PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this is "fine"?

MKR&*42
25-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Mk,

Our maths teacher (is not a good teacher at all) had supposedly taught us everything we needed to know in the course and it's now basically just revision/past papers etc. in class. So, we do a mock paper from 2011 (or 2010 idk) and in there is a question about finding out the area of a triangle (not equilateral) with only 1 side's measurement and 2 angles given; there's also a question later on about Circle Theorems.

We had not been taught how to work out those 2 questions at all - Basically, we weren't taught the Sine + Cosine rule nor Circle Theorems - because, and I quote my teacher on this, he "Didn't think they would come up in the exam."

Do you not find this to be completely stupid? Those questions were of the higher grades and each worth about 5 marks (a lot more marks than most of the other questions on the test) meaning we would have lost those marks/not gained them if it had been a real exam. I mean, fair enough in some subjects they can look at what hasn't appeared on papers for a few years and maybe hint at us to possibly revise it in case it does come up (e.g. on an R.E exam, abortion hasn't appeared in an exam since 2004 so there could be a slightly higher chance it appears in a 2012 exam but not a definite chance), but completely missing out topics surely isn't that fair upon students?

The worst part is, he couldn't even do the theorem himself for a while x.x Took him a good 20 minutes to actually remember what he had to do. He also did not explain the Cosine or Sine rule clearly enough, so literally no-one in the class got what he was saying? :S

Do you think it's really fair for him to have just missed that topic out? I'm not even sure if he's going to teach us it now, but I really would have preferred for him to teach us not a few weeks before my actual exam x.x

Samantha
25-04-2012, 08:12 PM
I remember for my technology exam we got told that this question is always on, always, always, always and it wasn't in the same way we'd been taught. If there were two ways they could appear then they should have explained.

I don't think it's fair on you, surely it should be in the specification that you need to learn for the exam so I would inform the head of department if I were you, tell them what the teacher said and tell them what happened, how long they took to work it out and everything then maybe the head of the departent could come in your lesson once or have you after school to inform you of it (if they know). You could also look at past papers and see how often those questions came up.

Although I don't think it's fair I think you should research it on the internet and absorb it how you usually do with other material and hope for the best. How long is it until the exam? Also if it was on the mock the teacher should have read through it first imo.

beth
25-04-2012, 08:14 PM
everyone makes mistakes, and i wouldn't dwell on this or let it matter to you TOO much because yr school will take yr teachers side (always).

just take it as a lesson and further research everything.

Rhw
25-04-2012, 08:35 PM
It's a teacher's job to provide you with their knowledge and to guide you to a level which helps you for fill your maximum potential in the exam. The teacher should also understand everything that the course offers and be able to recite and teach it all without struggle, especially at the level your studying at.

So to be fair I think that it isn't 'fine'. But the levels of teaching are so diverse and we can't expect all teachers to be perfect. I guess you'll have to revise extra hard and attempt to research and learn them yourself. Good luck.

Teabags
25-04-2012, 09:24 PM
everyone makes mistakes, and i wouldn't dwell on this or let it matter to you TOO much because yr school will take yr teachers side (always).

just take it as a lesson and further research everything.
Agree with Beth really. Cosine and Sine rules are really easy anyway, just have to put the numbers in a formula. Sure you'll do fine.
Also if this is A-level Maths, didn't you learn it at GCSE?
And if you are doing GCSE's, the good news is the questions are easier to apply.

Charlie
25-04-2012, 09:31 PM
I don't think it is fine. The teacher should have an idea of what is to come in your exam and prepare you for it and maybe even the things that might show up, just in case and it isn't right that it took him 20 minutes to figure out a question that he expected you to answer when he hadn't taught you on it.

lizzieTBH.
25-04-2012, 09:53 PM
That's not fine, it sucks. I don't know what exam board you're on (or what I'm on for that matter) but there's always been one with cos, tan or sin on (cosine rule) and we've spent so long on them. But I'm sure there's some things you've learnt that we haven't.

