PDA

View Full Version : Could be the end of Rangers in the SPL?

DPS
12-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Rangers will re-form as a new company after a creditors' deal was rejected by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.
It means clubs will have to vote on whether to re-admit Rangers to the Scottish Premier League.
HMRC rejected prospective owner Charles Green's bid to exit administration via a company voluntary arrangement giving creditors nine pence in the pound.
"The club will continue to operate as it has always done but in a new company structure," said the administrators.
Green, who said he was "hugely disappointed" by HMRC's decision, will now buy the club's assets for £5.5m and form a "newco".
"We will be liaising with the football authorities at the earliest opportunity to establish our position regarding the SPL," said Green, who will approach the Scottish Football Association and the SPL.
Rangers' footballing fate will be decided by their 11 fellow SPL members. There is an SPL board meeting at Hampden on Monday to discuss the league's inquiry into alleged dual contracts at Rangers.

They could hold a vote then if a newco proposal can be put together in time. Perhaps more realistic is for the 11 clubs to vote at the AGM next month.
In recent weeks clubs have expressed the dilemma they face: Rangers' presence in the SPL brings revenue through the turnstiles and from broadcast deals, but many fans have said they will not return if "sporting integrity" is not seen to be upheld.
These supporters have been in contact with their clubs to demand that they vote against Rangers playing in the SPL next season. Their preference is for Rangers to apply to join the Scottish Football League and to start again in the Third Division.
HMRC said that the sale of the club "is not being undermined, it simply takes a different route".
In a statement it said: "Liquidation will enable a sale of the football assets to be made to a new company, thereby ensuring that football will continue at Ibrox.
"It also means that the new company will be free from claims or litigation in a way which would not be achievable with a CVA. Rangers can make a fresh start."
Green's consortium had hoped to have its CVA - offering nine pence in the pound at best - approved by creditors when they meet at Ibrox on Thursday so that the club could exit administration in mid-July.
But Green needed major creditors HMRC and Ticketus, who had loaned money to owner Craig Whyte in exchange for future season ticket revenue, to vote in favour to avoid the assets being sold off.

"The solemn promise I can make to Rangers fans today is that this club will continue as Rangers Football Club and will continue to play at Ibrox Stadium," said Yorkshireman Green.
"I am hugely disappointed by the decision of HMRC not to support the CVA proposal and that disappointment will be felt acutely by Rangers fans across the world.
"Frankly, I do not see what benefit will be achieved by this decision. My consortium's offer for a CVA amounted to a total of £8.5m.
"Now that we will have to complete the purchase via the formation of a newco, the purchase price and therefore the amount available to creditors will be £5.5m.
"I can understand HMRC deciding that football clubs which do not pay their taxes need to be punished, but by effectively banning Rangers from Europe for three years all that will happen is that there will be less revenue generated by the club and consequently less money paid over to the taxman."
Rangers entered administration on 14 February and await the outcome of a First Tier Tax tribunal at the Court of Session in Edinburgh over unpaid taxes - the so-called "Big Tax Case".
If that decision goes against the club, it would mean a further bill of anything from £35m to £70m.
That would have reduced the pence-in-the-pound deal in the CVA to close to zero.
The club's total debts to unsecured creditors listed in the CVA was £55m, with HMRC accounting for £21.5m of that sum.
BBC Scotland has learned that administrators Duff & Phelps held a meeting with HMRC on Monday and were told of their decision.
Duff & Phelps say HMRC's decision was based on "its general policy of not agreeing to a CVA where there is strong evidence of non-compliance by a company with its tax liabilities".
They said HMRC had agreed to consider the CVA proposal along with all other options but decided that the club's level of indebtedness made it unacceptable.
The administrators say HMRC would also have rejected the other offers for the club that proposed a CVA.
Administrator Paul Clark added: "HMRC has taken the view that the public interest will be better served with the liquidation of The Rangers Football Club plc as a corporate entity."
The CVA required the approval of 75% or more in value of the creditors, and more than 50% in value of the members, voting on the resolution.
Under the terms of the deal struck by Green's consortium to buy Rangers, it will now proceed to purchase the business and assets of Rangers for £5.5m.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18407309

I may be a loyal Celtic fan, but i do hope all clubs vote to keep Rangers in the SPL, as them being out of it would make it boring.

