PDA

View Full Version : Does Religion help promote Peace?

Sharon
26-05-2012, 06:08 PM
I have to answer this question for an assessment and to hit higher marks I'm going to have to show both sides of reasoning and other peoples opinions.

I'd appreciate if some people could answer this question. Some reasoning I could think to put in are wars, individual people and the 'just war' theories. I have no idea how to expand on these ideas though, but the criteria list says to make references to specific religions.

+REP to all contributions x

Neversoft
26-05-2012, 09:01 PM
I think the question is a bit too broad considering how diverse religion is and just how much distance there is between various beliefs. But I don't think religion in general promotes peace, especially when you consider how many conflicts are a result of differing religions or extremist religious views. The problem is most religions promote peace as obtainable (and the difference between right and wrong) in different ways. I think the only 'religion' that promotes out-and-out peace and love is Buddhism. Perhaps if there were one religion, maybe the question could be considered without being so vague, but as an overall entity, religion seems to cause just as much problems as it claims to solve.

Paige.
27-05-2012, 09:44 AM
In some ways no and in some ways yes.
Some Christians are pacifists because one of the 10 commandments clearly says 'Do not murder' and they also argue that Jesus' teaching and example was always non-violence. He taught to 'turn the other cheek' and to 'love your enemies'. Also, some Christians simply object to being part of the suffering of innocent people as 90% of casualties in modern warfare are civilians.
In the 13th century St. Thomas Aquinas created the Just War Theory, a set of conditions by which war would be acceptable to Christians and I think this doesn't promote peace as it's telling the Christians that war and violence is acceptable, although only in these conditions.
Another reason why I don't think religion helps to promote peace is that Jesus 'drove' the traders from the temple, and threw over their stalls and this shows Christians that it's okay to become angry in the face of suffering and oppression, just as Jesus did.
The main religion that I think does not help to promote peace is Islamic.
For Muslims a Holy War is the same as the Christian Just War. However, Islam is different to Christianity in that it has no teaching on pacifism or 'turning the other cheek.' Muslims have to fight as a duty. It is considered 'Holy' because it is sanctioned by Allah.
The rules on war is clearly laid out in the Qur'an and Islam permits fighting in the following circumstances: In self-defence, In defence of religion, and/or in defence of those who have been expelled from their homes. The teaching I think shows that Islam is the religion that does not help promote peace is the Qur'an teaches that anyone who dies fighting in a 'Just War' will go straight to Heaven and be rewarded. Also, the Qur'an teaches that Muslims must defend themselves and I think some Muslims may take this to the extreme and use this as an excuse in some occasions.
Personally, I think some religions, such as Christianity, help promote peace but as a whole I don't think religion in general helps to promote peace. For example, I don't think the holocaust would've happened if religion wasn't around as the 'Jews' wouldn't of been any group of people or segregated as the Jews as there wouldn't of been religion so 'Jews' wouldn't exist. Although, I think obviously Hitler had severe psychological problems and may have targeted some other 'group' of people, for example men with beards or something idk but you get what I mean and would've blamed that group of people but I think it wouldn't of happened because he wouldn't of thought 'Oh that Jewish guy is stealing or doing such and such' and prejudged all of the Jewish people.
Another reason why I don't think religion helps to promote peace is that it causes so many wars and arguments and some people think it's okay as, for example, Islam permits Muslims to fight in defence of their religion and this causes yet more wars and arguments which wouldn't happen if there was no religion and teachings as they wouldn't have to fight in defence of their religion because there wouldn't be one. I agree with fighting in self-defence but I still think this does not promote peace.
I hope this helped :)

