PDA

View Full Version : Satnav

Eric
07-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Sat Nav is a system that provide spoken directions telling you where to go. it comes in handy while you're driving as you won't have to look at a map.

do you have a sat nav in your car?

oh and i read this too

Researchers claim using a sat-nav could be making our driving worse. They reckon if drivers have too many instructions to listen to they could end up swerving, speeding or not noticing pedestrians.Researchers claim using a sat-nav could be making our driving worse. They reckon if drivers have too many instructions to listen to they could end up swerving, speeding or not noticing pedestrians.

what is your opinion?

Mathew
07-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Sure, we have two SatNavs. We bought the last one over in Florida for the American maps, haha.. it's so much cheaper to buy over there! :P

I enjoy going through the voices on them. We used to have the Queen telling us where to go ("One has reached one's destination") but now it's just a simple American lady ("Go right around the rotary, first exit")! I highly doubt they could make our driving worse. The whole point of a SatNav is that it tells you instructions well in advance so that you don't have to swerve. There's a speedometer on most SatNavs too... ours turns red when you're speeding. As for not noticing pedestrians, that's why there's the voice function - it's a lot safer than a map! :)

lawrawrrr
07-06-2012, 09:58 AM
We have a built-in sat nav in one of our cars and one which we keep in Florida, much easier to navigate with a satnav there! We're looking at buying British maps for it though, so we can use it in our other car here too.

I think it makes drivers incredibly lazy, they never learn where things are, and are then lost without directions, but actually makes the road safer as drivers aren't looking down at maps, either on phones or atlases.

GoldenMerc
07-06-2012, 11:21 AM
My headunit has a satnav, but im not paying a extra £300 for it :P
I generally just use my phone for the satnav :)

Recursion
07-06-2012, 11:43 AM
I don't have a fancy ass headunit like dad's car, so I just use my phone with Google's turn by turn Nav... integrates nicely with calls/music/maps using my handsfree kit.

Also, if instructions are clear and said soon enough, I don't see any problems with them... of course you always need to use common sense with them :P

Succubus
07-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Saw this on the news, any way I wouldn't think it will make peoples driving bad. Seeing as looking at a map every 5 mins is dangerous unless you pulled up every time you wanted too. If they were that concerned they'd ban them.

Metric1
07-06-2012, 04:42 PM
my cars always had a build in navigation system. my bmw is the only car that doesn't have it. my 2003 honda had it but my 2007 bmw doesn't.. go figure lol

myke
11-06-2012, 09:22 PM
I don't really have a sat nav as such, my phone does it so I just use my phone, it's really reliable... sometimes.

Robbie
11-06-2012, 09:44 PM
i use the tomtom app on my phone.

GommeInc
11-06-2012, 11:29 PM
I sort of agree, on small roads my driving is really messed up - it's not comfy at all! On large roads like the M25/M2, it's fine. I only really use it for the speedometre these days, and any new, exciting areas.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!