree but nobody said anything about blocking ips, I think that Facebook should track their IPs after they've registered as an under 18 year old so they cannot sign out and create another account with an older, fake age.
Also for your second point, where are your statistics to prove this? I would disagree with this because I witness A LOT of over 18s using Facebook and regularly posting and commenting.
For your fourth point if you couldn't read how did you read what people wrote on Facebook to in turn, learn how to write?

Aiden
25-03-2012, 07:00 PM
I agree but nobody said anything about blocking ips, I think that Facebook should track their IPs after they've registered as an under 18 year old so they cannot sign out and create another account with an older, fake age.
Also for your second point, where are your statistics to prove this? I would disagree with this because I witness A LOT of over 18s using Facebook and regularly posting and commenting.
For your fourth point if you couldn't read how did you read what people wrote on Facebook to in turn, learn how to write?

1. I mean that if they know ur under 18 then they cant ban ips because others use it. I was js.
2. I was just saying that they have a bit community that you don't really notice about olders.
4. Because people fix ur mistakes and after reading the same thing over and over you can guess what it says.

Paige.
25-03-2012, 07:09 PM
1. I mean that if they know ur under 18 then they cant ban ips because others use it. I was js.
2. I was just saying that they have a bit community that you don't really notice about olders.
4. Because people fix ur mistakes and after reading the same thing over and over you can guess what it says.

Why would they ban the ip of an under 18 year old? We both agree that under 18s should be allowed to use Facebook.
Sorry the second point didn't make sense to me, please elaborate. I asked how it helped you to read and that didn't answer my question at all because that would only help you to write because they would be correcting what you have written? I still don't understand how you could of read what they said when they corrected you if you still couldn't read but this argument hasn't got anything to do with the actual debate so ermm, although you think that Facebook shouldn't be banned for under 18s do you have any ideas for which people might think that it should be banned?

Catchy
25-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Why do under 18s need to be banned from using Facebook? What would this accomplish? As someone earlier people under the age of 18 can be mature, turning 18 doesn't automatically make you mature and sensible I'm 19 and I don't feel either of those things very often!

I can tell you for a fact somebody is going to bring up the pedophile argument, well there are hundreds more other online websites plus all we need to do is educate people about the dangers of being online and the possibilities of what could happen if you met somebody off the Internet you didn't know! Which I'm sure all parents educate their children about my mum still does it to me even now every so often.

I don't think we need to go as far as banning Facebook but maybe educating children about the risks of being online and what to be aware of, i personally think they should do more of this in schools it wouldn't hurt them too I never had this at school and I'm sure many of you didn't either.

Fact of the matter is, banned or not minors will still be able to access Facebook just like minors can still get into clubs using fake I.d there is always a way!

Aiden
25-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Why would they ban the ip of an under 18 year old? We both agree that under 18s should be allowed to use Facebook.
Sorry the second point didn't make sense to me, please elaborate. I asked how it helped you to read and that didn't answer my question at all because that would only help you to write because they would be correcting what you have written? I still don't understand how you could of read what they said when they corrected you if you still couldn't read but this argument hasn't got anything to do with the actual debate so ermm, although you think that Facebook shouldn't be banned for under 18s do you have any ideas for which people might think that it should be banned?

Just forget about the reading and writing thing. They would ban the Ip so under 18's cant sign up. and if they was going to ban under 18's I think they would do it because It's unsafe for people and they could meet up with pedos. plus kids end up dead after cyber-fights and some of facebooks rules say that u can be mean to each other. If you watch this doc on iPlayer that could make you want to stop under 18's
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01dwg1n/The_AntiSocial_Network/ http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01dwg1n/The_AntiSocial_Network/

But they really isn't away to stop under 18's from signing up. If you can't bet them join them and help them as much as you can.

---------- Post added 25-03-2012 at 07:19 PM ----------

Why do under 18s need to be banned from using Facebook? What would this accomplish? As someone earlier people under the age of 18 can be mature, turning 18 doesn't automatically make you mature and sensible I'm 19 and I don't feel either of those things very often!

I can tell you for a fact somebody is going to bring up the pedophile argument, well there are hundreds more other online websites plus all we need to do is educate people about the dangers of being online and the possibilities of what could happen if you met somebody off the Internet you didn't know! Which I'm sure all parents educate their children about my mum still does it to me even now every so often.

I don't think we need to go as far as banning Facebook but maybe educating children about the risks of being online and what to be aware of, i personally think they should do more of this in schools it wouldn't hurt them too I never had this at school and I'm sure many of you didn't either.

