PDA

View Full Version : Team GB: Olympic Football

Kasabian
28-06-2012, 11:56 AM
So, it's been revealed today that Ryan Giggs, Craig Bellamy and Micah Richards have been chosen as the 'over-aged' players for Team GB.

What are your thoughts?

Giggs is a superb left mid, and despite coming of age, he still has a natural talent. I don't rate Bellamy at all, bit of a journeyman in terms of clubs and hasn't impressed me since he was at Newcastle. Micah Richards is a rock, how he didn't get picked for England and Glenn Johnson did is beyond me.

Now for the main debate; Should Beckham have been picked for the squad?

In my opinion, yes. If you follow MLS, you'd known Beckham still has 'it'. Such a natural footballer if ever there was one. Ok, he hasn't got pace, but with the brain and ability he has, you don't need it. Pearce has gone on record saying he picked Richards over Beckham, because he felt he needed more defensive cover. You look at England, N.Ireland, Wales & Scotland, there are a hell of alot of good young defenders, so I don't think Richards was needed, and I would have chosen Beckham. Not to mention he played a strong part in the bid for the olympics, and also went on record to say he would love to captain the team. Shame.

DPS
28-06-2012, 12:16 PM
NO BECKHAM? R U KIDDING ME LMAOOOOO THIS IS GOING TO FAIL HARD

Suspective
28-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Shame for Beckham he's been denied one last 'hurrah' for his country. He has the passion and the determination and that's something Team GB could have used well. I suspect with the three they've picked they might just see it as a chore, and be using it as a stop gap before their summer holiday.

Kasabian
02-07-2012, 04:48 PM
The team has been announced;

Squad: J Allen (Swansea), C Bellamy (Liverpool), R Bertrand (Chelsea), J Butland (Birmingham), S Caulker (Tottenham), T Cleverley (Manchester United), J Cork (Southampton), C Dawson (West Brom), R Giggs (Manchester United), A Ramsey (Arsenal), M Richards (Manchester City), D Rose (Tottenham), S Sinclair (Swansea), M Sordell (Bolton), J Steele (Middlesbrough), D Sturridge (Chelsea), N Taylor (Swansea), J Tomkins (West Ham).

Interesting squad to say the least. 13 English, 5 Welsh. Can name a few Scottish/N.Irish that could have been taken, but it was fairly obvious that it would be English bias.

Shockwave.2CC
02-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Wow! I'm surprised how many players from Swansea are in there

SackRace
02-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Why is it called "Team GB" when there's no Scotland players in it, it should be mixed.

Kasabian
02-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Why is it called "Team GB" when there's no Scotland players in it, it should be mixed.

It was never going to be a true Team GB, because there are better English players than Scottish. I thought they would have said a minimum from each country though.

luce
03-07-2012, 09:48 AM
There is that whole 3 over 23 players thing and Giggs Bel and Rich got the places. I would have taken Rich, because he didn't get picked in the Euro 2012 because he didn't really start for City in the latter parts of the season, but is still a very good defender. I wouldn't have thought twice about taking Giggs because he started for United as much as his age would allow him. So that leaves Bel out and Beckham in. He rarely started for Liverpool and when he came on to make and impact, he really didn't, it was Kuyt who was their impact striker so Bel was bad at his own role.

Also on him being captain, I can't think of a better candidate, who else would motivate all those U23 players who are young and building their game and give them a sense of pride for the Olympics than the man himself. He's been there and done it with United and probably was in his hay day when these players like Cleverly and co. were growing up.

However all this aside you can't help be weeping at the disparity in class between team GB and the Spanish team, who are second choice but still world class.

Still all the best, I will be following and supporting them, because I love football!

Ardemax
07-07-2012, 06:40 PM
I don't know why everyone is so outraged about Becks not being picked. I don't think he's got anything on the up and coming players in the PL and that's really why he hasn't been chosen. He has no "reserved right" to be in the team, so why does everyone believe he should have?

Sure, it would have been nice to see Beckham there just for the nostalgia element, but if you don't get picked I don't see why you should kick up a massive fuss about it like he did.

