PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon

kuzkasate
10-06-2012, 05:33 PM
So now with the French Open sort of finished, the next Grand Slam is just around the corner - Wimbledon.

I always get excited when it comes to Wimbledon, probably because it's played in the UK and now its only around 2 weeks away :P

Will you be watching it? Maybe you're even lucky enough to go and see the games live? Any favourites to win?

dirrty
10-06-2012, 06:17 PM
2 weeks away? jesus, forgot it's almost that time of the year lol. yeah, i'll be watching

kuzkasate
10-06-2012, 06:21 PM
2 weeks away? jesus, forgot it's almost that time of the year lol. yeah, i'll be watching

Yeah I almost forgot, it's gone way too quick! Can still remember last years Wimbledon lol. I'll definitely be watching, I wanted tickets but looked on the site too late, applications close like November or something but hopefully this year I'll apply and get some :P Have you got any favourites going in you want to win?

Grig
10-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Sharapova women's. Djovovic men's.

Although I'll see if Roger or Rafa can pose a challenge. Will be interesting as the Olympics will be played at Wimbledon just weeks later!

dirrty
10-06-2012, 06:36 PM
don't really have any favourites tbf. i always root for either williams sisters though (not that they'd have any chances of winning anymore).

kuzkasate
10-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Sharapova women's. Djovovic men's.

Although I'll see if Roger or Rafa can pose a challenge. Will be interesting as the Olympics will be played at Wimbledon just weeks later!

Exactly the same for me! Sharapova and Djokovic :P So glad Maria's returned to No.1! I don't think Roger and Rafa can beat Novak on grass, Rafa has a chance on clay but on grass, never!

So excited for the Olympics too, I was too late again to buy a ticket, wanted to get semi-finals and finals :(

don't really have any favourites tbf. i always root for either williams sisters though (not that they'd have any chances of winning anymore).

urgh really? I can't stand the Williams sisters, don't really mind Venus but Serena just makes me cringe. I think they made a massive mistake returning to the sport after they retired... Venus simply get's beaten every tournament she goes to and Serena lost in the first round at the French Open this year, the first time that's happened so I think that says a lot.

Grig
10-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Grass is Roger's surface. But he needs a lot of work. He wasn't playing at his best during the French Open and even admitted it. He'll be fired for winning it.

I think for the women's final it may be Sharapova and Azarenka.

dirrty
10-06-2012, 06:51 PM
urgh really? I can't stand the Williams sisters, don't really mind Venus but Serena just makes me cringe. I think they made a massive mistake returning to the sport after they retired... Venus simply get's beaten every tournament she goes to and Serena lost in the first round at the French Open this year, the first time that's happened so I think that says a lot.
seems like they're both really injury prone. i guess this year (and probably the next one or two) will probably be the deciding factors in regards to which direction their careers take (retiring vs. continuing regardless). but i'd imagine them retiring would also dent their endorsement deals, so who knows lol.

kuzkasate
10-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Grass is Roger's surface. But he needs a lot of work. He wasn't playing at his best during the French Open and even admitted it. He'll be fired for winning it.

I think for the women's final it may be Sharapova and Azarenka.

Roger is good on grass but I still think Djokovic will win :P Well he is 31 this year I believe, so maybe it's time for him to go... I'd love a Sharapova vs Azarenka showdown for the final, I sense a real rivalry coming on here especially after Sharapova dominated Azarenka in the Stuttgart final.

seems like they're both really injury prone. i guess this year (and probably the next one or two) will probably be the deciding factors in regards to which direction their careers take (retiring vs. continuing regardless). but i'd imagine them retiring would also dent their endorsement deals, so who knows lol.

Yeah, well fair play to Venus she does have some terrible condition where she just randomly loses all her energy. But Serena, no excuses really! She did pull out the Rome tournament with back injury, but it wasn't anything serious and she said it was a precaution for the French, several days before the French Open started she said she felt better than ever, healthy and determined to win. I'm pretty sure this will be Venus' last year; she only played this year because she wanted to play in the Olympics and her ranking was too low, she she needed to boost that up. But I'm not sure about Serena any more, she's just not what she used to be.

Samantha
10-06-2012, 07:22 PM
I'll probably watch due to my mum not letting hardly anything on the tele for two weeks. I like tennis though overall so yes I will watch :D!