Fact of the matter is, banned or not minors will still be able to access Facebook just like minors can still get into clubs using fake I.d there is always a way!

OI way just saying that about pedo's. They is no way of stop anything anymore online so we need to support under 18's but help them as much as we can and thats what facebook should be doing. :P

Catchy
25-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Just forget about the reading and writing thing. They would ban the Ip so under 18's cant sign up. and if they was going to ban under 18's I think they would do it because It's unsafe for people and they could meet up with pedos. plus kids end up dead after cyber-fights and some of facebooks rules say that u can be mean to each other. If you watch this doc on iPlayer that could make you want to stop under 18's
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01dwg1n/The_AntiSocial_Network/ http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01dwg1n/The_AntiSocial_Network/

But they really isn't away to stop under 18's from signing up. If you can't bet them join them and help them as much as you can.

---------- Post added 25-03-2012 at 07:19 PM ----------

OI way just saying that about pedo's. They is no way of stop anything anymore online so we need to support under 18's but help them as much as we can and thats what facebook should be doing. :P

I forgot to mention this in my post, yes they could meet up with paedos but there's also a large amount of adults who can also meet up with absolute nut jobs, children aren't the only victims.

Aiden
25-03-2012, 07:23 PM
I forgot to mention this in my post, yes they could meet up with paedos but there's also a large amount of adults who can also meet up with absolute nut jobs, children aren't the only victims.

true but some teens are really stupid or new to the internet and dont under whats really going on! Have you seen Hard Candy?

Paige.
25-03-2012, 07:25 PM

I totally agree with this and yeah everyone always finds a way. I think that there should be fixed security settings for users under the age of 18 which they cannot change until they reach the age of 18 and Facebook should log their IPs so they cannot log out as soon as they realise that there are restrictions and make a new account, I know people would find a way to swerve this also but it could make certain issues easier to handle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01dwg1n/The_AntiSocial_Network/ http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01dwg1n/The_AntiSocial_Network/ (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01dwg1n/The_AntiSocial_Network/)

Yep. Although, Facebook isn't the only social networking site out there and I doubt that if Facebook were to enforce this rule, the majority of other social networking sites wouldn't as this would decrease their user numbers and money coming in so it really wouldn't make much difference as bullies will always find a way to get to the victim.

Catchy
25-03-2012, 07:26 PM
true but some teens are really stupid or new to the internet and dont under whats really going on! Have you seen Hard Candy?

Yeah that's a really good film but the girl in it is smart she knows exactly what she's doing but he's a right sick predator. Unfortunately there are always gonna be those types of people out there but like you said children just need to be educated about the dangers from an early age, no it obviously isn't going to prevent all the bad stuff happening but nobody can stop it completely.

Paige.
25-03-2012, 07:29 PM

Yeah I totally agree and there aren't many differences with the things that can or cannot happen to minors and adults because to be honest, on social networking sites everyone is at an equal risk of danger.

beth
25-03-2012, 07:30 PM
hard candy is such a good film, but it's a definite minority.

if anyone is interested in films like that about people not being who they are online. there's a docu-film called catfish and it's about a guy who kinda "falls for" a girl over facebook but certain discrepancies about her life start appearing and he decides to make a "surprise visit" to where she says she lives. really really interesting and very sad too.

Paige.
25-03-2012, 07:32 PM

This is true but then again some adults aren't all clued up. Parents should be more aware that a lot of children now a days use social networking sites and they should make them aware of the dangers and how to avoid them so that they are more safe. Or as an alternative, parents shouldn't let their really young children on Facebook at all.

Catchy
25-03-2012, 07:34 PM
hard candy is such a good film, but it's a definite minority.

if anyone is interested in films like that about people not being who they are online. there's a docu-film called catfish and it's about a guy who kinda "falls for" a girl over facebook but certain discrepancies about her life start appearing and he decides to make a "surprise visit" to where she says she lives. really really interesting and very sad too.

Is this the one where it's her mother pretending to be her? LMFAO properly spoilt it for everyone now if it is haven't I!

Back on topic anyway:

So let's just pretend for a minute Facebook gets banned, does this mean every other social networking site for teens get's banned for them too? For example Habbo, cause there are probably a lot more people pretending to be somebody else on Habbo than you'd expect!

Aiden
25-03-2012, 07:36 PM
This is true but then again some adults aren't all clued up. Parents should be more aware that a lot of children now a days use social networking sites and they should make them aware of the dangers and how to avoid them so that they are more safe. Or as an alternative, parents shouldn't let their really young children on Facebook at all.

