PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only person who doesn't get wrestling?

peteyt
02-04-2012, 05:50 AM
Maybe this is in the wrong place but anyway's as the title say's, Am I the only person who doesn't get wrestling?

I get it obviously in what it is but I just don't see how people can get all excited, pumped up etc. for a match as if it's actually real when actually the result and most of the entire fight has been planned right to the core.

I do think that there is talent there, skill and so on but it's like if Football matches where planned, goals where planned ahead - it would just be pointless.

But hey its not for everyone I guess

Thread moved by Chris (Forum Super Moderator): From "Discuss Anything", as it is better suited here!

Eric
02-04-2012, 08:40 AM
WWE is fake and i think wrestling is violent

buttons
02-04-2012, 10:23 AM
i don't like wrestling now but when i was younger my dad used to go with his friends and i'd tag along and loved the atmosphere but that's about it. i associate it with good times but it's probably an excuse for guys to get drunk and rowdy (A). ah well if many people like it then there must be something to like.

Ellz
02-04-2012, 11:34 AM
i generally don't get any form of sport where people are hitting each other regardless of whether its fake or not, i don't see the point.

wiktoria
02-04-2012, 11:40 AM
i don't like wrestling at all. i really don't get WWE like i know it's fake but are they actually hitting each other idk. i don't find it entertaining though.

Kasabian
02-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Each to their own.

Wrestling/WWE is all about entertainment, and if you follow the story lines(bit like a soap, haha) it makes sense and can be quite enjoyable.

I've liked wrestling since I was a kid, and I doubt that will change.

Jurv
02-04-2012, 12:17 PM
pretty much what tom said.

i first started watching wrestling from a very young age and still do to this day, it's sort of something i grew up with and have always thought was very good entertainment. it doesn't matter whether it's fake or not because i watch it purely for the entertainment, which involves the storylines, the superstars and the matches themselves. in all honesty, i don't think i would enjoy it as much if it was real, the matches wouldn't be as entertaining and the storylines would most likely be very similar and boring.

wixard
02-04-2012, 12:29 PM
remember that dude who always wore a mask and one day he took it off and his face was all burnt

wrestling was a HUGE part of my childhood what else would you do sunday morning? IT'S AWESOME but obviously don't watch it anymore I say some of the kids i grew up with do

Jurv
02-04-2012, 01:09 PM
remember that dude who always wore a mask and one day he took it off and his face was all burnt

wrestling was a HUGE part of my childhood what else would you do sunday morning? IT'S AWESOME but obviously don't watch it anymore I say some of the kids i grew up with do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-BYXBRrklc&feature=related

my grandad used to record wrestling on video tape for me when i was younger, i used to get all excited when he gave it me.

Charlie
02-04-2012, 01:38 PM
I used to watch it when I was younger and when I found out it was fake, I was really shocked. I don't watch it now, I don't really like it anymore. I got bored of watching grown guys to beat the crap out of each other to go along with a ready made storyline. If there was a hint of realness to it, like the person who won wasn't decided beforehand, I might be more interested

David
02-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Yeah what tom said it's all about entertainment. I love it and always have, was a part of my childhood and now part of my adulthood :P

Kasabian
02-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Yeah what tom said it's all about entertainment. I love it and always have, was a part of my childhood and now part of my adulthood :P

You should have put kidulthood.

I grew up watching ECW, WCW and WWF(at the time). I still watch all the old PPV'S from ECW/WCW as they are a major part of my childhood. I'm also involved with a local wrestling promotion.

David
02-04-2012, 02:50 PM
You should have put kidulthood.

I grew up watching ECW, WCW and WWF(at the time). I still watch all the old PPV'S from ECW/WCW as they are a major part of my childhood. I'm also involved with a local wrestling promotion.

you make graphics for alcohol ;)

brandon
02-04-2012, 05:10 PM
I don't really get it either but I took an interest last night because I bet on it, couldn't believe you could bet on it!

Kirstt
02-04-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't understand it! Whats with all the weird moves.. :S

Adam
02-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Movies are 'fake'. Soaps are 'fake'. Sitcoms are 'fake' but you still watch them. Why? Because they entertain you.

If a movie doesn't entertain you, don't watch it. All matches are pre detirmined but nobody knows, so I don't understand why you're using that as an argument.

