PDA

View Full Version : Mods on Insurance.

Camy
26-04-2012, 12:43 AM
Hey,
I really want a mini cooper s, grew up wanting one, and decided to look at some for my next car. Found one, but the insurance is like 3 times of an equilavent, say punto, and just decided to leave it.
I then found this http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/mini-cooper/98955890 and I'm really considering it, but I just want to get a rough idea of how much of the work that's been done I'd need to declare, how much it costs, and how easy is it to get away without declaring it? I imagine it's fairly easy until you crash?
But yeah, any help would be good, ta.

tdi
26-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Declare it, all of it. If you don't declare modifications you might as well not have insurance at all as it's void anyway.

Camy
26-04-2012, 12:59 AM
Thanks for quick reply.
So I just went and changed my quote on the insurance to add all the mods, and my quotes have went down by about £200?? Makes no sense..

Lee
26-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks for quick reply.
So I just went and changed my quote on the insurance to add all the mods, and my quotes have went down by about £200?? Makes no sense..

Your saving money by havings mods?

Camy
26-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Your saving money by havings mods?
Yeah! It makes no sense to me.

Top one is with all mods, middle is mods, but i forgot about the tinted windows and the bottom is the quote before mods.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s129/WiiCamy/quote.png

myke
10-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Yeah! It makes no sense to me.

Top one is with all mods, middle is mods, but i forgot about the tinted windows and the bottom is the quote before mods.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s129/WiiCamy/quote.png

Which comparison site is that?

j0rd
10-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Make sure you entered all the same details and you have when you didn't declare mods, maybe you made a mistake?

Try some of these, you may need to go to them direct but they often do some good deals and don't tend to mind mods as much as other companies:
Aviva, Direct Line, Elephant and Adrian Flux

Try to add as many people to the named drivers as possible (parents/siblings), also you could pick up a copy of Fast Car magazine from a local store, they normally have unknown insurance companies in the back pages who can do some good deals.

redtom
10-05-2012, 12:01 PM
High class mods show that you love the car and are most likely you will take more car of it, tinny exhaust boxes and crap like that show your a *** head and will most likely crash. Insurance quotes will reflect this.

How old are you/how long have you been driving them quotes are pretty decent compared to anything I could get :'(

Camy
11-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Which comparison site is that?

Parkers (https://insurance.parkers.co.uk/motorquoter/yourdetails.aspx?ParkersGuid=&ReferrerRef=88286722-f213-416e-ab0f-670b775908f1)

Make sure you entered all the same details and you have when you didn't declare mods, maybe you made a mistake?
Defo the same details, I saved the quote and just added the mods to it.

Try some of these, you may need to go to them direct but they often do some good deals and don't tend to mind mods as much as other companies:
Aviva, Direct Line, Elephant and Adrian Flux

Try to add as many people to the named drivers as possible (parents/siblings), also you could pick up a copy of Fast Car magazine from a local store, they normally have unknown insurance companies in the back pages who can do some good deals.
Might try and look around at some of those, any cheaper than £700 would be amazing. And yeah, I have me as the car owner/main driver and my mum and dad as named drivers.

High class mods show that you love the car and are most likely you will take more car of it, tinny exhaust boxes and crap like that show your a *** head and will most likely crash. Insurance quotes will reflect this.

How old are you/how long have you been driving them quotes are pretty decent compared to anything I could get :'(
That's true I guess, had never thought about it like that. It has the cooper s bodykit/hood, alloys, tinted windows and different seats, but nothings been done to the engine/exhaust, so that must be why its cheaper.
And, I'm 19, been driving 2 years in march just gone.

Swearwolf
11-05-2012, 02:41 PM
tinted windows are often seen as increased security so sometimes it goes down

redtom
11-05-2012, 06:04 PM
That's true I guess, had never thought about it like that. It has the cooper s bodykit/hood, alloys, tinted windows and different seats, but nothings been done to the engine/exhaust, so that must be why its cheaper.
And, I'm 19, been driving 2 years in march just gone.

Crazy how much how long you've been driving effects it, I've been driving just under a year and my quotes are all 5 times yours :'(

Camy
12-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Crazy how much how long you've been driving effects it, I've been driving just under a year and my quotes are all 5 times yours :'(
Yeah, it's crazy, my first car the insurance was like twice/three times the cost of the actual car. I've been stuck with fairly crap ones until this one aswell, and it's still 10 years old this year.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!