I've seen 8 year olds on Facebook its just bad getting in cyber-fights with 15yr olds. Some parents don't use Facebook. My mothers got facebook but only uses it to contact friends if someone went to her meet me sexy she would go because knock them out, but really she shouldn't go.

Paige.
25-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Is this the one where it's her mother pretending to be her? LMFAO properly spoilt it for everyone now if it is haven't I!

Back on topic anyway:

So let's just pretend for a minute Facebook gets banned, does this mean every other social networking site for teens get's banned for them too? For example Habbo, cause there are probably a lot more people pretending to be somebody else on Habbo than you'd expect!

I mentioned this earlier :P

Yep. Although, Facebook isn't the only social networking site out there and I doubt that if Facebook were to enforce this rule, the majority of other social networking sites wouldn't as this would decrease their user numbers and money coming in so it really wouldn't make much difference as bullies will always find a way to get to the victim.

I think that it wouldn't make a difference if Facebook stopped under 18s from using it because there are the same risks on other websites :)

---------- Post added 25-03-2012 at 08:40 PM ----------

I've seen 8 year olds on Facebook its just bad getting in cyber-fights with 15yr olds. Some parents don't use Facebook. My mothers got facebook but only uses it to contact friends if someone went to her meet me sexy she would go because knock them out, but really she shouldn't go.

8 year olds on Facebook is really down to the parents to stop. Really they should know that their child is using Facebook. If I had a child and they were of the age of 8 and they were using Facebook I would ban the website from the computer they were using, using the computer's parental control system.

Catchy
25-03-2012, 07:44 PM

I think that it wouldn't make a difference if Facebook stopped under 18s from using it because there are the same risks on other websites :)

8 year olds on Facebook is really down to the parents to stop. Really they should know that their child is using Facebook. If I had a child and they were of the age of 8 and they were using Facebook I would ban the website from the computer they were using, using the computer's parental control system.
I agree with every single word of this, it is really down to the parents to stop. I know my mum probably wouldn't of felt me comfortable on Facebook at the age of 8, sites can easily be blocked using parental controls and if you're 8 well I doubt you'd be able to find a way around that very easy.

Aiden
25-03-2012, 07:45 PM

The thing is kids are getting smart these days, deleting history. And most parent don't even know they have them. (I would of given u rep but i have to wait 19:34 hours.)

RyRy
25-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Me & FlyingJesus would both agree that this would be a terrible idea. Facebook is a great source of... gossip.

geo
25-03-2012, 07:47 PM
No, I don't think Facebook should be banned for this who are under 18. It would be too late to enforce that rule now, anyway. :P

There's already an age limit on Facebook (I'm sure it was 13+ ?) and, well, that didn't exactly go down very well. People can put what they want on Facebook, at the end of the day it'll be them getting in trouble for what they do. It would be nice to have some sort of rules or maybe if the report button actually worked, then it would be a lot better.

I know longer use Facebook because I'm sick of seeing all this pointless banter and ********** on it, but when I did use it, I found that it was a great way to start off conversation in real life. You'd see something on Facebook and then you'd use that information to talk to your friends. I used it for so much, not only was I up to date with what was going on in my local area, but I could arrange things easily with my friends.

Like Bethie said, if their parents don't want them to be on Facebook, then it should be their job to stop them going on it.

Paige.
25-03-2012, 07:50 PM
The thing is kids are getting smart these days, deleting history. And most parent don't even know they have them. (I would of given u rep but i have to wait 19:34 hours.)

Indeed kids are smart these days which is why there isn't much point in banning them from Facebook because as me and Catchy mentioned earlier, they would probably find a way to swerve the actions taken to prevent them from accessing Facebook. It is also true that some parents don't even realise that they have Facebook but it is still down to them to ensure the safety of their child and if anything did happen to their child, may it rest on their head.

Aiden
25-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Indeed kids are smart these days which is why there isn't much point in banning them from Facebook because as me and Catchy mentioned earlier, they would probably find a way to swerve the actions taken to prevent them from accessing Facebook. It is also true that some parents don't even realise that they have Facebook but it is still down to them to ensure the safety of their child and if anything did happen to their child, may it rest on their head.

I know but you could be the most caring and best mother or father in the world but still not know about it...