This age old argument does my head in - if you don't like it, don't watch it. If you do like it, join http://www.fallscountanywhere.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geo
02-04-2012, 06:49 PM
I've never really watched wrestling, but because of the huge hype over Wrestlemania or something, I'd actually love to see what it was like! :P

Vause
02-04-2012, 08:48 PM
I adore wrestling and always have. I am so willing to pay the money to watch the PPV's and it's something I enjoy - but each to their own.

Paige.
02-04-2012, 09:50 PM
I don't like wrestling and I don't really get it either, I do 'get' it but I just don't understand why someone would enjoy watching a fight where people get hurt? But I guess everyone thinks differently :)

Misawa
03-04-2012, 12:44 AM
People don't watch wrestling expressly to see people hurt. One thing I can't stand is when people judge it purely on it being "fake", which is an awful word to describe it. Yes, everything is pre-determined, but the talent it requires is unbelievable and there is incredible artistry in what they do in the ring. Think of it like an action movie. The drama, the storylines, the action... They beat the hell out of their bodies every single night. They've got a tougher schedule than any other job I can possibly think of and are most likely the hardest working athletes in the world, but often don't get the credit they deserve.

Oleh
03-04-2012, 03:37 AM
I still don't understand why every tom **** and harry who doesn't enjoy watching entertaining sport, decides to let it known that it's fake. It still doesn't change the fact that it's labelled as entertainment, I doubt that if everything they did was real it'd even be allowed to air on national television. It'd also be a whole lot less interesting & meaningful if there wasn't an element of story telling and such behind it. Even Vince Mcmahon publicly said wrestling was entertainment not competition.

SackRace
03-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Used to like it then i found out it was fake.

Milarz
04-04-2012, 07:16 AM
Back in the old days, it used to be more than just boring old moves & hitting each other. Back then it was attitude, more entertainment you'd find people flying off the stage, fighting in super markets, blood, thumb-tax & so on. They where the days when it was more real & was all about entertainment. Now days it's for kids, more of a circus, everything in WWE looks... fake. Overall, it's like a movie & a circus & a dance all combined into one, live. Just another entertainment thing.

JerseySafety
04-04-2012, 07:39 AM
I do get it sometimes, but imo its alot more confusing than other sports like rugby.

Showder
04-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Pal, I don't get wrestling or w/e WWE too.
But I get Dwayne Johnson "The Rock!"
I think its a form of fighting, but engaging in a more violent behaivor.

=Lizzy
04-04-2012, 08:55 AM
no i dont understand it either
not really sure about it!!

Vause
04-04-2012, 09:19 AM
It's obviously fake, it has to be. If they literally hit each other like that they'd be dead by now. It's entertainment and it's fantastic. John Cena is such an idol to me. I have loads of wrestling dvd's and it's one sport that has gone on for years, and some real legends have come from it.

beth
04-04-2012, 09:20 AM
i've never really been interested in it (just not my thing) but i watched Kasabian; forced me) some the other week and i didn't find it that bad, i find the culture surrounding it more fascinating than the actual program though.

Kasabian
04-04-2012, 09:39 AM
People don't watch wrestling expressly to see people hurt. One thing I can't stand is when people judge it purely on it being "fake", which is an awful word to describe it. Yes, everything is pre-determined, but the talent it requires is unbelievable and there is incredible artistry in what they do in the ring. Think of it like an action movie. The drama, the storylines, the action... They beat the hell out of their bodies every single night. They've got a tougher schedule than any other job I can possibly think of and are most likely the hardest working athletes in the world, but often don't get the credit they deserve.

This pretty much sums it up.

It's not just people beating the hell out of each other, it's professional athletes pushing themselves further than any other.

Vause
04-04-2012, 09:44 AM
This pretty much sums it up.

It's not just people beating the hell out of each other, it's professional athletes pushing themselves further than any other.

Amen to this Tom. As you hear them say, they work more or less every day and they're only home like 2 weeks out the whole year. You have to be so fit and aware of what you're doing in order to land the moves correctly, otherwise you're injured. I respect them all so much and how they stay in character on twitter etc.

Milarz
04-04-2012, 10:20 AM
There have been a lot of wrestlers post up a video or an interview of them saying how there is a story side & there is a real side. Jericho was also one of them a year back. There are a lot of fake strikes & moves, but also a lot of "real" strikes and a few real moves. Clotheslines are complete real, i've been knocked out by one in a match, someone else has also, depends who your opponent is. Drop kicks are real, especially when they aim for your face. All the weapons are complete real & so on.