GirlNextDoor15
27-05-2012, 02:48 PM
In some ways no and in some ways yes.
Some Christians are pacifists because one of the 10 commandments clearly says 'Do not murder' and they also argue that Jesus' teaching and example was always non-violence. He taught to 'turn the other cheek' and to 'love your enemies'. Also, some Christians simply object to being part of the suffering of innocent people as 90% of casualties in modern warfare are civilians.
In the 13th century St. Thomas Aquinas created the Just War Theory, a set of conditions by which war would be acceptable to Christians and I think this doesn't promote peace as it's telling the Christians that war and violence is acceptable, although only in these conditions.
Another reason why I don't think religion helps to promote peace is that Jesus 'drove' the traders from the temple, and threw over their stalls and this shows Christians that it's okay to become angry in the face of suffering and oppression, just as Jesus did.
The main religion that I think does not help to promote peace is Islamic.
For Muslims a Holy War is the same as the Christian Just War. However, Islam is different to Christianity in that it has no teaching on pacifism or 'turning the other cheek.' Muslims have to fight as a duty. It is considered 'Holy' because it is sanctioned by Allah.
The rules on war is clearly laid out in the Qur'an and Islam permits fighting in the following circumstances: In self-defence, In defence of religion, and/or in defence of those who have been expelled from their homes. The teaching I think shows that Islam is the religion that does not help promote peace is the Qur'an teaches that anyone who dies fighting in a 'Just War' will go straight to Heaven and be rewarded. Also, the Qur'an teaches that Muslims must defend themselves and I think some Muslims may take this to the extreme and use this as an excuse in some occasions.
Personally, I think some religions, such as Christianity, help promote peace but as a whole I don't think religion in general helps to promote peace. For example, I don't think the holocaust would've happened if religion wasn't around as the 'Jews' wouldn't of been any group of people or segregated as the Jews as there wouldn't of been religion so 'Jews' wouldn't exist. Although, I think obviously Hitler had severe psychological problems and may have targeted some other 'group' of people, for example men with beards or something idk but you get what I mean and would've blamed that group of people but I think it wouldn't of happened because he wouldn't of thought 'Oh that Jewish guy is stealing or doing such and such' and prejudged all of the Jewish people.
Another reason why I don't think religion helps to promote peace is that it causes so many wars and arguments and some people think it's okay as, for example, Islam permits Muslims to fight in defence of their religion and this causes yet more wars and arguments which wouldn't happen if there was no religion and teachings as they wouldn't have to fight in defence of their religion because there wouldn't be one. I agree with fighting in self-defence but I still think this does not promote peace.
I hope this helped :)

what a biased opinion. islamic is not a religion, first and foremost. islam is and imho, almost all religions including, christianity, islam, buddhism and hinduism promote peace. what you see in wars now are mainly conspiracies which have been using religion as an excuse. to correct you, Qur'an also teaches their followers to not kill women, children, elders, innocent civilians, plants and animals. their followers are also not allowed to destroy other holy places(no matter it's islam or other religions). in history, if their enemies were caught, they must teach a child to read/write/speak 10 words and they will be set free. i forgot what war was that. qur'an also states that if enemies offer peace talks in wars, the followers must accept the offer and stop the war.
hence,

(Qur'an 2:193) "If they seek peace, then you seek peace. And trust in God for He is the One that hears and knows all things." (Qur'an 8:61).
other than that,

Suicide bombing and killing one's own self is undoubtedly forbidden in Islam (Qu'ran 4:29)

Holy Prophet said: "Do not harm yourself or injure others"; "Do not wish death even on the death bed" (Bukhari & Muslim).

"Hurt no one so that no one may hurt you. Remember that you will indeed meet your Lord, and that He will indeed reckon your deeds." (From the last sermon of Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him).

Therefore, if they leave you alone, refrain from fighting you, and offer you peace, then God gives you no excuse in fighting them". (Qur'an 4:90. Muslims are told, " If they resort to peace, so shall you, and put your trust in God" (Qur'an 8:61).

and the link is
http://www.inglewhite.net/pfp/sajid_islam_and_ethics_of_war_and_peace.htm

however, religious texts are always changed in order to suit globalization and world modernization as well as the evolution of culture, humans etc.
so, the blame is on the culprits who changed the texts. not the religions as you evidently cannot blame them. what actually changes is human behaviours which caused wars. not religions. if you still insist on saying islam religion is at fault, then you can also blame other religions as well.

I personally have little faith in God but what you said are just invalid for this debate and so, I would like to correct you for that.

Paige.
27-05-2012, 03:06 PM
what a biased opinion. islamic is not a religion, first and foremost. islam is and imho, almost all religions including, christianity, islam, buddhism and hinduism promote peace. what you see in wars now are mainly conspiracies which have been using religion as an excuse. to correct you, Qur'an also teaches their followers to not kill women, children, elders, innocent civilians, plants and animals. their followers are also not allowed to destroy other holy places(no matter it's islam or other religions). in history, if their enemies were caught, they must teach a child to read/write/speak 10 words and they will be set free. i forgot what war was that. qur'an also states that if enemies offer peace talks in wars, the followers must accept the offer and stop the war.

and the link is
http://www.inglewhite.net/pfp/sajid_islam_and_ethics_of_war_and_peace.htm

however, religious texts are always changed in order to suit globalization and world modernization as well as the evolution of culture, humans etc.
so, the blame is on the culprits who changed the texts. not the religions as you evidently cannot blame them. what actually changes is human behaviours which caused wars. not religions. if you still insist on saying islam religion is at fault, then you can also blame other religions as well.