Paige.
25-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Me & @FlyingJesus (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=24753) would both agree that this would be a terrible idea. Facebook is a great source of... gossip.

haha I agree :P

No, I don't think Facebook should be banned for this who are under 18. It would be too late to enforce that rule now, anyway. :P

There's already an age limit on Facebook (I'm sure it was 13+ ?) and, well, that didn't exactly go down very well. People can put what they want on Facebook, at the end of the day it'll be them getting in trouble for what they do. It would be nice to have some sort of rules or maybe if the report button actually worked, then it would be a lot better.

I know longer use Facebook because I'm sick of seeing all this pointless banter and ********** on it, but when I did use it, I found that it was a great way to start off conversation in real life. You'd see something on Facebook and then you'd use that information to talk to your friends. I used it for so much, not only was I up to date with what was going on in my local area, but I could arrange things easily with my friends.

Like @Bethie (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=18342) said, if their parents don't want them to be on Facebook, then it should be their job to stop them going on it.

As you've proved in the part that I've outlined in bold, if users find they don't enjoy Facebook for whatever reason, may it be bullying or pointless arguments, they can just stop using Facebook and deactivate their account. There is no need to moan about cyber bullying on Facebook because the victims should just leave the site? Yes I know there are other sites they could use to target the victim on but why don't they just block the bullies. I would've said stop using the sites but it's not fair that the bullies would've stopped them from using and enjoying the social networking sites.
Also I'm sure I made the point that parents should be held responsible for their child's safety ;)

---------- Post added 25-03-2012 at 08:59 PM ----------

I know but you could be the most caring and best mother or father in the world but still not know about it...

I know but what I'm trying to say is that it's their job to make sure they know their child is safe and this includes the internet. They should know what their child goes on and go to all lengths to find out and ensure that their child is safe.

geo
25-03-2012, 08:20 PM
haha I agree :P

As you've proved in the part that I've outlined in bold, if users find they don't enjoy Facebook for whatever reason, may it be bullying or pointless arguments, they can just stop using Facebook and deactivate their account. There is no need to moan about cyber bullying on Facebook because the victims should just leave the site? Yes I know there are other sites they could use to target the victim on but why don't they just block the bullies. I would've said stop using the sites but it's not fair that the bullies would've stopped them from using and enjoying the social networking sites.
Also I'm sure I made the point that parents should be held responsible for their child's safety ;)

---------- Post added 25-03-2012 at 08:59 PM ----------

I know but what I'm trying to say is that it's their job to make sure they know their child is safe and this includes the internet. They should know what their child goes on and go to all lengths to find out and ensure that their child is safe.

As much as I'd love to deactivate my account, I do sometimes have to use Facebook for organising when I'm meeting up with friends.

It's a shame though, there are many reasons I'd think it would be good to ban children from Facebook but it wouldn't work and some people aren't immature like the rest. I know many people will live to regret what they're posted on Facebook, haha.

Paige.
25-03-2012, 08:24 PM
As much as I'd love to deactivate my account, I do sometimes have to use Facebook for organising when I'm meeting up with friends.

It's a shame though, there are many reasons I'd think it would be good to ban children from Facebook but it wouldn't work and some people aren't immature like the rest. I know many people will live to regret what they're posted on Facebook, haha.

Yeah, there are many advantages to using Facebook:)
I agree and yeah it wouldn't work cause people would just swerve the actions taken place as said earlier and also like you said, some people aren't immature like the rest and they do use Facebook nicely and treat users with respect so it wouldn't really be fair on them :) Same haha and I regret some of the things I've posted on there so I tend to not post anything anymore, I just occasionally go on it to see what the latest gossip it ;)

Deeb
25-03-2012, 10:14 PM
I think all the safety features that you can turn on with facebook now, should be forced for Children. Their profile should not be allowed to be made public and they need to accept you before you can see anything.

DeejayMachoo
29-03-2012, 09:42 AM
I don't think there should be an 18 age limit on facebook, Then people could do the lottery before they could register to facebook?

But i do think facebook need to enforce there current rule of i believe 12+ (may be mistaken), But cousin who clearly isnt 12, (his 8) is on facebook. I think I didn't even have a playstation when i was 7, he has a laptop, a ps3, a 360 a mobile phone. I think in a whole we need to treat kids more like kids until there old enough to understand the world.

So 12 is a good age if 12 actually meant 12. Age ranges need to be enforced on a whole. I mean Isn't habbo's age 11? I knew many people under 11 back in the day I played habbo.

-Matt

Catchy
29-03-2012, 01:21 PM
I don't think there should be an 18 age limit on facebook, Then people could do the lottery before they could register to facebook?