I used to think my teacher was bad when infact it was just the atmosphere and now people have got a C/B and are finishing maths it's a lot better.

Maybe try looking to download a program called MathsWatch? It costs but you might be able to find it online for free. It's got hundreds of videos that are well explained and they really helped me revise for my exam I had in March and I got a B when I've never got that in a practice exam. That is if you're worried about your grade, I personally would be if I wasn't being taught properly.

GirlNextDoor15
26-04-2012, 01:12 PM
im gonna be extremely honest right here. dont care its rude or whatev.

it happens all the time here. dont rely so much on your teachers(thats the prob i notice among students) and I kinda expect what you're gonna write. dont expect to be spoon fed all the time!!

have you heard of '40% comes from your teacher and the other 60% comes from you'?
GET IT? GET IT?
:3

Mark
26-04-2012, 04:22 PM
im gonna be extremely honest right here. dont care its rude or whatev.

it happens all the time here. dont rely so much on your teachers(thats the prob i notice among students) and I kinda expect what you're gonna write. dont expect to be spoon fed all the time!!

have you heard of '40% comes from your teacher and the other 60% comes from you'?
GET IT? GET IT?
:3

That's a stupid answer. His teacher has missed a whole topic and you're saying he shoulnt be spoon fed?! He's not even been taught it therefore how can he possibly do it by himself?
Imo the education system nowadays is horrid, teachers get told when they're being assessed so they try their best to impress. Yet no one but the kids being taught actually know how good their teacher is.

GirlNextDoor15
26-04-2012, 04:30 PM
That's a stupid answer. His teacher has missed a whole topic and you're saying he shoulnt be spoon fed?! He's not even been taught it therefore how can he possibly do it by himself?
Imo the education system nowadays is horrid, teachers get told when they're being assessed so they try their best to impress. Yet no one but the kids being taught actually know how good their teacher is.

Well, you are stupid for not knowing the importance of learning ahead of your class and when you dont know certain topics etc. you blame the teachers. dont u learn cosine rule etc. in gcse? its a basic thing in maths and you certainly cant 'blame' your teacher for missing that out. i think its even in textbooks. just a matter of u wanna learn it by yourself or wait till the teacher teaches u. simple.

FlyingJesus
26-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Why are people banging on about A levels when according to Intersocial's profile he's 16 and is therefore more likely to be doing GCSEs? It's certainly not right for a teacher to be skipping important parts of a syllabus on the false pretence of it being "unlikely" to come up in the exam. There's not a lot he can do about it other than teach himself from other sources, but it still doesn't make sense to say that he ought to already know it from GCSEs if that's what he's doing now

Inseriousity.
26-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Don't think it's fine at all. Missing out whole topics based on a prediction is just wrong. By sounds of it, the honest answer was more likely to sound like 'because I'd rather not teach it' rather than it not coming up. Despite that, there isn't really much you can do but to try and get to grips with it yourself. Use things like bbc revision and the various other maths sites for gcses that are around (been a while so can't remember what mine was called but you probably know what I'm refering to :P). Can't forget that teachers are human too though so the whole struggling with a subject they don't like that much/less familiar with should've been expected really.

Samantha
26-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Don't think it's fine at all. Missing out whole topics based on a prediction is just wrong. By sounds of it, the honest answer was more likely to sound like 'because I'd rather not teach it' rather than it not coming up. Despite that, there isn't really much you can do but to try and get to grips with it yourself. Use things like bbc revision and the various other maths sites for gcses that are around (been a while so can't remember what mine was called but you probably know what I'm refering to :P). Can't forget that teachers are human too though so the whole struggling with a subject they don't like that much/less familiar with should've been expected really.

Mymaths and SamLearning could be good in this case, not sure if they do the rules etc but your school might have logins for both :).

