PDA

View Full Version : Special Constable

Jarkie
04-07-2012, 10:09 PM
I have been offered an interview to become a special constable once I start uni. Has anyone been to one of their interviews? Or is one? would like lots of information :)

I've been to a PCSO training day before, is it like that.. or?..

flatface
05-07-2012, 01:54 PM
I have been offered an interview to become a special constable once I start uni. Has anyone been to one of their interviews? Or is one? would like lots of information http://www.habboxforum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I've been to a PCSO training day before, is it like that.. or?..

With the met?

Day 1 - Compentency based interview with 8 questions and a 30 minute English exam, if you pass then you go onto day 2.
Day 2 - Fitness test and medical, if you pass then you go onto vetting and security.

Jarkie
05-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Yes with the met.

Oh cool, :) ty

flatface
06-07-2012, 09:12 AM
I have an information pack somewhere in my room. During the interview you are tested/scored on respect for diversity, team working, customer and community focus, personal responsibility and effective communication. The fitness test consists of a bleep test and push and pull test I think and the medical will be BMI, blood pressure, hearing and eyesight test and specific concerns you may have regarding medical conditions etc.

I also had the pass rate figures from last year but seem to have misplaced them, it was roughly 5000 people interviewed and 1000ish passed day 1 and proceeded to day 2 I think.

Futz
06-07-2012, 09:54 AM
what is this like a police position

DPS
06-07-2012, 02:44 PM

Yeah but it isnt Full Time.
Specials tend to have day to day jobs, they get the same powers at normal police but dont do it full time.
If im right anyway.

---------- Post added 06-07-2012 at 03:44 PM ----------

Goodluck btw :)

Futz
06-07-2012, 02:47 PM
that sounds so sick, good luck getting in ezio

Nli.
06-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Specials tend to have day to day jobs, they get the same powers at normal police but dont do it full time.
If im right anyway.

Deadmau5 was sort of correct.

Special constables are volunteers. They have the same powers as an ordinary police officer they just don't get paid for their work. Depending on the force will depend on how many hours per month/week they should work. Many specials have other full-time jobs, and are a special in their free time.

Some people get confused with specials and PCSO's, where as a PCSO doesn't have the power of arrest they get paid, whereas the special does have the power of arrest (amongst other things) but don't get paid.

Sorry I couldn't help with the original post, currently awaiting for applications for my local force to open for either special or PC.

Jarkie
09-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Ok only just seen the replies to this thread! -oops! lets start;

I have an information pack somewhere in my room. During the interview you are tested/scored on respect for diversity, team working, customer and community focus, personal responsibility and effective communication. The fitness test consists of a bleep test and push and pull test I think and the medical will be BMI, blood pressure, hearing and eyesight test and specific concerns you may have regarding medical conditions etc.

I also had the pass rate figures from last year but seem to have misplaced them, it was roughly 5000 people interviewed and 1000ish passed day 1 and proceeded to day 2 I think.

Thank you so much for this, this kinda sounds like the PCSO training I visited, I'd imagine they are all pretty much the same. I will research more onto the subjects you have stated. Urgh its the fitness test that is putting me off, I hate the bleep test. I have done the push test before, that isn't so bad I guess lol. And the good old medical.. I presume it will be the same as the Army ones?

Its a volunteer position with the met, which also gives you a huge advantaged with the Met, if you wish to become placed in a paid role.

If im right anyway.

Yes you are right - this though, we could have normal hours or small hours.. it depends on the area of need :) And thanks!

that sounds so sick, good luck getting in ezio

Hahaa, I know right! :P Thank you :)

Deadmau5 was sort of correct.

Special constables are volunteers. They have the same powers as an ordinary police officer they just don't get paid for their work. Depending on the force will depend on how many hours per month/week they should work. Many specials have other full-time jobs, and are a special in their free time.

Some people get confused with specials and PCSO's, where as a PCSO doesn't have the power of arrest they get paid, whereas the special does have the power of arrest (amongst other things) but don't get paid.

Sorry I couldn't help with the original post, currently awaiting for applications for my local force to open for either special or PC.

When I went to the PCSO open training day they were all volunteers non-paid, so I think only some are paid in this area. Ah nice one bud! I have been told to wait till August to apply. :)

Nli.
09-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Ok only just seen the replies to this thread! -oops! lets start;

Thank you so much for this, this kinda sounds like the PCSO training I visited, I'd imagine they are all pretty much the same. I will research more onto the subjects you have stated. Urgh its the fitness test that is putting me off, I hate the bleep test. I have done the push test before, that isn't so bad I guess lol. And the good old medical.. I presume it will be the same as the Army ones?

Its a volunteer position with the met, which also gives you a huge advantaged with the Met, if you wish to become placed in a paid role.

Yes you are right - this though, we could have normal hours or small hours.. it depends on the area of need :) And thanks!

Hahaa, I know right! :P Thank you :)

When I went to the PCSO open training day they were all volunteers non-paid, so I think only some are paid in this area. Ah nice one bud! I have been told to wait till August to apply. :)

Good luck with it! and I thought the PCSO's were paid all over the country, strange!

flatface
09-07-2012, 03:05 PM
PCSO's are paid in the met and the special constable application process is similar to the regular full time PC process (minus the role plays and additional english exam), which is different to the PCSO process.

Jarkie
09-07-2012, 09:05 PM
OH I see, thank you! :)

Arron
11-07-2012, 05:58 PM
I had an interview for a role as a Special Constable. If you need to ask any questions just ask. I'm no expert but I've been there before and know how to prepare etc. I applied for Merseyside, though,

BOOMitsGINA
12-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Tell me how it goes and what its like please?
As when I leave school I want to take police as a career maybe just be a constable or work with the dogs not sure :) But next year I can join police cadets which is like helping the police but not have the powers so i dont know haha xD
I know what the exams are like cos when I was on work experience I took them and they didn't seem too hard to be honest.. but I don't know what they will be like in a few years haha

Nli.
15-07-2012, 12:07 PM
There aren't any formal exams to becoming a police constable, just basic English and Maths. You'll obviously need to pass their testing.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!