But i do think facebook need to enforce there current rule of i believe 12+ (may be mistaken), But cousin who clearly isnt 12, (his 8) is on facebook. I think I didn't even have a playstation when i was 7, he has a laptop, a ps3, a 360 a mobile phone. I think in a whole we need to treat kids more like kids until there old enough to understand the world.

So 12 is a good age if 12 actually meant 12. Age ranges need to be enforced on a whole. I mean Isn't habbo's age 11? I knew many people under 11 back in the day I played habbo.

-Matt

Thing is it's sort of impossible to enforce them on a whole, there's always going to be underage people on sites such as Facebook and Habbo. The only thing I could think of to actually stop it would be "Upon registration a copy of your identification is needed" but that would never happen because for one it would take far too long and two I think companies such as Habbo and Facebook are full on aware that younger people use their services but just turn a blind eye.

Saying that however I do remember when people used to be perm banned on Habbo back in the day if they admitted they were underage.

GommeInc
29-03-2012, 01:24 PM
No, waste of money to over-regulate a non-problem. Provided the parents of the user keeps an eye on their usage and privacy is promoted in the household and at school, like it should be in this day and age, there should be little call for concern like there is at the moment. Facebook has pretty good privacy and security controls for users who register under certain ages, and that's all that can be done. There's no point creating laws or getting Facebook to restrict access to certain ages when it can easily be avoided.

AlexHenry
29-03-2012, 01:33 PM
I think all the safety features that you can turn on with facebook now, should be forced for Children. Their profile should not be allowed to be made public and they need to accept you before you can see anything.

100% agree with this. :)

MotorStefan95
29-03-2012, 03:43 PM
I don't think it should be banned. Under 18s should have different security settings to over 18s which they can't change until they are 18. I do think that under 13s should not be on it though. A lot of them don't understand what it is actually for and click every link on the website. (I'm not saying everyone under 13 does this but a lot of them do).

-:Undertaker:-
29-03-2012, 05:11 PM
It should be up to Facebook, nobody else.

Ellz
29-03-2012, 05:23 PM
under 18s have extra protection on their accounts anyway don't they? If they were to ban under 18s they would lose most of their users.

Deeb
29-03-2012, 06:15 PM
It should be up to Facebook, nobody else.

I disagree, the majority of companies don take child safety before profit. There should be restrictions to all social networking sites

Paige.
29-03-2012, 06:29 PM

I agree as I made this point earlier.

I don't think it should be banned. Under 18s should have different security settings to over 18s which they can't change until they are 18. I do think that under 13s should not be on it though. A lot of them don't understand what it is actually for and click every link on the website. (I'm not saying everyone under 13 does this but a lot of them do).

I don't think Facebook should be banned for children under the age of 18 because there is already an age limit, and although many children lie about their age to gain access to using Facebook, I think that if there was no age limit and it was not advertised people would be more inclined to put their real age. Once anyone under the age of 18 joins Facebook I think fixed security options should be put in place that they are not allowed to change them until they reach the age of 18. Also once someone creates a Facebook account then realises they can't use some of the features because they are under the age, they cannot log out and make a new account with an older age because Facebook should log IPs to stop the chance of people lying about their age.

Also how can you categorize under 13s and say this? Where is your evidence to support your statement that a lot of under 13s don't understand what Facebook is for and click every link on it? My brother is 11 years of age and understands Facebook and what it is for and certainly does not click every link. I don't understand how this could be a viable reason to think that under 13s shouldn't be allowed to use Facebook anyway:L

Jssy
29-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Nope, regardless people younger than the age you are supposed to be, to be on facebook WILL join. Easy to use security settings and extra measures are always in practice but I think if anything every time they change the layout they should show under 18's where the security settings are etc because I honestly couldn't find a thing when I switched to timeline layout.

Paige.
29-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Nope, regardless people younger than the age you are supposed to be, to be on facebook WILL join. Easy to use security settings and extra measures are always in practice but I think if anything every time they change the layout they should show under 18's where the security settings are etc because I honestly couldn't find a thing when I switched to timeline layout.

I agree because they may feel more inclined to put their security settings on and I had the same problem when I switched to timeline layout and it took me a while to actually find the security settings page and other under 18s may have given up and not bothered as they didn't have easy access and thought it was a waste of their time. Also I think it should be easier to block someone because for inexperienced Facebook users it may be more challenging if they have no clue where to find the block button.