Matthew
12-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Without Rangers the SPL would just become even more boring with a constant one-horse race to everything rather than a two horse race. I'm not sure though- it is sorta unfair on other clubs that have had to restart from the bottom division if rangers are allowed to remain in the SPL.

DPS
12-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Without Rangers the SPL would just become even more boring with a constant one-horse race to everything rather than a two horse race. I'm not sure though- it is sorta unfair on other clubs that have had to restart from the bottom division if rangers are allowed to remain in the SPL.

Tbh i see them out of the SPL. and alot of Rangers fans are starting to see it too.

FlyingJesus
12-06-2012, 03:03 PM
They wouldn't survive long anyway, considering the change in European spaces means that only the top club (which is always going to be Celtic) will get the much-needed cash from overseas competitions. If they manage to stay in SPL now they'll be completely unable to afford their players anyway so they may as well try to win the prestige of back-to-back promotions (if possible) rather than the shame of losing everything and having back-to-back relegations

Deak
12-06-2012, 03:08 PM
That would be bad for Scottish football, as it would mean Celtic would be constantly winning the championships...

If Rangers do re-brand then they shouldn't start within the SPL, and they should have to work there way back up.

Kasabian
13-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Having been a Rangers fan from birth, i've said since the news broke out, the best option was liquidating and forming a new club. The debt should never have been allowed to escalate that high, and Craig Whyte is a conman anyway - who should never have been allowed anywhere near the club.

I don't agree with the SPL voting wether to keep them in the league, I feel that we should be placed in division 3 and work our way back up.

luce
13-06-2012, 02:18 PM
It would be a loss to the already poor SPL however I think that they shoudln't be given special treatment because of their history, at the end of the day financial fair play and all that needs to be adhered to.

I really don't know what's going to happen but I think if the other clubs have to vote on it they will probably get kicked out because it gives other teams a shot at the title, growth and Europe which no one will turn down :-)

SackRace
13-06-2012, 04:37 PM
The SPL need Rangers in it. Celtic say they won't miss Rangers but surely no old firms, they will!

Being a Rangers fan since birth as Tom has said I would be happy to go to division 3 and easily make our way back up!

brandon
13-06-2012, 06:28 PM
I think they'll get to stay in the SPL as the SPL TV deal needs them.

DPS
25-06-2012, 10:22 AM
I think they'll get to stay in the SPL as the SPL TV deal needs them.

It's not up to the SPL.

It's down to the Chairman of the clubs that are in the SPL lol

Alot have openly said they wont vote for rangers to stay.

Kasabian
25-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Alot have openly said they wont vote for rangers to stay.

And good on them. We should be in Div 3. Simple as.

DPS
25-06-2012, 11:35 AM
And good on them. We should be in Div 3. Simple as.

Yeah and if the same ever happen to Celtic i would say the same thing, a team should have to prove themself.

Alba
26-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Having been a Rangers fan from birth, i've said since the news broke out, the best option was liquidating and forming a new club. The debt should never have been allowed to escalate that high, and Craig Whyte is a conman anyway - who should never have been allowed anywhere near the club.

I don't agree with the SPL voting wether to keep them in the league, I feel that we should be placed in division 3 and work our way back up.
David Murray had a huge part to play in all this aswell, he's the biggest reason why HMRC are after them. BBC recently did a decent documentary on the whole thing. The liquidation of Rangers is just the beginning, in the coming months we're going to see alot of people behind bars.

Kasabian
26-06-2012, 11:05 AM
David Murray had a huge part to play in all this aswell, he's the biggest reason why HMRC are after them. BBC recently did a decent documentary on the whole thing. The liquidation of Rangers is just the beginning, in the coming months we're going to see alot of people behind bars.

+1.

BBC Watchdog(I think...) did an article on Craig Whyte before he was at Rangers. He had his own hire company in 1990, which went bankrupt with debts of aroun £300,000. He was also a director at another company, whilst he was banned for seven years from doing so. Before the company went bust, they attempted to sell shares using false evaluations which had been signed off by fake auditors employed by Whyte. He was banned due to the failure of another company called Vital Holding, which failed to produce satisfactory acounts, there were several cases of other criminal acts put against him, including taking money from Re-Tex to pay a tax bill, that was never recieved by the inland revenue.

The guy is a conman, and should never been allowed anywhere near a football club.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!