Had the Olympics been in London 4-8 years ago I think it would be a different story...

luce
08-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Giggs has been names captain of the team this morning. Can't say im surprised and obviously i'm happy because he's a legend at United - however let the debates begin!

j0rd
08-07-2012, 05:01 PM
3 Swansea players, the team with most players from a single club. Not bad for just completing the first season in the prem huh?

luce
09-07-2012, 09:14 AM
3 Swansea players, the team with most players from a single club. Not bad for just completing the first season in the prem huh?

Well yes in a way but they're hardly full internationals are they? But I think they're getting there. Be interesting to see how they fare this season without Rogers and his style of play.

j0rd
09-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Well yes in a way but they're hardly full internationals are they? But I think they're getting there. Be interesting to see how they fare this season without Rogers and his style of play.

What do you mean by full internationals?
I think Laudup will do equal if not better than Rodgers, he played the passing game at Mallorca and done them wonders. We'll see when the season starts though :)

Kasabian
09-07-2012, 11:31 AM

Either that the tournament isn't exactly a 'full international' tournament(which IMO , it is)
or that;
Joe Allen - 8 caps for wales
Scott Sinclair - 0 caps for england
Neil Taylor - 9 caps for wales
(not including youth)

luce
09-07-2012, 12:55 PM
I think Laudup will do equal if not better than Rodgers, he played the passing game at Mallorca and done them wonders. We'll see when the season starts though :)

yeah I have no idea about him so it will be good to see.

Either that the tournament isn't exactly a 'full international' tournament(which IMO , it is)
or that;
Joe Allen - 8 caps for wales
Scott Sinclair - 0 caps for england
Neil Taylor - 9 caps for wales
(not including youth)

And yeah the second one, i'm not questioning the credibility of the tournament - it's different but still an honour to play in and is significant. No team in Europe is sending their full squad because it's too much to ask of the players - especially those who have domestic campaigns in big leagues to consider but it should be good none the less. Also looking at the Spain squad, it's an insult to call it second choice!

-:Undertaker:-
09-07-2012, 01:03 PM
I have no interest in the Olympics or Football, but I have to say - I wish there was a British national football team. Whether I like it or not, football means a heck of a lot to some people - just a shame there isn't a national football team which would unite us and be rid of some of the pettiness between Scotland V England etc.

Ardemax
09-07-2012, 02:31 PM
I have no interest in the Olympics or Football, but I have to say - I wish there was a British national football team. Whether I like it or not, football means a heck of a lot to some people - just a shame there isn't a national football team which would unite us and be rid of some of the pettiness between Scotland V England etc.

I think if we had a British team (rather than an English team because, let's be honest, that's all that matters really) we could be top 5/3 easily.

We wouldn't have to rely on certain individuals to perform game after game if we had just as good substitutes to choose from. It would increase the level of competition in the squad to perform better to get picked in the starting 11...

luce
09-07-2012, 05:55 PM
I think if we had a British team (rather than an English team because, let's be honest, that's all that matters really) we could be top 5/3 easily.

We wouldn't have to rely on certain individuals to perform game after game if we had just as good substitutes to choose from. It would increase the level of competition in the squad to perform better to get picked in the starting 11...

Technically we're 4th best in the World already with England if you go by the obviously problematic FIFA rankings. However I couldn't disagree more with the idea. The whole point of having a national football team is just that? A national team. Making it team GB for anything other than the Olympics, which is a valid exception, is making it regional and some other countries could argue unfair. Say Eastern Europe could claim to united to better their chances etc. And before anyone mentions the Soviet Union - that's different because all the countries were essentially ruled by one government. If there was one GB parliament, essentially making us one country, then yes go ahead. But to combine the teams to make us stronger or to smooth over political conflicts isn't a valid reason!

Also realistically Bale would get in the starting line up but other than that the others would be fringe players at best. It would probably stunt the growth of some promising Irish, Scottish and Welsh talent because they wouldn't play regular international football as they wouldn't get a look in the team. They have only got in the Olympics team because the first choice England players are unavailable and even then they're in a convincing minority.