Samantha
04-04-2012, 05:42 PM
I prefer playing a wrestling game as opposed to watching wrestling. I know some of the rules and I just improvise on the games but I don't really get it ultimately.

Adam
06-04-2012, 12:24 PM
There are no rules, it's not a competative sport. Think of it like athletic theatre.

Love how my post got deleted as well.

luce
06-04-2012, 01:42 PM
I don't get it, if it's fake then what is the point?? Like do they actually get hurt and what do they teach people who watch it especially children who don't know that's it fake. I just don't see the point other than possible entertainment purposes from some people. I guess the money it makes for some people means that it won't be going away.

Adam
06-04-2012, 01:51 PM
What is the point in movies?
What is the point in TV?

That's all 'fake'. So... Much... Ignorance.

kitten
06-04-2012, 02:03 PM
i don't get it.

Kasabian
06-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Like do they actually get hurt

Yes. Yes they do.
You think, if you lift someone above your head and slam them down(suplex), they could damage any part of their body/back etc. The injuries are real.

:odey:
06-04-2012, 02:44 PM
I think as far as 'Entertainment' goes, it fits perfectly in the with the 'rules', and I think it's a great thing to watch for some people...

peteyt
06-04-2012, 03:53 PM
I used to watch it when I was younger and when I found out it was fake, I was really shocked. I don't watch it now, I don't really like it anymore. I got bored of watching grown guys to beat the crap out of each other to go along with a ready made storyline. If there was a hint of realness to it, like the person who won wasn't decided beforehand, I might be more interested

Forgot I'd made this post ha but this is exactly how I feel. I don't mind some fake stuff the problem is its all fake. It's basically like going okay lets have a race but you need to let me win. I saw people complaining about some fighters being bad on Facebook and I'm there thinking well that's how they are playing it out but they talk like it's a game of football and they are playing it bad.

How do they decide who win's though - What if two people wanted to win the match.

Kasabian
06-04-2012, 04:38 PM
It's all scripted, like in a soap. They will normally have the fans favourite win, unless they want to cause shock/controversy. It's not about a wrestler wanting to win the match.

luce
07-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Yes. Yes they do.
You think, if you lift someone above your head and slam them down(suplex), they could damage any part of their body/back etc. The injuries are real.

So what bits of it are fixed then

Kasabian
07-04-2012, 06:20 PM
So what bits of it are fixed then

The outcome of the match is pre-determined. It's pretty much like a soap opera script.

beth
07-04-2012, 06:28 PM
but don't people bet on the wrestling?!?!? is it fair to bet on a predecided outcome omg what a scandal.

Kasabian
07-04-2012, 07:34 PM
but don't people bet on the wrestling?!?!? is it fair to bet on a predecided outcome omg what a scandal.

No people don't bet on the wrestling. Although, they accepted bets for Wrestlemania.

beth
07-04-2012, 07:37 PM
oh that must be it then, i saw people talking about betting on wrestlemania.

luce
09-04-2012, 10:23 AM
The outcome of the match is pre-determined. It's pretty much like a soap opera script.

Ahh ok so the bits i've seen like before the matches is all scripted. I get it now. Don't even want to know the difference between Wrestalmania (or whatever) and WWE or whatever else there is :P

Kasabian
09-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Ahh ok so the bits i've seen like before the matches is all scripted. I get it now. Don't even want to know the difference between Wrestalmania (or whatever) and WWE or whatever else there is :P

Haha :)
Wrestlemania is like the FA Cup/Champions League of the WWE. It's a pay-per-view and a showcase, it's the biggest wrestling event of the year. WWE is just the name of the promotion(There's WWE,TNA, NJPW loads more). :)

Richie
18-04-2012, 03:10 PM
I used to watch wwf / wwe but then lost interest as i got older but now i do watch uvc

Adam
18-04-2012, 10:33 PM
I used to watch wwf / wwe but then lost interest as i got older but now i do watch uvc

Watching conservatory windows is interesting, yes.

FlyingJesus
18-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Let's face it, anything with Dwayne Johnson in it HAS to be good

RockyHorror
21-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Nothing more I love than two sweaty guys going at it

Adam
21-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Wrestling is fake and gay.

David
21-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Wrestling is fake and gay.

NO U R WRONG IT IZ REAL AS CAN B

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!