29-03-2012, 10:22 PM
I disagree, the majority of companies don take child safety before profit. There should be restrictions to all social networking sites

If you don't like it then in a free society you have two choices, either you can;

a) if you have children ban them yourself and raise your children and nobody elses.
b) set up your own company or join an online site which has rules which you like.

Otherwise, i'm afraid it's really none of your business or that of the government.

Deeb
30-03-2012, 09:57 AM
If you don't like it then in a free society you have two choices, either you can;

a) if you have children ban them yourself and raise your children and nobody elses.
b) set up your own company or join an online site which has rules which you like.

Otherwise, i'm afraid it's really none of your business or that of the government.

The government and sites like this should take responsibility too. Everybody should take steps to safeguard our children!

GommeInc
30-03-2012, 11:18 AM
The government and sites like this should take responsibility too. Everybody should take steps to safeguard our children!
Simply don't have children if you can't raise them properly. Any child psychologist would argue that smuthering them from progressive technologies like Facebook is just going to make them sniverling little messes in the future. The Government has no jurisdiction, a proper education on online security and safety is key and I hope schools are teaching children about this modern day issue that affects everyone. Facebook has all the security steps in place already - you set your profile to invisible so it doesn't appear in search results as well as any other information, or simply advise children not to add anything that gives too much away. Facebook could set up systems to aid parents who want to further protect themselves and their children, but it shouldn't feel pressured by nanny-state Governments who have more important things to do.

Deeb
30-03-2012, 02:00 PM
I think governments should pressure social networking sites to take steps to aid parents into making sure their children are safe online. Some parents also are not educated enough on online safety, I know myself from experience that this is strongly enforced in schools but the fact is, the internet is not a safe place and parents cannot stop that.

At the end of the day, the government are responsible for keeping us safe, especially the younger generations - that's why we pay tax.

Catchy
30-03-2012, 02:13 PM

I am sorry but this is absolutely rubbish. Children are parents responsibility... Therefore they should be making sure that their children are properly protected. Anyway most kids have Facebook now days anyway, can't remember the last horror story I've heard about children and Facebook for a long time, actually I don't even think I've heard any?

Facebook aren't liable if anything were to happen and they shouldn't be either.

Deeb
30-03-2012, 02:48 PM
I didn't say they are liable or should be liable - the point I'm tryin to getting across is that parents have no control over the safety of the Internet and is impossile to monitor their activity 24/7

MotorStefan95
30-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Also how can you categorize under 13s and say this? Where is your evidence to support your statement that a lot of under 13s don't understand what Facebook is for and click every link on it? My brother is 11 years of age and understands Facebook and what it is for and certainly does not click every link. I don't understand how this could be a viable reason to think that under 13s shouldn't be allowed to use Facebook anyway:L

I said a lot of them, not all of them. I know this because many of the younger people in my school click on loads of links.
You could also say it is a problem with there security. There are many threats on the internet and this is not explained enough to younger users. Facebook is in part responsible for the amount of people getting hacked. There security is not very good for a multi million company.

Paige.
30-03-2012, 05:25 PM
I said a lot of them, not all of them. I know this because many of the younger people in my school click on loads of links.
You could also say it is a problem with there security. There are many threats on the internet and this is not explained enough to younger users. Facebook is in part responsible for the amount of people getting hacked. There security is not very good for a multi million company.

I know you said a lot of them, not all of them...

Where is your evidence to support your statement that a lot of under 13s don't understand what Facebook
Knowing that many of the younger people in your school click loads of links doesn't prove that a lot of under 13s do this as the percentage of the younger people in your school who do this isn't even a quarter of how many under 13s use Facebook. I agree that there are many threats on the internet but those threats not only effect under 13s, they also effect adults as they are at equal risk. Also the statement you made 'this is not explained enough to young users' is wrong as younger Facebook users are given the most education on internet safety and arguable, more than the adults as they don't tend to be told about internet safety as people assume that they already know. How can you say that Facebook is part responsible for the amount of people getting hacked? Where is your evidence to support this statement? Their security wouldn't be a reason for Facebook not to allow under 13s to use it because it would also effect those over 13 so in turn, you're saying that nobody should use Facebook as their security isn't good enough?

30-03-2012, 11:16 PM

I don't have a responsibility to your children in the slightest, neither does Mark Zuckerberg.

Only you have responsibility for your children.

e5
30-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Easy - No. Facebook privatises younger kids fairly well. It's up to the parents to allow their kids on facebook and to monitor their activity.

Deeb
31-03-2012, 07:05 AM
I don't have a responsibility to your children in the slightest, neither does Mark Zuckerberg.

Only you have responsibility for your children.