Mark
26-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Well, you are stupid for not knowing the importance of learning ahead of your class and when you dont know certain topics etc. you blame the teachers. dont u learn cosine rule etc. in gcse? its a basic thing in maths and you certainly cant 'blame' your teacher for missing that out. i think its even in textbooks. just a matter of u wanna learn it by yourself or wait till the teacher teaches u. simple.

I wouldn't say that is important at all as it's the teacher's job to teach you everything you'll need to know for the exam as well as fit it all in, that's their job... If it's 'basic maths' surely the teacher would have no problem teaching it? However that is not the case. From what I remember (however I live in scotland) they give you the Sine and Cosine equations at the start of the exam paper. But best to look over them during the weekend or something.
In terms of the whole teaching yourself, it's all well and good if you understand it. But when you have another 7 subjects on at the same time then teaching yourself and staying ahead of the class is a hard task to do.

Empired
26-04-2012, 06:47 PM

I thought the idea was for a teacher to teach you.

It's certainly not fine Warren, you actually really need to learn it from someone, even if your lovely teacher can't help.

lizzieTBH.
26-04-2012, 06:57 PM

Students barely do their homework and you expect them to look up topics and learn themselves?

Samantha
26-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Am I the only one whose never been taught the cosine or sine rule? I'm guessing getting moved down prevented me from learning it (even though I got a B in my other maths paper I still got moved down but meh).

Anyway, I'd take some replies on here Warren and see what you can do with it.

MKR&*42
26-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Ok I am here to reply. Let me just quote some people xx

---------- Post added 26-04-2012 at 08:18 PM ----------

Students barely do their homework and you expect them to look up topics and learn themselves?

Although I would complain, it's a very true stereotype lol. But considering exams are coming up, I'm trying to do everything possible :P Unfortunately, some other people don't take that attitude.

Mymaths and SamLearning could be good in this case, not sure if they do the rules etc but your school might have logins for both :).

Tried to find it on MyMaths earlier and got a bit confused lol. I do have a SamLearning account but it's mainly revision compared to teaching, nevertheless I'll try give it a try. Thanks Sam

Why are people banging on about A levels when according to Intersocial's profile he's 16 and is therefore more likely to be doing GCSEs? It's certainly not right for a teacher to be skipping important parts of a syllabus on the false pretence of it being "unlikely" to come up in the exam. There's not a lot he can do about it other than teach himself from other sources, but it still doesn't make sense to say that he ought to already know it from GCSEs if that's what he's doing now

Yes I am doing GCSEs :P

---

Thanks for the replies everyone x I guess I'll try and crack this Circle Theorem thing lol, praying that I can actually remember it for the exam.

Thanks again xxx

Samantha
26-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Ok I am here to reply. Let me just quote some people xx

---------- Post added 26-04-2012 at 08:18 PM ----------

Although I would complain, it's a very true stereotype lol. But considering exams are coming up, I'm trying to do everything possible :P Unfortunately, some other people don't take that attitude.

Tried to find it on MyMaths earlier and got a bit confused lol. I do have a SamLearning account but it's mainly revision compared to teaching, nevertheless I'll try give it a try. Thanks Sam

Yes I am doing GCSEs :P

---

Thanks for the replies everyone x I guess I'll try and crack this Circle Theorem thing lol, praying that I can actually remember it for the exam.

Thanks again xxx

Good luck but don't forget to study the other questions too xD.

MKR&*42
26-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Good luck but don't forget to study the other questions too xD.

I'm not that absent-minded :P. And yeah, SamLearning was just revision - did manage to find some helpful sources about Circle Theorems though :D Writing down notes irl + then'll start on the Sine + Cosine rule (ik it's at the start of an exam paper but it still confuses me lol).

Rixion
26-04-2012, 08:45 PM
When I was doing Maths my teacher missed out on teaching sin, cos and tan graphs and the last questions- usually being 6-8 markers citing the excuse it's no point teaching it if you're all likely to forget and once studying these myself it's easy to grasp them so I'll advise you to look at the syllabus and try self teach some topics yourself or ask your teacher to go over them, it's all about commitment really.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!