Grig
11-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Roger is good on grass but I still think Djokovic will win :P Well he is 31 this year I believe, so maybe it's time for him to go... I'd love a Sharapova vs Azarenka showdown for the final, I sense a real rivalry coming on here especially after Sharapova dominated Azarenka in the Stuttgart final.

Yeah, well fair play to Venus she does have some terrible condition where she just randomly loses all her energy. But Serena, no excuses really! She did pull out the Rome tournament with back injury, but it wasn't anything serious and she said it was a precaution for the French, several days before the French Open started she said she felt better than ever, healthy and determined to win. I'm pretty sure this will be Venus' last year; she only played this year because she wanted to play in the Olympics and her ranking was too low, she she needed to boost that up. But I'm not sure about Serena any more, she's just not what she used to be.

Which is good because the women's game was so unstable and not that interesting. It's been looking for a rivalry the past few years.

wixard
11-06-2012, 10:23 AM
every year for wimbledon im in France and me and like 5 old people always sit glued to the tv in the bar for days while the suns out, then straight after the final it starts to rain....

regardless i can't ******* wait. excited to actually play some tennis too

kuzkasate
11-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Which is good because the women's game was so unstable and not that interesting. It's been looking for a rivalry the past few years.

Yeah I agree, in all fairness I actually prefer the women's to the men's - I just find it more interesting. Like with the women, literally anything can happen - any one can win, whereas with the men you will always know who will end up in semis/finals and you can easily predict the winner of a match.

every year for wimbledon im in France and me and like 5 old people always sit glued to the tv in the bar for days while the suns out, then straight after the final it starts to rain....

regardless i can't ******* wait. excited to actually play some tennis too
Should go France for the French Open! I think I actually learnt more French through watching the French Open than I did at school :P But yeah, I'm extremely excited too! 2 weeks seems to long to wait :( & seriously, can you play tennis? Why am I so surprised LOL

Grig
12-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Yeah I agree, in all fairness I actually prefer the women's to the men's - I just find it more interesting. Like with the women, literally anything can happen - any one can win, whereas with the men you will always know who will end up in semis/finals and you can easily predict the winner of a match.

Should go France for the French Open! I think I actually learnt more French through watching the French Open than I did at school :P But yeah, I'm extremely excited too! 2 weeks seems to long to wait :( & seriously, can you play tennis? Why am I so surprised LOL

I disagree, that's bad for the women's game. Some finals were so one-sided and boring. Whilst in the men's it's dynamic and there's a real rivalry between the top 3. You really get into the game.

Plus some of the personalities in women's tennis nowadays are boring, do not have a flare sort of tennis to them.

kuzkasate
12-06-2012, 05:58 PM
I disagree, that's bad for the women's game. Some finals were so one-sided and boring. Whilst in the men's it's dynamic and there's a real rivalry between the top 3. You really get into the game.

Plus some of the personalities in women's tennis nowadays are boring, do not have a flare sort of tennis to them.

I'm enjoy the upcoming rivalry between women's players now :P But I don't find men's that more interesting because you just know who's going to win, sure the match might sometimes be a bit more interesting, but I don't really see the point when you know the outcome really. I enjoyed men's tennis more than women's a couple of years back, when Safin was around but around last year I sort of lost interest.

luce
14-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Incredible news that Watson has been given a wildcard this year so she doesn't need to qualify for the main draw. Really hope she does well, especially after nearly beating MS last year.

Really think she can make it big but needs to start getting further into the grand slams now to break into the scene.

wiktoria
14-06-2012, 05:12 PM
I'll definitely be watching. Looking forward to watch Sharapova and Nadal play.

kuzkasate
15-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Incredible news that Watson has been given a wildcard this year so she doesn't need to qualify for the main draw. Really hope she does well, especially after nearly beating MS last year.

Really think she can make it big but needs to start getting further into the grand slams now to break into the scene.

Yeah I was happy to see Watson get a wildcard, I think she's much better than Robson. Don't know why but I really dislike Robson. Watson is definitely an emerging top player, can't wait to see her in a few years time!

I'll definitely be watching. Looking forward to watch Sharapova and Nadal play.

I'll be following Sharapova and Djokovic! :P

ONLY 10 DAYS LEFT!!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!