I didn't say that you had responsibility over anybody's child

What I said was the government must take steps to safeguard our children and their private information. That's why we have data protection laws, that's why we have police. Now the government should also police the Internet for young users

GommeInc
31-03-2012, 10:00 AM
I didn't say that you had responsibility over anybody's child

What I said was the government must take steps to safeguard our children and their private information. That's why we have data protection laws, that's why we have police. Now the government should also police the Internet for young users
But you're suggesting others should take responsibility over other peoples children by saying the Government should intervene, when the only intervention should be through the education system. Children are not going to learn about privacy and the internet if the nanny-state ideology traps them in a safety net, when already existent laws the Government have created could be easily taught in schools - which I really hope is taught in schools, considering how it is one of the most important things in todays internet-oriented society.

Besides, it would be a complete waste of money for the Government to police the internet IF the children are not taught how to use it, something policing never does until a crime is committed.

Deeb
31-03-2012, 07:29 PM
But you're suggesting others should take responsibility over other peoples children by saying the Government should intervene, when the only intervention should be through the education system. Children are not going to learn about privacy and the internet if the nanny-state ideology traps them in a safety net, when already existent laws the Government have created could be easily taught in schools - which I really hope is taught in schools, considering how it is one of the most important things in todays internet-oriented society.

Besides, it would be a complete waste of money for the Government to police the internet IF the children are not taught how to use it, something policing never does until a crime is committed.

Government intervene when you have an accident in work, when you're sacked for no reason or if you were in danger. The same goes for children, you're making out as if children should be looked after solely by their parents, what about social services or child protection agencies set up by the government?

The fact is the government are responsible for keeping adults safe already, as well as children which is why new safeguarding measures should be in place to do with the internet, starting with facebook!

GommeInc
01-04-2012, 01:21 AM
Government intervene when you have an accident in work, when you're sacked for no reason or if you were in danger. The same goes for children, you're making out as if children should be looked after solely by their parents, what about social services or child protection agencies set up by the government?

The fact is the government are responsible for keeping adults safe already, as well as children which is why new safeguarding measures should be in place to do with the internet, starting with facebook!
No, I'm suggesting the educational system does what it should do and that's to educate children and their parents, to the extent the parents survey what their children are doing (parents are, in legal terms, guardians of their children). The Government do not need to intervene further, there are already laws that protect children from cyber crime and bullying - there does not need to be anymore. Big businesses like Facebook do not need the Government breathing down their neck for easy to solve problems like online security, which is purely handled on a user level with security settings. Facebook should not be to blame for pure ignorance on behalf of the child and the immediate parents, where the safeguards already exist. It would be impossible for the Government and Facebook to moderate online users, when they are anonymous at the best of times and can fake their ages. There is no way it can be easily regulated, specifically when this is a non-problem :P

Shockwave.2CC
01-04-2012, 04:00 AM
I say no because if facebook was banned for under 18s, then they'll just find somewhere else to go on like Twitter, Bebo, Myspace and others. So if they ban Facebook for under 18s, they might aswell ban everything for under 18s :)

Deeb
01-04-2012, 09:19 AM
No, I'm suggesting the educational system does what it should do and that's to educate children and their parents, to the extent the parents survey what their children are doing (parents are, in legal terms, guardians of their children). The Government do not need to intervene further, there are already laws that protect children from cyber crime and bullying - there does not need to be anymore. Big businesses like Facebook do not need the Government breathing down their neck for easy to solve problems like online security, which is purely handled on a user level with security settings. Facebook should not be to blame for pure ignorance on behalf of the child and the immediate parents, where the safeguards already exist. It would be impossible for the Government and Facebook to moderate online users, when they are anonymous at the best of times and can fake their ages. There is no way it can be easily regulated, specifically when this is a non-problem :P

I think Facebook is a problem - as well as any other social networking site. Government make laws such as it's mandatory for seat belts to be worn, smoking is for 18+ in order to protect us. So laws such as security settings should be taken online as well, especially since nowadays the internet is used a lot more.

GommeInc
01-04-2012, 12:45 PM
I think Facebook is a problem - as well as any other social networking site. Government make laws such as it's mandatory for seat belts to be worn, smoking is for 18+ in order to protect us. So laws such as security settings should be taken online as well, especially since nowadays the internet is used a lot more.
You're mistaking the Government as a business that absorbs other companies to control them. Facebook already has security settings and the Government should never intervene with big business. Laws already exist like the ones that make seat belt wearing mandatory - data protection laws, laws against sex with minors, corporation laws... Not to mention, as is continuously repeated - it would be impossible to impose these laws when Facebook does not go into the homes of every user to check their age, and the Government should never break privacy laws and pass these details onto companies like Facebook to help them moderate their users.