I personally have little faith in God but what you said are just invalid for this debate and so, I would like to correct you for that.

Well, I got most of this information from my Ethics revision guide from the topic of War and Peace and put in some different opinions and ideas to help Shaz. I put Islamic as the section on it didn't have the title for the name of the religion so guessed as idrk, again I posted that all to help Shaz as she asked.... I've simply said some of the reasons and teachings which makes me think Islam does not promote peace so how am I wrong? I'm not I'm entitled to my opinion as is everyone else. Also how am I saying Islam is at fault? I'm not I was stating the teachings that make me have the opinion of religion not promoting peace.
What I have said is not 'invalid' for this debate as I have shown my reasons for my opinion and backed it up with teachings and examples so I would like to correct you on that.

FlyingJesus
27-05-2012, 03:12 PM
How is my opinion biased? I've got most of this information from my Ethics revision guide

Answered your own question, bias comes from only using one source instead of wide research :P

Paige.
27-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Answered your own question, bias comes from only using one source instead of wide research :P

Ohh haha! Idk I was just trying to get some information for Shaz from what I had and throw in a few opinions and views she could use in her assessment :)

Inseriousity.
27-05-2012, 03:51 PM
I disagree with Neversoft. I think religion in general does promote peace. Even if it is not explicitly stated, if you follow the general teachings of any religion, you will be a productive, law-abiding member of society because most religions are based on being good in this life to be rewarded in the afterlife.

On the other hand, religion is also something that is based on faith rather than something that is measurable. This means that there can never be one proven idea or theory as there is nothing empirical to test. This means that there can be disagreements about certain passages in the holy texts, disagreements about the theology etc and this can lead to conflict, whether that's war or the more subtle marginalisation that can occur (sub-communities forming, based on religion, within a wider society). My own opinion on this point is that people will always disagree on something and will merely find other reasons to maim and attack their supposed enemy.

AlexJRiley
27-05-2012, 04:16 PM
I think religion is a way of controlling the masses, it instills fear into them that says if you dont live a certain way you shall not be rewarded in life. It creates hatred of others because they dont live in the same way; for example with Muslim extremists they believe they'll be rewarded for doing Allahs bidding in the after life with 40 virgins in sacrifice of their own life, this can be interpreted in many ways for example sacrificing your life to save another i.e donating a vital organ but is generally taken by the extremists as taking another persons life who doesnt believe in muslamic law with their own.

Christians also use this fear to get people to do what they wish, the bible is used to promise a paradise in the afterlife if you live by the teachings of god but those who don't are heathens and will be damned to eternal punishment. The bible however is very contradictory one key example is that the devil is perceived as evil yet it is he who is trapped and tortures the wicked and sinful which would in reality make him a good person and God the bad person for holding him captive.

The ideas of religion causing war is semi true, religion breeds hatred of other religions which causes conflict and on a mass scale will expand into a war.

I also believe that religion is forced upon us in todays society, often more than not when I go into my local town centre there are people preaching to us about the ways of their god and how we will be damned to hell if we dont accept his ways, I often get cornered by these people trying to force religion down my throat and quite frankly it makes me want to join them less and less because its frightening and intimidated being pinned in a corner by people who are "being spoken to by god". Quite frankly if a scitzophrenic has me cornered i'm going to be worried.

These are just my own personal beliefs if anybody has a problem with them or me come to me directly please do not start an argument on the forum and moderators if the message is reported to be removed please post it to Shazzy; as she has requested my opinion and views on the matter.

GommeInc
27-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Depends. In general most do - Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism - basically the big ones. However, in order to promote peace all of them have to go against the grain to fulfill their beliefs in what peace actually is. It's a battle between extremism and conservatism. Both Christianity and Islam are guilty of extremism, and are the two big religions which openly practice it. However, extremists are, arguably, only the minority in organised religion. Islam is a huge religion and is often criticised as an extremist, cruel religion in the media when in actual fact it's a peaceful religion.

To cut an essay short:

You could say that religion in principle is peaceful, it's those who follow and interpret them that are not.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!