Ardemax
09-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Technically we're 4th best in the World already with England if you go by the obviously problematic FIFA rankings. However I couldn't disagree more with the idea. The whole point of having a national football team is just that? A national team. Making it team GB for anything other than the Olympics, which is a valid exception, is making it regional and some other countries could argue unfair. Say Eastern Europe could claim to united to better their chances etc. And before anyone mentions the Soviet Union - that's different because all the countries were essentially ruled by one government. If there was one GB parliament, essentially making us one country, then yes go ahead. But to combine the teams to make us stronger or to smooth over political conflicts isn't a valid reason!

Also realistically Bale would get in the starting line up but other than that the others would be fringe players at best. It would probably stunt the growth of some promising Irish, Scottish and Welsh talent because they wouldn't play regular international football as they wouldn't get a look in the team. They have only got in the Olympics team because the first choice England players are unavailable and even then they're in a convincing minority.

To be fair, after that Euro 2012 campaign, I think the Swansea team could teach the English team a bit about passing...

I understand where you're coming from but I just feel that everyone in the UK gets their hopes up on the English team to perform well and, except for some minor cases, they never do and we all re-live the disappointment year on year. Shouldn't there be more variety to choose from and more players to mix and match to hopefully achieve success? Just my feelings.

luce
09-07-2012, 08:14 PM
To be fair, after that Euro 2012 campaign, I think the Swansea team could teach the English team a bit about passing...

I understand where you're coming from but I just feel that everyone in the UK gets their hopes up on the English team to perform well and, except for some minor cases, they never do and we all re-live the disappointment year on year. Shouldn't there be more variety to choose from and more players to mix and match to hopefully achieve success? Just my feelings.

At the end of the day the England team surpassed expectations this year as they nearly made the semi's (penalties are harsh on any team because they are hit or miss regardless of what the media say). And if they continue progressing under Roy like they did in those few weeks before the Euro's I believe that the they could do us proud at the next world cup.

In regards to passing like Swansea, that style of football isn't a blueprint for absolute success. I don't believe that we will ever beat Spain at their own game, which is the passing game, because we have to accept that we don't have as good a players all over the pitch like they do. This doesn't mean we can't compete. Look at United this season taking City to the line when they out class us in regards to players in most positions if we're going to be black and white. Spain's amazing players are highlights by Ramos, a defender, taking an amazing penalty in the semi's and having some pretty sweet shots on goal.

Finally I don't think it would create much more competition initially but it could be true if they are integrated from grass roots youth level as maybe the players from the other countries receive the coaching and standards as in England but you just don't know. Anyway I think it's a pointless discussion because it will never happen.

Kasabian
20-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Team GB men and women are in action today. The women take on Sweden, kick off at 4pm on BBC1, meanwhile the men take on Brazil, kick off at 7:45pm.

Deak
20-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Is the mens game v Brazil on tele anywhere?

OllzIsTasty
20-07-2012, 03:15 PM
I find it that funny that my parents have tickets to watch two games of Olympic Football!

Kasabian
20-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Is the mens game v Brazil on tele anywhere?

Yeah both games on BBC1 mate.

I find it that funny that my parents have tickets to watch two games of Olympic Football!

Err, why? lol :s

OllzIsTasty
20-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Yeah both games on BBC1 mate.

Err, why? lol :s

Just random because they got them for free..

Kasabian
20-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Womens football is so ******* ****e.

Also, just saw the Brazilian lineup. Wow.

Deak
20-07-2012, 08:51 PM
that brazil line up was just brilliant. we'd better watch out for them in the next few world cups!

SackRace
20-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Everyone is getting free tickets cause no one is buying them lmao

GoldenMerc
21-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Everyone is getting free tickets cause no one is buying them lmao

Link me?

luce
23-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Womens football is so ******* ****e.

Also, just saw the Brazilian lineup. Wow.

Women's football is good to say that they get a fraction of the investment and coverage that the men do, they still win more than the men and get further. Also the Super League is going from strength to strength and when/if they get further than the men in the Olympics maybe they'll get a bit more recognition.