It would be easier and wiser to teach children about online dangers and how to effectively use social network sites. This comes from proper parenting, because as a parent you legally are in charge of your children, AND the education system, which should be drumming into children the online dangers from a young age. Human beings aren't stupid, but asking the nanny-state to intervene when man evolved with such powerful brains will only make them stupid.

Deeb
01-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Regardless of how smart we are as a race, that has nothing to do with the protection of children. Children are unsafe on facebook and something should be done about it - I'm not saying ban them from facebook, I'm saying make measures where children automatically have strict security settings, continue educating children about online safety yes, but you shouldn't leave the issue down to the parents.

Especially when the majority of parents don't know what they're doing themselves online.

Charlie
01-04-2012, 02:02 PM
No, what'd be the point. They'd go somewhere else and the reasons you could list to ban under 18s will happen there. At the end of the day, the internet is always going to have those people that aren't who they're making themselves out to be and you can do whatever you like to try and protect children and it will work as long as parents and children and whoever else make it work but there will always be those few people who manage to go without being caught or that one child who is silly enough not to listen.

GommeInc
01-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Regardless of how smart we are as a race, that has nothing to do with the protection of children. Children are unsafe on facebook and something should be done about it - I'm not saying ban them from facebook, I'm saying make measures where children automatically have strict security settings, continue educating children about online safety yes, but you shouldn't leave the issue down to the parents.

Especially when the majority of parents don't know what they're doing themselves online.
Facebook 'Minor' Policy:
http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/minors

The safeguards are already in place, the Government need not come into it. They're usually automatic.

Conspiracy.
01-04-2012, 09:32 PM
-18's would just lie about their age (which would be more dangerous) and join anyway.

People get bullied online and offline, bullying wouldn't stop. Online bullying is easier to deal with in my opinion as there's a "block" button (which unfortunately a lot of people don't use); there isn't a "block" button in real life.

Just educate people on online safety.

I just think it would be really harsh to ban a 16/17 year old who are just using it to talk to friends :| I had a bebo when I was 14 and I was fine.

Deeb
02-04-2012, 05:47 AM
Facebook 'Minor' Policy:
http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/minors

The safeguards are already in place, the Government need not come into it. They're usually automatic.

I don't use facebook so I wouldn't know what they have or have not implemented. However if they have already implemented restrictions for minors and their security settings are already fully private, so people can't just find them with just a name then that is fantastic, the government do not need to get involved.

GommeInc
02-04-2012, 07:22 AM
I don't use facebook so I wouldn't know what they have or have not implemented. However if they have already implemented restrictions for minors and their security settings are already fully private, so people can't just find them with just a name then that is fantastic, the government do not need to get involved.
Ah, this might explain why you seem so hostile towards it when the settings and services are already there :P

Catchy
02-04-2012, 01:44 PM

So you've just jumped into this debate without actually knowing nothing about Facebook privacy settings yourself? Wow.

Deeb
07-04-2012, 05:16 PM
@Catchy I jumped into the debate with knowledge of privacy settings that I knew when I did use it, so I do still have knowledge just not of recent updates. Also, as I said I was opposed more to all social networking sites as a whole, not just Facebook.

Cerys
07-04-2012, 08:32 PM
It's way too easy to get past age restrictions, anyway!

Like as far as I'm aware, habbos age limit is somewhere near 13? Well, I joined when I was 8/9.
But if they did have a way to successfully inforce age restrictions, an age limit of 19 for facebook would be way too old. They'd lose loads of facebook users, and therefore money.
It would be a bad move to make.

Mollie
07-04-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't think it should be banned for under 18s, no. Many teens that are on facebook primarily use it for socialising, creating events for people to join and generally keeping up to date with friends.

I suppose it's ultimately up to the parents whether or not they want their children on facebook, but I don't see why facebook should be for 18s and over only. People would just lie about their age to get access to it.
If facebook was for over 18s only in the first place, people would find an alternative such as myspace or they would stick on the older sites such as bebo, which will have grown dramatically if it wasn't for facebook.

So no, I don't think it should be banned for people under 18. My opinion may be bias though, as I am a facebook user under 18 and I am on it often.

Milarz
08-04-2012, 10:19 AM
I'd say 13 & under should be banned. No way 18 & under.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!