Kasabian
23-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Women's football is good to say that they get a fraction of the investment and coverage that the men do, they still win more than the men and get further. Also the Super League is going from strength to strength and when/if they get further than the men in the Olympics maybe they'll get a bit more recognition.

I watch full-time/part-time non league football week in, week out. The standard is much, much better and they probably get around the same investment/coverage as women. The tempo of womens football and standard of play, is terrible. Call it sexist, whatever you like, but womens football will never get much more recognition than they do now.

mrwoooooooo
23-07-2012, 06:20 PM
lol womens football, whatever the last england game was on tv was absolutely dire comparing it to league 2 football

and we have no chance of winning gold in the olympics.

FlyingJesus
23-07-2012, 11:45 PM
It's not even sexist to say that women's football is that much worse because it is genuinely the case in terms of skill and flair. That's like claiming it's elitist to say that rich people have more money.

Isn't the thing with Scotland and N. Ireland that they actually withdrew all their international players or something? That's the story I heard, it wouldn't shock me tbh and it's not like we're missing any superstars from them...

luce
24-07-2012, 08:52 AM
It's not sexist, I agree because the standard is much lower, I know that i'm not blind. However I also watch non-league football and the standard is higher again because men are playing it that's the point from a young age more time and effort is invested (and money in most cases) in the development of mens football. At school there is always at least 2/3 boys teams and at mine there wasn't even one girls team? Across my whole island schools don't do girls football so how do you expect the quality to improve. It's grass roots is much poorer than men's so therefore grassroots mens football is obviously going to be of a lower quality.

As for we have no hope of winning gold, well I don't think you can say that because while you may think our women's team is poor (it's not btw), it's all relative. Have you seen any other women's teams play? We have more chance than the men do in our respective competitions to place in the medals. And if that happens there will be a serge in popularity because the nation loves football and success (especially is above the mens) will be latched on to.

Anyway they shoudl have all the attention on Wednesday when they play their opener as it's the only and the first GB olympic event.

SackRace
24-07-2012, 05:44 PM
just got offered a ticket too see france v usa tomorrow at hamden

should i go or not :S

mrwoooooooo
24-07-2012, 09:10 PM
i wouldnt bother

Kasabian
25-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Isn't the thing with Scotland and N. Ireland that they actually withdrew all their international players or something? That's the story I heard, it wouldn't shock me tbh and it's not like we're missing any superstars from them...

Yeah they did. I can think of two Scottish players who might have got in the team; Barry Bannon & Steven Fletcher. Maybe even Darren Fletcher, just unfortunate to be injured. As for NI, Shane Ferguson springs to mind.

FlyingJesus
25-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Good move on their parts I reckon - I'd certainly rather withdraw from the runnings than be humiliated by first off only having 1 player drafted to the squad and then having to watch the awful team lose every game :P

ihatehash
25-07-2012, 04:23 PM
just got offered a ticket too see france v usa tomorrow at hamden

should i go or not :S

London probably wont host the olympics for another 50 years, why waste your chance to make the most of it?

On another note, Lets go football ferns!

EDIT: Nek Minut GB scores. lame.

SackRace
25-07-2012, 04:24 PM
London probably wont host the olympics for another 50 years, why waste your chance to make the most of it?

On another note, Lets go football ferns!

its in scotland

ihatehash
25-07-2012, 04:26 PM
its in scotland
So then that is probably your only chance to get involved in the london olympics? correct?

SackRace
25-07-2012, 04:36 PM
So then that is probably your only chance to get involved in the london olympics? correct?

yes i decided not to go cause it'll be ****

luce
25-07-2012, 08:27 PM
The atmosphere seems kl today in Cardiff but again I would only go if I was watching team GB because that's all I care about - i'd been watching all of the game regardless of whether it was in London because I love sport.

On another note woowoo team GB women's football ;)

FlyingJesus
25-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Can we just cancel the rest of the Olympics now and claim we win overall before the men's team embarrass us

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!